Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #41

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
How often would the air bags have to be filled...is it something you fill before you hook up? And how long do these airbags actually last?
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #42

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I would bet maybe once a month, and there are relatively cheap compressors for them that you can install. Quality airbags last for years. You could fill them before or after, but I would feel better doing it before, if using a wd hitch.

For the most part, you want an even load on your axles (this of course changes with pickups and such). If your rear suspension is soft, a wd hitch will make it level, but be transmitting much of the weight to the front. The air bags will help the rear share the load more, and the vehicle won't squat as far, either.

*RANT*

One of the main reasons I dislike wd hitches is that 90% of the users I see with them, are using them as a bandaid to improper trailer loading, too small of a tow vehicle, weak suspension, etc.

Wd hitches have a purpose, it's just a narrower purpose than most people think.

On the way up for Christmas, I saw an expedition pulling an airstream that was longer than my Titan and 19' scamp combined. The hitch was 3-4" off the ground, and the headlights were eye level. I was staring at it, and the guy said, "yeah, I need a wd hitch". No…you need at least a 1/2, preferably 3/4 ton.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
/
One of the main reasons I dislike wd hitches is that 90% of the users I see with them, are using them as a bandaid to improper trailer loading, too small of a tow vehicle, weak suspension, etc.
Add to that one of the more popular family type cars manufactures I have seen pulling a number of fiberglass trailers with a WDH don't even recommend their use. I scratch my head every time I see it. To make matters worse in almost of the cases I have seen the trailer being pulled is either at or over the vehicles towing specs and I wonder if the owner realizes the reason the manufacture of the vehicle doesnt recommend the use of the WDH and hope they dont find out the hard way the reason why.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, that's your evidence Jared?

I use a WDH because it gives me a better ride ( less bounce ), transfers weight to the front wheels of my RAV4 ( which is pretty much FWD, but 4WD on demand ). It also helps with sway. The RAV4 has a 3,500 lb. tow rating and the trailer a 1,900 lb dry axle rating ( I know, the real weight is more - have to use something for reference ).
I tow a 17' Escape 17B and I do it feeling secure at all times.

Darn. I swore I wasn't going to respond to posts on this forum and I have. So have at me.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Darn. I swore I wasn't going to respond to posts on this forum and I have. So have at me.
I think your safe Glenn, Jared only said 90% would seem you fall into the 10% group
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #46

Kansas
Have at you for what? I don't know a thing about your setup. If its like Derek says, and sags quite a bit, I do think the wd hitch on its own is a bandaid, however.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #47

New Jersey
Registry
It doesn't sag normally, only under load. If it was a matter of the springs needing replacement that would be another story... its just the way it was designed...typical the manuf doesnt take into account that they offer a tow package to bring the towing capacity up to 3500lbs that we might be throwing 250lb tongue weight on it, that it should be able to handle it.

My ParkLiner dry is about 2100lbs ( just got it and haven't taken it to a scale yet... when the weather warms up and Im near it ) 220lb tongue weight dry per manuf (I think its a little heavier then that with 2 20lb propane cyl's... but haven't weighed it yet)

Now here is 3 photo's of it, first is when I got it last year without all the tools and crap in it, the 2nd is hooked up to my nearly finished gypsy caravan I built... the tongue weight was about 180lbs... I could just barely move it around by myself... and finally with the ParkLiner.

Talking with several Rav4 owners who tow trailers that ar well within vehicle tow limits, they are all useing wdh to solve the soft rear end. And also add in a little anti sway...

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Toyata Rav4 070611.jpg   49.jpg  

24.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #48

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Deryk,

As to air bags, we had a set in our motorhome for 14 years without failure. Generally we ran them at 90 psi. Every week or so I would have to add a couple of lbs. Really they hold their air very well. Our setup came with a small compressor and gauges on each bag though in a setup like your's they're probably not necessary.

I tow with a similarly designed tow vehicle. I measure the distance from the top of the rear wheel well to the ground to determine the effect of the trailer on the tow vehicle.

In my case the addition of the trailer lowers the wheel well a little less than an inch. Our tongue weight with one propane tank and one battery is 190-200 lbs.

