Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #181

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Denny and your Rav4 doesnt look to be squatting as much as mine does without the airbags.

Well I canceled my order with jc whitney... I called back 12 hours later and they still could only tell me my order is processing... but they wont charge me till its marked shipped... well they charged me yesterday... I told them I am used to dealing with companies that if the part is in stock will be out the door by the lates the next day and up to 5 days for ups ground (but 3rd day isn't usually much more) their policy is 2-9 business days... good luck with that...
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #182

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not start by shortening up that stinger?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #183

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not start by shortening up that stinger?

stinger?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #184

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is the best I can come up with to illustrate my hitch set up.
The WDH was installed so that the trailer with its high-lift axle would ride level. You can see ( I hope ) how close the ball is to the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
WDH 1.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #185

New Jersey
Registry
I got a new hitch, naturally they didnt have the right sized ball so I will have to remove the old one and put it on... its about 5" closer to the receiver then the other one.

Although this 1 would get it even closer...http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...tch/80213.html
Attached Thumbnails
newhitch.jpg   AdjustableHitch.jpg  

Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #186

New Jersey
Registry
Called etrailer today and asked eta for delivery and after a lengthy hold was told its on a 3 week manuf backorder... called 3 other places from google searches that their merchandise ships from the manuf warehouses, till I found someone on ebay who checked they have 4 on their shelf.

Order placed!

deryk
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #187

New Jersey
Registry
Also ordered a shorter ball hitch Curt 2" Receiver Heavy Duty Trailer Hitch Ball Mount 8" Drop 6 3 4" Rise | eBay

Hopefully the shorter ball hitch and the airbags will remove the squat

deryk
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #188
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
deryk

Much Better!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #189

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks! It was the shortest one with a good rise height on it. Even if with airbags my rav4 stays at the 9.75" from ground to the bottom of the receiver I need some extra height with the center style tongue jack sitting lower cause my ParkLine will be traveling off road with me alot and dont want the jack to bottom out lol

deryk
Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #190

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If the jack is the problem then you can fix that easily. Go to ETrailer and look at their tongue jacks and the specifications. I had one that was too low and I replaced it with a shorter one problem solved. You want your trailer to be level, if it scrapes then change the jack but do not raise the trailer tongue to compensate for an incorrect jack. Parkliner's stock jack may be set up for a truck and may be too low for your vehicle and needs to be changed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #191

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Um....Jim?

Since Deryk's problem is related to sag when he's hooked up to the tow vehicle, I'm not thinking a new tongue jack is going to help...unless it's got a highway tire on the foot!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #192

New Jersey
Registry
Well part of my problem is the sag, but I agree with Jim, it is possible that the jack was picked based on a vehicle whose rear is taller then my rav4's is.

deryk
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #193

Pennsylvania
Registry
I think he has 2 issues, both sag and low jack
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #194

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The dang coupler can only be at one hgt from ground on relatively level ground with no major discontinuties ( like a pungee pit where the jack foot is located) to produce a level frame and trailer. Admittedly, parked on a big slope with the trailer headed downslope, it is possible to run out elevation on the jack before the coupler is above the ball, necessitating the trick of maxing the tongue jack, placing screw jacks on the frame to hold the hgt., retracting the tongue jack and blocking under the foot to give the jack sufficient lift. Most tongue jacks leave a couple of inches under the frame where the tilting foot or dolly wheel is x-pinned. I'm burning a cell or two over this jack biz but I still think the RAV constitutes the problem.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #195

Pennsylvania
Registry
Jack,
A quick check at Etrailer's tongue jack page shows 5 jacks with the retracted height anywhere from 11" to 5", so that is a big range. Once Deryk gets his trailer level and no squat, then he may want to change the jack if it is too close to the ground. I must have 3 jacks in my garage from trailers that were to low when properly hooked up.
But I must say, the picture shows a very high mounting location. I'm surprised that Parkliner is at 16.5 . The Escape 19 is 21" high or 3.5" difference.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #196

Registry
I get it...I think...

Are these all A-frame jacks? If so, and access to tailgate/back tug door is also a problem, I highly recommend replacement with a side-mount swivel jack, available in various heights/throws.

I love being able to open the back hatch on my Kia all the way!

Francesca
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #197

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I fear my experience is not broad enuf to countenance the subtleties of jack foot protrusion. Much to my chagrin, I do understand dragging a jack foot that is not fully retracted. Number 1 among the reasons that I know how to cold set jack flanges with a BFH and that I suggest that one should always complete each item on one's preflight list before moving to another. On my list, the relevant item reads" "Tongue jack COMPLETELY!!!!! retracted."

lojack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #198

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, they are all tongue and they all are in the way. My FJ cruiser has the same swing open rear and It will not work unless I get a swing up jack. But with the propane set up that is not an option. With the Ram set up, the tail gate hits the jack handle, until I found a jack with a removable handle.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0384.JPG  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #199

Registry
That has got to be a royal pain. I'm glad my trailer came with the swivel version! I just bought a replacement- I'd intended to rebuild the original since all that was functionally wrong was the "squeal" indicating worn-out innards....

But the top crank has always bugged me since the bag on the tongue interfered with its operation, so I bought a brand spankin' new sidewinder version a lot like this one:

Tell the truth department:
I didn't exactly buy the new jack...I just griped about it so much that my husband bought me one for my birthday, and promised to weld it on to boot! Ain't that romantic?

He really knows how to treat a woman...

Francesca
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #200

New Jersey
Registry
i don't care for the side jacks with an a-frame tongue. the center mount i feel supports it more evenly IMHO... once i get the squat problem resolved i can look into a different tongue jack...I think i read the ParkLiner is 20"...which prolly wont happen with my tv lol

deryk