Adding brakes to Dexter Axles with flanges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Adding brakes to Dexter Axles with flanges

A couple years ago, I finished a complete remodel on my 13 foot 1975 Boler including a new Dexter axle. I added the brake flanges but I never added the actual brakes. Now I'm thinking about having them. I can't seem to wrap my head around the parts list that's needed. Regardless, this job is beyond my pay grade and I'd really like to have it done correct. I'll need to have a pro do this. Does anybody have a parts list? And is there a ballpark figure for the parts and labor? Does anybody happen to have a recommended shop in the Santa Barbara/Ventura area? Thanks for any help.
brownrecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #2

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Brakes on a dexter axle.

Hi,
I own a 97 Scamp 16'. I bought it in Oct of 2013. When I checked the brakes I found that the shoes were bare metal but no damage to the hubs. I have the Dexter 3,500 lb axle. I thought about replacing the shoes but when I checked on ebay I found that I could buy complete Chinese brake units with backing plates for about $65 a pair. I see they are now $82.77 with free shipping. I bought them and it was I think a 4 bolt installation and a couple of elect. splices. One person's easy is another's nightmare but I found it an easy job. I have hauled the trailer over 12,000 miles since then with no problems with the brakes.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

George
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You would need complete brake assemblies, new hubs with drums, break away switch, wiring and a brake controller for your tow vehicle. The most informative web site is Eastern Marine Trailer Parts Superstore. There are probably local suppliers that have the products in stock but this website will give you a pretty good idea of the parts you would need. Since you have the axles with flanges the installation is "bolt on" and electrical work. No welding necessary. If you have a "Six Roblees" in your area I do recommend them for buying parts. Six Roblees might be able to refer you to a shop. Best of luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, brakes