Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 22 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #295

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Guess I've got an oddball aluminum 1-7/8" for the utility trailer that came from somewheres else and has 1" shank as it's interchangeable in the bore of the three stingers I have. BICBW. So cold right now I'm not gonna check. Ooooh, now I get it. All my stingers are class III and I've got four balls all of which have 1" shanks including the 1-7/8".

jack

Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #296
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
It needs a 1 1/4"shaft and walmart only had 3/4" shafts...if you buy 1 on a receiver already they are 1 1/4".... The thicker shafts are rated for alot higher weight, so I figure I would rather go that route...or pull mine off the old receiver and use that, since that adjustable one is gonna go in my closet and kind of be retired.

deryk
You might try an auto parts store. Pulling the old one off might be harder than you think. Mine froze. It would spin but not loosen.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #297

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
  • 5/8" shank (rare) typically for Class 1, so expect only 1-7/8" balls
  • 3/4" shank normal for Class 2, so expect only 1-7/8" and 2" balls; 3/4" hole found in ball mounts for 1.25" receivers
  • 1" shank normal for Classes 3 and 4, so expect only 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16" balls; 1" hole typically found in ball mounts for 2" receivers, and never in ball mounts for 1.25" receivers
  • 1-1/4" shank used sometimes for Class 4 and capacities beyond Class 4, so expect any size of ball (1-7/8", 2", 2-5/16", 3") but smaller ball sizes less common; 1-1/4" hole found only in ball mounts for 2" and larger receivers (and other styles of heavy-duty hitch)

It is routine to offer small-diameter balls with unnecessarily large shanks, because that allows people such as deryk to tow small trailers with their higher capacity hitch gear. The other way to accomplish this is to use a bushing to match the smaller (3/4" or 1" in this case) to the bigger (1-1/4" in this case) ball mount hole, although bushings will likely only exist to bridge one 1/4" step in diameter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #298

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah...I would rather get the right size shank...its an overkill at 10000 lbs but better to be safe then sorry

deryk
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #299

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Guess I've got an oddball aluminum 1-7/8" for the utility trailer that came from somewheres else and has 1" shank
Not odd ball Reese does make them with 1" & 3/4" shanks. I know our local Walmart and Canadian Tire stores sells the Reese 1" and 3/4" shanks for a 1 7/8" ball but they are often mixed up on the same hanger - got to read the package carefully before purchasing. ;-) guess how I know that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #300

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
My Trillium's original coupler was 1-7/8, and once I asked a fellow to move the trailer for me. He had only a 2" ball on his truck, and I thought I could just lend him the (3/4" shank) ball off my ballmount...wrong! It was only a move of a few blocks, so a few wraps of duct tape sufficed to firm it up enough to go that distance.

After that fiasco I added a shimsleeve to my kit in case the need ever arises again. It allows for the use of my 3/4 " shanked ball on any 1" ballmount.

Since I subsequently changed the trailer coupler to use the same 2" ball most trucks are running around with, I'll probably never again encounter the same situation- but if I do, I'm ready!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #301

New Jersey
Registry
My little homebuilt trailer had a smaller one on it i upgraded it to a 2" because its a more common size. Makes sense

Deryk
Old 02-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #302

New Jersey
Registry
Ok, I think we have had a success with the airbags in the rear coil springs. I didnt get to measure the distance because I had the trailer tucked away in a spoton my friends property and since Im bringing it home in 3 weeks I didnt feel like moveing it this weekend.

Photo 1 is hooked up with my ParkLiner in virginia when I bought it...notice the squatt.

Photo 2 shows my caravan hooked to my Rav4 but the jack is supporting the ParkLiner

Photo 3 shows the airbags eliminateing the squat with the jack up and the tongue supporting its full weight. It dropped down an inch or so, but the air bags don't fully fill the coil spring.

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
24.jpg   JackSupportingCaravan.jpg  

AirBagSupportingCaravan.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #303

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think you have a winner.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #304

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Houston we have lift off!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #305

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Jim! She is never gonna sit tall since the rear end is kinda low... next tv will be taller! Hopefully have learned a lesson lol...taller then my pt cruiser but not tall enough lol

deryk
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #306

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Can't see the front end of the RAV in the "after shots" Deryk but I'm happy if you are. I blew em all up to see where the rocker panel sits relative to the "spinner" in the middle of the wheel or wheel cover. I'd like to see a full-length of the lashup and particuarly the RAV. Just to reassure myself that I didn't give you bad juju.

jack
Old 02-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #307

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Looks much better, Deryk!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about how she rides, too...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #308

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Coachmen Clipper 16B
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Thanks Jim! She is never gonna sit tall since the rear end is kinda low... next tv will be taller! Hopefully have learned a lesson lol...taller then my pt cruiser but not tall enough lol

deryk
3rd row springs will eek out even more height, and increase payload cap by 300 lbs!