Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The discussion of weight distribution hitches should be moved from this thread, to the Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear group.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Im guessing my tongue weight is around 260lbs... its 220 dry add 40lbs propane now i have 2 batteries but they are in the rear behind the axle
I haven't tried it with water in the tank...will do that to see the change in tongue weight full or empty

Deryk

Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Give thought to David's advice. A bent frame is a heartbreaker!

Jack
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #18

New Jersey
Registry
Well Chandler at ParkLiner didn't think it would be a problem... but i wonder how 20 gallons of water on the otherside of the axle will effect the tongue weight?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The fact that weight distributing hitches do NOT increase load capacity cannot be overemphasized, in my opinion.

In fact, the addition of such a setup can actually reduce available weight-carrying capacity of the tongue since w/d hitches tend to weigh more than conventional setups. That extra poundage must be taken into account when judging if one is within the hitch weight limits of the tow vehicle.

Francesca

P.S.

I think it's already been said, but:
Air bags don't increase weight-carrying capacity either, though they may smooth out the ride a bit.

F.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
The airbags in my case would limit compression of the rear springs which is a known issue in Rav4's...the wdh will add to the tongue weight but will spread the load out to the other 2 axles... does not increase towing capacit.

Deryk
Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #21

Registry
You're in good shape so long as you understand that "adding to the tongue weight" is key- while those add-ons may improve handling, they do not change/raise the weight limit at the vehicle hitch, as allowed by your vehicle manufacturer.

Francesca
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #22

Alberta
Registry
The first time I had this discussion was on this thread:
Increasing the carrying capacity of a Trillium
On page 5 of the thread, there is a picture of a Olds Tornado that is connected to a boat trailer using a weight distribution hitch. The funny thing is that they took the rear wheels off the car and the axle is still suspended in the air. When you look at is that way, you can see that the highest stress point is now right at the hitch. Imagine what the load is on the front axle of the car.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #23

Registry
I looked at your thread just now (briefly)- didn't get much beyond the...gulp...seven people you talk about carrying...is that still the number???

Are you sure that when towing you're not going to seriously exceed the gross weight limit of the tow vehicle, with the add-ons and all?

You might do the worksheet at the page in my signature below...

Francesca
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #24

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
When we picked up our Egg Camper from the factory we were told that, under no circumstances, should we use a weight distributing hitch. Seems to me that it would be a good idea not to use one with other molded trailers.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #25

Alberta
Registry
Francesca, Thank you for your concern. Two of my kids are less then 50 lbs. Two more are about 100 lbs. The oldest child is 18 and about 150 lbs. So, while the number of people is high, the weight is more like four adults. With most of the cargo in the trailer, we are OK.
We took the trailer to Vancouver Island this summer. Due to me not tightening the lug nuts on the trailer enough, the trailer almost lost a wheel. It was swaying all over the road. While the tail was waging the dog, the van never felt out of control.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
When we picked up our Egg Camper from the factory we were told that, under no circumstances, should we use a weight distributing hitch. Seems to me that it would be a good idea not to use one with other molded trailers.
Well, Escape recommends a WDH with front-wheel-drive vehicles in particular. So, I would suggest it would be a good idea to discuss this with the factory, prior to buying the trailer.
Did Egg Camper rep give you any reasons for the position?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #27

Registry
It would be interesting to find out what revisions Escape made to the Trillium platform frame they started with- especially since Trillium Tom cautions against a wdh in the case of his units.

Is Escape on fatter channel maybe???

Francesca
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
The body construction - moulded fiberglass for any trailer in this forum's subject area - has nothing to do with the trailer's frame structure, so the suitabilty of one model's frame for WDH use has nothing to do with an unrelated model's frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Well, Escape recommends a WDH with front-wheel-drive vehicles in particular. So, I would suggest it would be a good idea to discuss this with the factory, prior to buying the trailer.
I agree... get trailer-specific recommendations from the trailer's manufacturer (if available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
It would be interesting to find out what revisions Escape made to the Trillium platform frame they started with- especially since Trillium Tom cautions against a wdh in the case of his units.

Is Escape on fatter channel maybe???
I was told at the Escape factory that the inspiration for the Escape design was more specifically the Surfside, but yes, that's in the Trillium family.

All of the Trillium family designs seem to have a vaguely similar design: stepped up at the back by overlapping rails, generally using the main frame rails continued to form an A-frame tongue, and usually bent up at the base of the tongue to reach the desired coupling height. The details are important, and they vary greatly; for instance, some Escapes have no bend upward in the tongue, and all Escape bends that I have seen (horizontal to form the "A" or vertical to change height) are much better fabricated than the original Trillium frame bends.

Escape frames - and the Outback and Trillium frames I've seen - are rectangular tube (not channel), but of course they vary in dimensions (including wall thickness). In a 21' Escape Update, Reace mentioned that this new largest model will have a 2"x4" box steel frame (the same as my 17' Boler).

Another potential factor is that the shorter the distance from tug rear axle to trailer axle, the greater the share of load transferred to the trailer. With TrilliumRV making only a 13' model, and Escape starting with 17' (although now offering 15' and even 13'), the two companies might have different perspectives on the risk of excessive load transfer.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote