Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #71

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now let's not start a new direction on stinger sizes....
Fractal thought branchings give some of us the shakes. These dern threads are supposed stay on topic, nine to the front six to the rear, eyes front, forraarhd haaarch!!!!!

jack

Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #72

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If by "stinger" you mean the ballmount/drawbar or whatchamacallit with the ball on it,
I questioned Jim the same on the Escape forum. It must be an eastern term, as I had never heard it before. He explained it is called that because of the effect it has when you accidentally hit it with your shin. I kinda wonder if it is like a bee that its 'stinger' will pull out of its rear end.

Though, they do like to call a fridge a frig....funny peoples.

Anyhoo, back on topic. I agree with trying some sort of beefed up suspension first, especially if there is significant drop on the bumper when hitched to the trailer. If after that there are any control or traction problems, a WDH should be considered.

It would be nice to be able to just rent one first, to see if it does work as you hope it might.

This is what Honda says about using a WDH from my manual, though it does sound a wee bit like they are just covering their butt should one not be used right is all.

A weight distributing hitch is not
recommended for use with your
vehicle, as an improperly adjusted
weight distributing hitch may reduce
handling, stability, and braking
performance.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #73

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have the same issue with my new FJ with the huge spare on the back, I found a jack that has a removable handle, will attempt a try out this week.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #74

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The thing that mystifies me is that this discussion is even going on surrounding such a light trailer and a tug that supposedly has 3500` pounds of towing capacity and 350 pounds of hitch WC...

It seems to me that there must be some wrong numbers somewhere!

Has the hitch/tongue combo been actually WEIGHED when all loaded up???

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #75

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Towing capacity has little to do with tongue weight which you would think it should. A tug maybe able to pull (towing capacity) 9000 lbs like my truck, but my tongue capacity is limited by my Gross carrying capacity which is around 1400 lbs. This includes passengers, fuel and "stuff" in the bed plus my tongue weight.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #76

Registry
Quote:
Towing capacity has little to do with tongue weight which you would think it should. A tug maybe able to pull (towing capacity) 9000 lbs like my truck, but my tongue capacity is limited by my Gross carrying capacity which is around 1400 lbs. This includes passengers, fuel and "stuff" in the bed plus my tongue weight.
Tongue weight is the limiter of towing capacity for bumper-pull units.

Regardless of how much "capacity" is allowed by other factors, the top gross weight can't exceed tongue by a factor much greater than 12-15.

Francesca
Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #77

Pennsylvania
Registry
I do not believe that this is a bumper pull but is a frame mounted receiver which normally is higher than bumper pulls. The bumper pulls seemed to have vanished when all these safety and rear end collision spec's caused the bumper to no longer be as strong as it was back in the chrome days. Now they are made to absorb vs protect the vehicle.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
I do not believe that this is a bumper pull but is a frame mounted receiver which normally is higher than bumper pulls. The bumper pulls seemed to have vanished when all these safety and rear end collision spec's caused the bumper to no longer be as strong as it was back in the chrome days. Now they are made to absorb vs protect the vehicle.
Looks like a semantics problem...

"Bumper pull trailer" doesn't differentiate between frame and bumper mounted hitches- it's a generic term used in the RV industry to differentiate from "fifth wheel trailer".

It covers all types of trailers/hitches attached at the rear of the vehicle, and the weight-bearing capacity at that point limits the total gross weight of the trailer to be pulled.

Francesca
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #79

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The thing that mystifies me is that this discussion is even going on surrounding such a light trailer and a tug that supposedly has 3500` pounds of towing capacity and 350 pounds of hitch WC...

Francesca
The dry weight of the ParkLiner is listed as 2100lb. I don't see that wgt. as being "light" for a 15" egg. Not that far off the dry wgt. of the old Burros which are longer, wider, double-hulled. I would hazard the guess that Deryk will be able to up that another 900lb. fairly easily. Let's say he only adds 700lb of gear, clothes, food staples, custom ugrades, awnings, aux. shelters and sunshades, Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples in six vols., etc. That's putting the trailer on a pretty severe diet imo, and he'll be up to 2800lb, which, if you believe in the 80% rule, puts the trailer wgt. at 80% of tow capacity with no consideration of tongue weight. That little light-weight trailer is right up against what the RAV is meant to do frame-wise, suspension-wise and very likely engine-wise. JMO. I don't know if Toyota is offering the 4L 6 in the RAV currently. That's the engine I have in the 4runner and I know there's a trailer back there.

jack
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #80

Delaware
If that's what "bumper pull" means currently, there's something wrong with currency! Back in the day before I knew squat (now know 2 squats) about camping trailers, it denoted a little 1 7/8" ball bolted thru the bumper with which you pulled a little tinker toy of a utility trailer.

jack
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #81

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
If that's what "bumper pull" means currently, there's something wrong with currency! Back in the day before I knew squat (now know 2 squats) about camping trailers, it denoted a little 1 7/8" ball bolted thru the bumper with which you pulled a little tinker toy of a utility trailer.

jack
That's a "bumper hitch", Jack. As I believe it was called even back in the day...

It's different from a "frame-mounted hitch" because , as you note, it's on the bumper instead of mounted to the frame. Neither of these can be/are called "bumper pulls" That's a trailer-related word (see above).

Bumper hitches are rarely used these days and certainly type is another limiting factor when towing.

We'll talk about The Law of The Weakest Link later...

Francesca

P.S.

If the Rav4 has 3500/350 pounds of towing capacity built in, why is it squatting like a catcher behind the plate when hooked up to that 2800 pound trailer?

Methinks there's a bit of over/under-stating going on somewhere...perhaps in the as-built suspension???

F.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #82

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I'd say the squatting has something to do with that long "stinger". It is acting like a pry bar for the tongue weight. I have considered a long stinger on my van so I could mount bikes to the back of the van. I even got a bike rack that the "stinger" would slide through. I have not used it yet though.

I never inflated the air bags on my van to more then 30psi. I should have asked when I had them installed, what is the maximum pressure I can run them?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #83

Registry
I'd really like to get a closer look at Deryk's hitch setup...I'm still confused by what I'm seeing...Are we sure we're not looking at a w/d setup without the bars, just lengths of chain where the bars should be???

I bring this up partly because of the length and what looks like a lot of bulk up towards the tug, but that "safety chain" hookup looks more like a WDH attachment bracket, especially given the location on the tongue.

Other pics I've seen of Parkliners show them up near the ball...not that it matters, safety-wise, but that doesn't appear to be Parkliner's "stock" arrangement.

Francesca
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #84
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Here is a pic of a pro set up with a lighter weight TV. The ball really should be as close to the back bumber as possible.

Note: Image taken from Airforums.com, post by Andrew T.