Advisibility of using weight distribution hitch: pros and cons - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #241

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I do keep alot of tools in my rear under compartment, I should empty my trunk out and measure my clearance... although 9 3/4" clearance would work fine with me with airbags... I should see what I am carrying that I dont need to be... might be able to lighten it 30 lbs which would lessen my tongue weight a bit.

Thanks Denny, now Im waiting on UPS to deliver my airbags... hope they show before I leave for work in an hour!

I was figureing on adding a pair of something like these with backing plates to hold the trunk from moveing... Sea-Dog Eye Plate

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #242

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Go to HD or Lowes, same item for 50% less.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #243

New Jersey
Registry
Im gonna dig through my stuff at my parents house, I might have a few laying around from various boats I used to own.... but something similar should hold the trunk in place and not stick out enough to be a problem if you bump into it getting in or out of the dinette seats.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #244

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Wondering about why the need for such a long tongue on the trailer - although with the RAV4 it clearly works well - no propane tank helps as well. Wondering if its due to the pointed front end - longer tongue keeps it from hitting the tug in a tight turn?
I think that the Snoozy's shape just makes the tongue look longer than normal...if you dropped a plumbline from the nose to the tongue, I think the length would be little greater than on a trailer without the "boathull" shape of the lower part of the Snoozy.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #245

New Jersey
Registry
well airbags are installed... can't get down to my ParkLiner till the following weekend but i know my Rav4's rear end is way stiffer with 30 psi of air in the bags! i stood on the receiver and it only dropped maybe an inch but I'm only 218lbs (used to be 283 in august) i think the airbags will have resolved the squatting.

deryk
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #246

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Deryk,
My instructions only said 10 psi, was 30 in your instructions?? Also be aware, the stiffer rear will result in more items inside your unit possibly being shifted around.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #247

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
.... my Rav4's rear end is way stiffer with 30 psi of air in the bags!
*looks askance in the mirror and wonders if that could be an option for me*

Looking forward to hearing how that works out for you, Deryk. Hopefully does the trick.

And, congrats on the weight loss. Good health is more important than all our belongings, even our beloved trailers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #248

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The air bags may eliminate squat, but I gather, from my limited understanding of engineering, that they would not transfer weight to the front axle of the tow ( and the trailer axle ).
I believe that the RAV4 runs mainly in front-wheel drive and that the rear wheels are engaged when the vehicle senses that traction is required. So, I wonder what the effects are on traction, fuel economy, stability?
Got no answers. Just asking.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #249

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interesting video from a supplier of air springs.

Why Air? Why Air Lift? Video Page | Air Lift Company - Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #250

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The air bags may eliminate squat, but I gather, from my limited understanding of engineering, that they would not transfer weight to the front axle of the tow ( and the trailer axle ).
I believe that the RAV4 runs mainly in front-wheel drive and that the rear wheels are engaged when the vehicle senses that traction is required. So, I wonder what the effects are on traction, fuel economy, stability?
Got no answers. Just asking.
Glenn,
You are 100% correct. