Advice on tow vehicle: F-150 with Bigfoot 5th wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Clip: The bad news is...
What you have is basicly a "car" engine in a truck.
The good news is...
It is one of the most developed engines in history.
It should not be hard to find a knowledgable speed shop which could make a few mods which would make significant performance changes for the task at hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to beat this topic to death (but I will)......

The 302 wasn't that well a developed engine when that one was built 20 years ago.
I had an almost new Ford p/u with a 302 in it when I bought my airstream back in the late 70's and, after three short trips pulling an Airstream, that weighed about the same as the mentioned BigFoot, I traded in the Ford for a Chevy with a 350, and pulled the Airstream over 22,000 miles in one year without problems.

Adding performance stuff to a 20 y.o. engine, with 170,000km on it, may not be the best idea to retain reliability.

IMHO: The most developed engine in history remains the Chevy small block V8, from 265 to 350 c.i., (as well as the respected 262 c.i. V6 derivatives), now in it's 58th year.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
265-400
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Clip: The bad news is...
What you have is basicly a "car" engine in a truck.
The good news is...
It is one of the most developed engines in history.
It should not be hard to find a knowledgable speed shop which could make a few mods which would make significant performance changes for the task at hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to beat this topic to death (but I will)......

The 302 wasn't that well a developed engine when that one was built 20 years ago.
I had an almost new Ford p/u with a 302 in it when I bought my airstream back in the late 70's and, after three short trips pulling an Airstream, that weighed about the same as the mentioned BigFoot, I traded in the Ford for a Chevy with a 350, and pulled the Airstream over 22,000 miles in one year without problems.

Adding performance stuff to a 20 y.o. engine, with 170,000km on it, may not be the best idea to retain reliability.

IMHO: The most developed engine in history remains the Chevy small block V8, from 265 to 350 c.i., (as well as the respected 262 c.i. V6 derivatives), now in it's 58th year.
It wouldn't have taken a Jeanne Dixon to see that coming.....

What was meant was that there are lots of Motorsports and aftermarket performance parts available, The engine platform has had fifty years of development behind it and, last I checked, is still being produced for aftermarket applications. A 170,000km would be a concern if it were a SBC, but it ain't. That's barely over 100,000 miles, which makes it at least as good as new Chevy!(Hey! You started it!)
But anyway, you missed the point....I said "one of" the most developed engine platforms in history.That's indisputable.
There are several others of course, but it may be as you say, that the Chevy has needed the most development.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote