Advice on Flipping Axle on 2016 Bigfoot 25B175FB - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #21

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I'll take a photo this weekend Jack.

This is what the kit looks like Jack.

https://www.trailerblocks.com/?gclid...SAAEgJCmvD_BwE
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #22

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Bigfoot Axle Change/Flip Follow-Up Questions

All,

I'm finally getting around to doing this modification and am hoping to get into a shop within the next week. I have a couple follow-up questions after re-reading through the posts. I'm not a mechanic so please humor me if a few of these questions are naive.

1. If I go to a straight axle setup from the 4'' drop, do I need to replace the other components as well (spindles, brakes, etc), or can I use the same components from the drop axle? Is this true still if I change axle brands (go from a Standens Axle to a Dexter for instance)?

2. The specifications stamped on my current axle are as follows: Standens LTD Type 13 HRM 6-44 4400 lb SLR 13.3 SN A66701. I can't find the exact specifications based on these details when I look at Standens website, but by my quick tape measure tonight it seems to be about 66.5 '' from spring center to spring center and around 77.5'' from Hub face to Hub face. Does anyone know of an exact way to get the specifications from the model number above?

3. Tidewater, your solution sounds promising; could you post some pics of how it turned out? What are the specs on the axle you added (brand, spring center and hub face to hub face measurements, etc)? It sounds like your original axle might have been the same as mine.

4. If I elect to flip the axle (rather than go straight axle), what do I do with the spring center that's currently beneath the axle? Is it cut off then re-welded on the top of the axle, or is it best to purchase another spring center to go on top of the axle?

5. Raspy mentioned the possibility of mounting the drop axle "upside down". I presume this would give about an 8'' lift, even if I kept the springs mounted beneath the axle as they currently are- is this a viable option? I'm guessing there must be more to it since nobody else mentioned it before.

6. I've attached a few more pictures.

Cheers,

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7881.jpg   IMG_7882.jpg  

IMG_7886.jpg   IMG_7888.jpg  

rdf0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #23

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I don't know the answers to most of your questions. As far as components, that's a good question. Most times people are doing this on older trailers and so why would you use old brake parts? But yours is pretty new. All the same, getting a Dexter axle, hub to hub, is not very expensive and comes with all those parts.

I would not recommend going over 4" lift. 8" would be ridiculous. I went from the drop axle to a straight axle. I take my camper down some crazy roads. What I've realized is that any road I need more clearance for, I shouldn't be taking the trailer down. This is not an offroad trailer. Those kinds of road are really rough on it, and these days if I know I want to get down a lot of crazy roads, I leave the trailer at home.

There are people here (I may be one of them before long) who, after converting to a straight axle, then used that extra space to put on 15" wheels and tires, getting another inch clearance. Personally I have no interest in any more lift, but there are a lot more tire options when we get into the 15" wheels.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #24

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Ryan one of the issues with having that much lift is trailer sway.

I had a lift kit put on my trailer last fall its 4" higher than before.

The before and after photo's.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2464.jpg   DSCN2817.JPG  

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #25

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bigfoot lift

[QUOTE=rdf0011;713068]All,

1. If I go to a straight axle setup from the 4'' drop, do I need to replace the other components as well (spindles, brakes, etc), or can I use the same components from the drop axle? Is this true still if I change axle brands (go from a Standens Axle to a Dexter for instance)?

The brake, bearing and hub components are interchangeable from brand to brand. From your photo you have 6 lug wheels, so you should also have 12 inch brakes. If everything is in good shape, these should be reusable

4. If I elect to flip the axle (rather than go straight axle), what do I do with the spring center that's currently beneath the axle? Is it cut off then re-welded on the top of the axle, or is it best to purchase another spring center to go on top of the axle?

Spring perches are not expensive so buying new ones would be best. If you flip the drop axle, you do not get any more ground clearance. You do raise the frame and body, but the axle tube is still the same distance from the ground. If you will be going down unimproved roads, this is not ideal.

5. Raspy mentioned the possibility of mounting the drop axle "upside down". I presume this would give about an 8'' lift, even if I kept the springs mounted beneath the axle as they currently are- is this a viable option? I'm guessing there must be more to it since nobody else mentioned it before.

I would never consider this for several reasons. I saw a small stickey in Moab a few years ago with this mod. and it was ridiculously tall. Axles usually have a curve in them to give the wheels and tires some camber and if you did this, your camber would be in the wrong direction aand cause excessive tire edge wear.

Remember that your Bigfoot has a large frontal area that creates wind resistance and raising the height increases the wind drag. If I has your trailer, I would change to a straight axle mounted above the springs. I modified my 94 Bigfoot 17 this way and I'm happy with the results.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #26

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I agree. The full package Dexter straight axle (hubs, brakes etc), springs mounted above the axle. You don't want more lift than that. Measure your current axle, hub to hub. I think there were 3 sizes I was choosing between. No matter what you go with, you'll be fine.

However if had to do it over again, I'd err on the "wide" side. The choices are only a few inches apart, if I remember right. I ended up with an axle maybe an inch or two more narrow than my old one. An inch or two wider would have been better, but thousands of miles later, I've had no problems.

But yeah, I wouldn't want my trailer any taller than it is.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bigfoot