Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #121

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
The issue is that while the vehicle is capable of towing the weight, if the suspension was stiff enough to handle max tongue weight, 95% of the owners (that will never pull a trailer), will bitch about how "harsh" the ride is. Sadly, even pickups are heading this route, as most are being used to get the groceries and haul a bicycle, rather than heavy hauling/towing.

Air bags help the vehicle handle the max capacity better. That's why I recommend people do that first with soft suspension, otherwise a wd hitch is putting excessive weight on your trailer and front axle.

One thing that annoys me, often you can't get the factory tow package with the base model, but the stripped base model can handle the most weight. I had this problem with my pickup, because the tow package includes electric adjustable mirrors, so I would have had to jump up a model, and an interior package to get it. I went aftermarket.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #122

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I do understand the "soft ride" thing- that's exactly why I have adjustable air shocks on my 1965 Falcon station wagon. I'll bet you can't even BUY those for these rigs...I s'pose that air bags are considered the improvement in that department.

My only beef here is the claim of hitch capacity to be achieved with a "tow package" that does not include the suspension upfits necessary to achieve it.

Back to work now!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #123

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The hitch is at the other end.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #124
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
She is changing the oil. In my book she gets big points for that.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #125

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
My only beef here is the claim of hitch capacity to be achieved with a "tow package" that does not include the suspension upfits necessary to achieve it.
Francesca
Well Francesca as Toyota is no long offering it, it would seem Toyota agrees with you
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #126

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well Francesca as Toyota is no long offering it, it would seem Toyota agrees with you

Makes ya wonder huh?

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #127

Toyota is no longer offering it because they no longer offer the V6 as an option on the RAV4. The market for the RAV4 is mainly those looking for fuel efficient small SUVs. That and CAFE are setting the standards. Those of us who tow are a very low priority.
In a few years, you may find that you have no choice but to buy a pick-up truck if you need a new tow vehicle. And, it may drive itself, avoiding gravel roads...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #128

Corporate Average Fuel Economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

explains CAFE ( Corporate Average Fuel Economy ).
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #129

New Jersey
Registry
Thoroughly disgusting, I skimmed through it because some of it was greek to me lol but what about the rv industry? I dont want a big truck to haul my ParkLiner with lol... because to get the high mpg they are looking for its gonna be smaller engines, not geared for towing... maybe time to buy something and keep it for 20 years lol

deryk
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #130

Kansas
I'm sure the gas savings will be more than offset by the gain in cost for each vehicle. It's going to be clown cars, or 3/4 ton pickups. You can forget all wheel drive, Subaru better start engineering front wheel drives.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #131

New Jersey
Registry
They could just switch over to all diesel vehicles... better mpg and higher towing ability

deryk
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #132

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
They could just switch over to all diesel vehicles... better mpg and higher towing ability

deryk
epa says they're too dirty. I wish they would, look at what europe has.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #133
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
This is key info from a towing guru which really cuts to the chase regarding this WDH subject on lightweight vehicles and camper. The info will suprise most.

Can-Am RV :: HH 37-2
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #134

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
The info will suprise most.
Surprise most? Seriously? they do after all install and sell high end hitches for a living.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #135

Doesn't surprise me as the article reflects my experience with my RAV4 and WDH. Would you rather put your faith in somebody who doesn't sell hitches?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #136

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Deryk,

My owners manual shows how many inches from the center rear wheels to where the ball should be. Does yours show that? We haven't got our hitch yet. I am really hoping that with our lighter trailer with the coupler lower to the ground we will have no need for WDH or air help. If we do I see a new transmission for our Honda.

Is there not a better rise you could use that does not put the weight so far from the car?

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #137

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Doesn't surprise me either, the canamrv.ca links and videos have been tossed around for a number of years now.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #138

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
epa says they're too dirty. I wish they would, look at what europe has.
Gee, I wonder what the trucks and buses and trains use, clean diesel fuel? I doubt it!!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #139

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Wow, I guess it has been a while since we bought a draw bar. I thought they were cheap. We have a couple sitting in the garage, too bad you can't borrow different ones from people to see which would work best for you.

our Scamp has always been up close to our tow vehicle with a short draw bar. Noticed parked to another same size Scamp their draw bar was further back. Never gave it much though until now. When I looked at the variety of draw bars it is obvious that we have a short one.

Will be interesting to see how this all works out for you.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #140

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Well, Toyota did solve the problem - the 2013 RAV4 is no longer available with the V6 and according to the new Trailer Life "Guide to Towing" no longer has a tow rating at all.
One thing about the Trailer Life list that is certain is that it is incomplete. It's a good place to start, but authoritative information comes from the manufacturer.

In this case Toyota USA appears to be offering only preview information. Toyota Canada specs show a towing capacity of 1500 pounds, which doesn't surprise me for the engine and vehicle type. That's not enough for most of our trailers, but a trailer which does fit will not likely have enough tongue weight to be a problem needing a WD system fix.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote