Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #57

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
ah ok Bob... yeah just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing... just ordered it and naturally the 10% off promo didn't cover firestone products lol

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #58

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If it handled pretty well before, I would try it with just the air bags before spending money on a wd hitch. That might easily be all you need.

On another note, a regular wd hitch will actually make sway more likely, by unloading the rear end. So, it's important to get one with a sway system.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #59
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
On another note, a regular wd hitch will actually make sway more likely, by unloading the rear end. So, it's important to get one with a sway system.
If a WDH is "set up wrong" and is taking too much weight off the rear end it could cause sway or handling issues.

If set up correctly it would help to prevent sway and improve stability.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #60

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
+1 what Jared says, Deryk. Try the air bags first. They will remove the suspension sag, raise the hitch, and get the headllights out of the sky. Too bad they don't spec Timbren donuts for the RAV. They do the job just fine on the 4runner.

jack
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #61

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Not to split hairs, but TrilliumRV makes a 15' 4500, (1500) as well as the 13' 1300. It was the 15' unit that Tom Young was commenting.
Thanks for the correction, David. I had not realized - or had forgotten - that TrilliumRV eventually did make the larger model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Kinda a moot point, since the coupler to axle length is the same on both.
That doesn't seem to make sense: if the 1300 and 4500 were exactly the same length ball-to-axle, then all two additional feet of the 4500 would be between the axle and bumper - the trailer would be tail-heavy.

In fact, the model names only give approximate lengths, the spec difference is 22", and the side view drawings in the TrilliumRV brochure indicate that the tongue portion of frame ahead of the bodies is the same, about 2/3 of the additional body length is behind the axle, and the remaining 1/3 (perhaps 7") is ahead of the axle and adds to coupler-to-axle length. It isn't a lot of difference, and perhaps in real production units it is even further reduced by having less tongue length.

The change in proportions does affect the balance, shifting tongue weight as a fraction of unloaded trailer weight from 11.4% (1300) to 9.4% (4500).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #62

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yup, already ordered
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #63

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I call em' "Air Springs" because that's what Firestone call's em'.
Both styles are springs. Coil-Rite are bags which require the surrounding coil spring for structure; Ride-Rites have reinforcement (like tire cords - not just a coincidence that these come from Firestone) because they don't go in a coil.

Air Lift is the other big brand in this market; Firestone is apparently the leader in the heavy truck field.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #64

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think a conclusion that airbags are needed or even wise is premature in this case. IF all the numbers are correct and the (mfr.-approved?) w/d setup is properly adjusted, the tug should be much more level that it appears to be in the pics (Unhitched tug pictured for comparison):

If the w/d system can't be adjusted to level the rig as it's supposed to do, I frankly see little good in using it at all. This especially since any small (and secondary) contribution to sway control this w/d setup might make is negated by the tug's "nose float" that appears inevitable to me...

Also, the extra ball-to-tug length on the w/d adds to the already additional stresses caused by the heavier hitch setup itself.

It would be most interesting to see this trailer hooked to the tug without the w/d hitch, which in my opinion may be doing more harm than good.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #65

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Francesca,
Deryk does not have a w/d hitch on his vehicle nor is one shown in the pictures. That is why he is going with the air bags as an option. If there were a w/d hitch then the vehicle should be level if properly set up.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #66

Delaware
Beat me to it, Jim but +2 on the RAV/ParkLiner lashup. No "trailerwaver" there.

jack
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #67

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Francesca,
Deryk does not have a w/d hitch on his vehicle nor is one shown in the pictures. That is why he is going with the air bags as an option. If there were a w/d hitch then the vehicle should be level if properly set up.
Good grief...I really do need an eye-check! My squinty-eyed scrutiny of the setup convinced me otherwise...

Why on earth is the ballmount so long, then????

I think there might be a lot of benefit in shortening that puppy up by a ways!

Francesca
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #68

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
He has the long stinger because of the spare, it seems. He could mount the spare on roof as Jon did and perhaps shorten his stinger. Now let's not start a new direction on stinger sizes....
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #69

Registry
If by "stinger" you mean the ballmount/drawbar or whatchamacallit with the ball on it, added length definitely affects load at the tug, so it seems to me that it's an appropriate consideration here.

As to the additional weight of the spare tire...?

I'm beginning to wonder if 350 pounds of tug hitch weight capacity is enough for all this!

Francesca
Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #70

Delaware
Francesca, I just finishing going to grainy rez with <control +> and indeed your eyes did detect something wierd which I think is a big drop stinger turned upside down for big rise as part of attempt to level the PL. If the tongue weight got any heavier on the PL, the next step would be dragway wheelie bars to keep the RAV bumper off the ground.

I think Deryk will be happy with his hardened suspension. TIme will tell.

jack

Ah, Jim clears leather so fast! Actually, it does look like Deryk is attempting to avoid interference with the spare AND get the ball high. That explains both the length and the rise in that thang that we refer to in the vernackular as the stinger.