In this configuration the steering does not feel light.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #49

New Jersey
Registry
I haven't seen a change in steering, its just the rear end compresses a few inches and I dont like it... drives fine. I have thought of getting another vehicle, something in the truck family, but I have 1 vehicle that I use for everything and the idea of 16-17mpg city driving not towing isn't an option. I almost inhereted my dad's Grand Caravan with tow package but he got 17-20mpg... my Rav4 same engine size gets me 22-24mpg... and it all adds up.

But ok I will order the airbags... my real concern is if 1 pop's when Im away for the weekend Im kinda stuck. They are made by firestone though so they should be decent(I hope lol)

deryk
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #50

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I put a set of Firestone air bags on my Ram 1500 truck for 2 reasons. first, this is the first year Ram switched from leaf springs to coils and the air bags fit inside perfectly. Second, when pulling my old 22' trailer, I had tongue weight around 500 lbs and had a 2" squat which the bags took care of. I normally keep 5 psi all the time and add to 10 psi towing. It gives the rear a firmer ride which seems to help with items staying put inside the trailer. If it bounces too much you have things all over the floor. The new escape is around 350# which is fine for the Ram but with the FJ there is about a 2" squat. I haven't decided how to handle that, redistributing weight inside or a w/d set up.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #51

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Air Springs...
These are very common on mini-motorhomes and the experience I have with them includes:
1. They are no more apt to "pop" than is a tire. They usually start developing pesky leaks in the air lines long before the spring itself starts leaking.
2. They must NEVER be left empty. Most mfg's recommend a minimum of 5-10 PSI at all times. Running them empty leads to early sidewall leaks.
3. Air springs still holding air after 10 or more years are common, but see #2 above.
4. There are several complete "Systems" available that include a compressor and a control panel that allow monitoring & adjusting air pressure from inside the vehicle.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #52

New Jersey
Registry
Well they aren't air springs, but air bags

Firestone Coil-Rite Air Spring Kit - JCWhitney

etrailer.com just raised the price on them $15 since wednesday when I emailed them a question about them.... guess jc whitney is getting the sale...and I will let them know why lol

deryk
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #53

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is about what I paid. Real easy to install.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #54

New Jersey
Registry
Well Im gonna give it a try and see how it makes a difference. I wish someone would make lift kit for my Rav4 lol... they make them for an older bodystyle. I guess the next thought is replaceing the 4 tires and get away from the low profile that it came with to a nice taller tire and that might raise the ass up an inch or so... its about 9.5 to 9.75" from the bottom of the receiver to the ground.

deryk
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #55

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Well they aren't air springs, but air bags

Firestone Coil-Rite Air Spring Kit - JCWhitney

etrailer.com just raised the price on them $15 since wednesday when I emailed them a question about them.... guess jc whitney is getting the sale...and I will let them know why lol

deryk
Free Shipping and 10% off $99

JC Whitney Auto Parts & Auto Accessories - Car, Truck, Jeep, Motorcycle, VW, RV & ATV - Aftermarket Parts & Accessories
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #56

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I call em' "Air Springs" because that's what Firestone call's em'.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #57

New Jersey
Registry
ah ok Bob... yeah just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing... just ordered it and naturally the 10% off promo didn't cover firestone products lol
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #58

Kansas
If it handled pretty well before, I would try it with just the air bags before spending money on a wd hitch. That might easily be all you need.

On another note, a regular wd hitch will actually make sway more likely, by unloading the rear end. So, it's important to get one with a sway system.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #59
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
On another note, a regular wd hitch will actually make sway more likely, by unloading the rear end. So, it's important to get one with a sway system.
If a WDH is "set up wrong" and is taking too much weight off the rear end it could cause sway or handling issues.

If set up correctly it would help to prevent sway and improve stability.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #60

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
+1 what Jared says, Deryk. Try the air bags first. They will remove the suspension sag, raise the hitch, and get the headllights out of the sky. Too bad they don't spec Timbren donuts for the RAV. They do the job just fine on the 4runner.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote