Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #155

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The first post contains the following statement by Bob Miller:

"What's a "Weight Reduction Hitch" and how does it work?
I wanna get one of those so I can pull a larger trailer with my Honda."

I did not notice if you mentioned the specific larger trailer that you want to tow or the particular Honda that you tow with. Facts and numbers might help responders.
Bob was kidding around, Norm- there's no such thing as a "weight reduction hitch", as we all know! The previous poster who'd used the term meant "weight distributing hitch" and said so a few posts later....get it?

I guess this is what comes from splitting a subject off from another thread!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #156

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Precisely right George, owner drilled holes to retain tension brackets on the frame. There is user feedback on Reese wdh elsewhere which describes brackets moving on the frame, bending, etc. Buyer beware of a product about which YOU need to know a lot more than the rep/distributor/installer can tell you. There are many such products sketchily-supported by the quote/unquote industry (read rv biz).

Jared has described the precise situation (vee culvert crossing, abrupt street to driveway angle) that gets folks in trouble with these hitches. How many users KNOW to let the tension off those bars BEFORE backing? How many will remember to do so when the situation occurs? Consequences are much worse than dragging a tongue jack but you may be the operator who has everything and does everything right.

jack

Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #157

Registry
Just one more example of the wisdom of matching tug-to-tow to begin with...

I got in to trailering because it made camping EASIER...and I'll be blowed if I'll add complications back in by having to deal with mechanical compensators just to get to the camp spot!

Francesca
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #158

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Precisely right George, owner drilled holes to retain tension brackets on the frame. There is user feedback on Reese wdh elsewhere which describes brackets moving on the frame, bending, etc. Buyer beware of a product about which YOU need to know a lot more than the rep/distributor/installer can tell you. There are many such products sketchily-supported by the quote/unquote industry (read rv biz).

Jared has described the precise situation (vee culvert crossing, abrupt street to driveway angle) that gets folks in trouble with these hitches. How many users KNOW to let the tension off those bars BEFORE backing? How many will remember to do so when the the the situation occurs? Consequences are much worse than dragging a tongue jack but you may be the operator who has everything and does everything right.

jack
Jack,
Yes, and had the user in that case welded the brackets to the trailer frame, and been using the correct weight bars, there is probably a pretty good chance his frame would still be just fine. Welding the brackets is generally one of the accepted methods supported by the hitch manufacturers.
I would add to your comment about the rv biz. When I was looking to buy a WD hitch, I stopped by our local hitch shop. The nice lady told me the only hitch bars they sell were 1200 pound bars, and that "they would work just fine" for my application. I politely thanked her and turned around and walked out. The correct bars for my combination is 550 bars, which is what I ended up buying (from another shop) with my BlueOx swaypro.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #159

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well Francesca as Toyota is no long offering it, it would seem Toyota agrees with you
Toyota is no longer offering - at least for 2013 - the V6, with its corresponding engine cooling capacity and transmission. I have seen no information to suggest that this marketing choice has anything to do with towing, related to weight distribution hitches or otherwise.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #160

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
epa says they're too dirty. I wish they would, look at what europe has.
The reality is that the US EPA is intimately familiar with Euro standards and products available in the market. Now, back to WDH sytems?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #161

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
That's because there are so many fewer people breathing it!

Francesca
It just seems that way due to land mass (2nd largest in the world) vs population. In 2011 Metro Vancouver area had a population of 2,313,328.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #162

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Wow, I guess it has been a while since we bought a draw bar. I thought they were cheap.
They are - $20 to $30 at eTrailer and lots of other places. A lot cheaper than using a WD system because the ball is in the wrong place for the tug...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #163

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here in BC in particular Vancouver/Whistler area the transit buses are moving away from diesel so we have a large number of transit buses running Hydrogen Fuel cell or Natural gas or electric. Currently Whistler has the biggest fleet of Hydrogen Fuel cell buses in the world. Many of the Down town Vancouver transit buses are electric.
That has lots to do with the high cost of fuel in the Vancouver area (relative to elsewhere in Canada), the artificially low cost of CNG (no road tax), the availability of hydroelectric power in B.C., and even the presence of Ballard in Burnaby. It probably has nothing to do with "clean diesel", and certainly engines of any kind have nothing to do with weight-distributing hitch systems.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #164

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Toyota is no longer offering - at least for 2013 - the V6, with its corresponding engine cooling capacity and transmission. I have seen no information to suggest that this marketing choice has anything to do with towing, related to weight distribution hitches or otherwise.
Brian I think you will agree that vehicle manufactures pay big bucks to have their press releases done and will go out of their way to avoid mentioning any negative reasons behind the decision to change their product line ups. They as you know will always put the best spin on their changes as possible. What sounds better - We are changing our line up to conform with CAFE standards to save the environment or we are changing our line because the RAV4 V6 didn't meet the new safe towing standards we agreed to test our vehicles against? or perhaps they have simple had one to many warranty claims regarding the soft back end resulting from towing. Or it could be a combination of those reasons plus a few more no one here has even considered.

The consumer is never going to be told all the reasons behind changes in vehicle offerings & they are for sure not likely to publish them.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #165

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Or maybe it was aliens.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #166

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or maybe it was aliens.
Yup could be! One things for sure we the end user will never know.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #167
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Or maybe it was aliens.
Despite watching countless hours of the X File, Maggie still doesn't buy that one.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #168

Registry
Quote:
Or maybe it was aliens.
That's it!
Aliens that inhale CO and exhale O! Why does Canada get all the breaks, ET-wise? ...

Francesca