adding trailer tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 73 Trillum 98 Scamp 16ft. 2007 Escape 17ft.
British Columbia
adding trailer tail lights

I'm thinking of adding tail lights up higher on the trailer above the bicycles has anyone done this or know of any rules about Thanks John T
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You can get a LED light bar to mount above the rear window. I have one on both our fiberglass trailers. It's about 18" long and is marker light, turn light, and stop light. One time I made a 4 foot bar with lights on it to mount on a bike rack because the bikes partially blocked the trailer tail lights.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0555.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Ive seen threads here on that.. in the search menu, try the Custom Google search. It seems to work better.

One of my favs was a Tee shaped metal bracket that went under the spare, attached to the mounting bolts, with the top of the Tee above the tire. Light was mounted on the top of the tee and wire run (I think) down and under the camper so there where no holes int he shell, only in the wood floor.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp will do it as an option on some models, as will Escape, so I think it unlikely to cause a problem.

Another solution I have toyed with is adding a 4-way connector at the back bumper and mounting tail lights on the bike rack. I have seen rear cargo carriers with their own set of lights, so that ought to be legit, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Another solution I have toyed with is adding a 4-way connector at the back bumper and mounting tail lights on the bike rack.
That's what I did. I like the high mount light because it can be seen better by anyone following close, especially a truck.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #6

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
I added 2 vertical lights either side of the rest window on my Casita. They're 17inches long and are led's,very bright and safe. Do a search on the Casita forum, I think it's listed as "third tail light". A poster gives directions with photos. You need to remove inside window trim and peel back the fur a bit, then snake wires down below rear seat to tap into existing wiring. It's a bit of work but worth it.
Adirondack Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I think I like the light bar depicted in Mary & Bob's post#2.

Here's a Plan B that is wireless, which has advantages and drawbacks. Advantagers include ease of installation and the LEDs are very bright. Drawbacks include you should turn it off to conserve batteries, and possibly theft.

There are other models, but this is one. Make certain the wireless range works from your tow vehicle.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
My lights are similar to Mary and Bob's, except I used two light bars and placed them inside our Scamp at the top of the back window, one on each side. I snaked the wires behind the rat fur and have them connected to my tail lights and turn signals so they work in conjunction with the lower bulbs.
The picture is not the best, since it's raining, dark, and I had to partially climb up a hill our Scamp backs up to.
I had to trim some of the travel decals I had at the top of the window so the lights would not be blocked! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180228_195833655.jpg  
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 73 Trillum 98 Scamp 16ft. 2007 Escape 17ft.
British Columbia
Thanks

Thanks everyone great info as all ways. The wireless from Tom, I will investigate sounds like an easy fix if not I can easy wire in a new light on each side just above the belly band. Thanks again John T
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Easy to read article aummerizing the DOT regulations which you must follow. Do not just randomly follow what people in the forums say because it sounds good or convenient. You must comply with the DOT regulations in order to be legal.
Department of Transportation Trailer Light Regulations | USA Today

The DOT regulations for trailer lights as stated in the article.

As far apart as possible

Located between 15 and 72 inches from the ground. That 6 foot high from the ground maximum height should hopefully get you high enough over the bicycles for good tail light visibility.

Those third tail light bars above or below the window are exactly that...a third tail light They do not qualify as being "as far apart on the trailer as possible". They are useful of course but they are not your primary tail lights.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:57 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
KC, I read the DOT regs you posted for lighting. As all those are covered with the original TT build. The additional lights being talked about here are over and above the regs and only a plus for being seen.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #12

New York
The light bar I used replaces the 3 center marker lights and lights up in that configuration, plus acting as a high mount stop light and turn light.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I see semi-trailers decked out like Christmas trees. I'm having a hard time imagining any patrol officer having an issue with a second set of rear taillights in any reasonable location (as long as they are red).

Another simple safety upgrade is DOT reflective tape. It is most effective down low on the bumper, where it catches the headlights of an overtaking vehicle from a greater distance.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
My setup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-23-2012 004.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	116352
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags