Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #161

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
That's because there are so many fewer people breathing it!

Francesca
It just seems that way due to land mass (2nd largest in the world) vs population. In 2011 Metro Vancouver area had a population of 2,313,328.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #162

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Wow, I guess it has been a while since we bought a draw bar. I thought they were cheap.
They are - $20 to $30 at eTrailer and lots of other places. A lot cheaper than using a WD system because the ball is in the wrong place for the tug...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #163

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here in BC in particular Vancouver/Whistler area the transit buses are moving away from diesel so we have a large number of transit buses running Hydrogen Fuel cell or Natural gas or electric. Currently Whistler has the biggest fleet of Hydrogen Fuel cell buses in the world. Many of the Down town Vancouver transit buses are electric.
That has lots to do with the high cost of fuel in the Vancouver area (relative to elsewhere in Canada), the artificially low cost of CNG (no road tax), the availability of hydroelectric power in B.C., and even the presence of Ballard in Burnaby. It probably has nothing to do with "clean diesel", and certainly engines of any kind have nothing to do with weight-distributing hitch systems.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #164

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Toyota is no longer offering - at least for 2013 - the V6, with its corresponding engine cooling capacity and transmission. I have seen no information to suggest that this marketing choice has anything to do with towing, related to weight distribution hitches or otherwise.
Brian I think you will agree that vehicle manufactures pay big bucks to have their press releases done and will go out of their way to avoid mentioning any negative reasons behind the decision to change their product line ups. They as you know will always put the best spin on their changes as possible. What sounds better - We are changing our line up to conform with CAFE standards to save the environment or we are changing our line because the RAV4 V6 didn't meet the new safe towing standards we agreed to test our vehicles against? or perhaps they have simple had one to many warranty claims regarding the soft back end resulting from towing. Or it could be a combination of those reasons plus a few more no one here has even considered.

The consumer is never going to be told all the reasons behind changes in vehicle offerings & they are for sure not likely to publish them.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #165

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or maybe it was aliens.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #166

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or maybe it was aliens.
Yup could be! One things for sure we the end user will never know.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #167
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Or maybe it was aliens.
Despite watching countless hours of the X File, Maggie still doesn't buy that one.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #168

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Or maybe it was aliens.
That's it!
Aliens that inhale CO and exhale O! Why does Canada get all the breaks, ET-wise? ...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #169

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Let's face it, most people don't buy small suv's to use as tow vehicles. They are economical daily drivers. Which is no doubt why most of them are simply not engineered to take such stress inducing devices as heavy duty tow receivers, let alone weight distributing hitches.
If you want to tow most of the campers that are made, Toyota just happens to build one of the best built, and best thought out tow vehicles on the market. From it's 400 ft-lb engine, to it's six speed transmission all the way to the excellent engineering choice of 4.30 gears, and a frame sturdy enough to take any WD hitch on the market the Tundra is an excellent choice for pulling trailers.

IMO....leave the little cars to what they were intended, which is hauling a few human beings around and getting great gas mileage in the process.

The new Rav will no doubt be better at being what its intended market is. Those of you who got the last generation version and are pulling small campers with it, well, enjoy it while it lives out it's life, and plan on buying something different when the time comes to replace.

As an aside, regarding the epa not liking diesels, that's not the way that whole scene works. The epa could care less what you put in the tank....all they care about is what comes out the tailpipe. It's up to the car company to come up with the mechanisms to make it burn clean.

Now back to your regularly scheduled WD discussion, a subject that, for as simple as it is in principle and actual use, leads to more arguments than seemingly anything else in trailer towing.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #170

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Now back to your regularly scheduled WD discussion, a subject that, for as simple as it is in principle and actual use, leads to more arguments than seemingly anything else in trailer towing.
After tires and toilet paper, perhaps...and not necessarily in that order.

Francesca
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #171
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
o

Maybe, but I think small tow vehicles wins on this board. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #172

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I think its bs...if they didn't want the vehicle to tow or they knew it couldn't handle the tongue weight don't offer the towing package...but they do out of greed...ppl will buy all the options and just never use it. So they make more money. Tears back my parents' bought a new super deluxe dodge grand caravan with tow package even though my dad said he would never tow a trailer.

Tundra huh....hmmm
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #173

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Maybe, but I think small tow vehicles wins on this board. Raz
AAACK!

You're right, Raz...I forgot where I was posting! But now that you bring it up: how about adding "European vs. North American Standards", at least as a subgroup?

Francesca
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #174

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
That's it!
Aliens that inhale CO and exhale O! Why does Canada get all the breaks, ET-wise? ...

Francesca
Well if you watched the X Files, which was filmed in BC you would know our aliens can do more than that!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #175

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well if you watched the X Files, which was filmed in BC you would know our aliens can do more than that!

Bedtime here at The Home is 7:30 so I don't get to watch much primetime...

Is "X-Files" the one starring that weird guy Stephen Harper and that other weird guy Stephen Harper?

Francesca
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #176

Registry
hummm.... me thinks those are The Muffets discussing the Clean Energy Bill!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #177

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3535687250.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	54392

Sorry for the cryptic photo. Deryk asked for it in a PM but I couldn't attach it to the reply.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #178

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
im at work and my droid only does so well showing pictures...let me ask, when your rav4 is loaded and hooked up to your lil snoozy, how many inches are between the bottom of the receiver and the ground....and how many inches between the ground and the receiver when your not hooked up? im about 9.75" off the ground normally... not sure when im hooked up haven't measured it.

getting annoyed with jc whitney placed order saturday...called today and they said give them 24 to 48 hours to process order....told them its been that long....uhhhh we will email you an answer whenwe get it from the manuf....is it in stock? yeah but normally delivery is 2 to 9 business days.... really most places are next day its out the door with tracking, Im not happy....click....lovely customer service dept lol

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #179

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Whitney is waiting around for someone to eat their lunch if someone hasn't already. Find another supplier. I'm routinely getting mail order stuff on free 2-3 day shipping (Amazon) and got a way exotic rv plumbing chingus from Dyers in AZ in about 2 1/2 days. Whitney has heard of jitney but not airplane.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #180

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Derek, I'll try to remember to take the measurement when we hook up on Thursday afternoon.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote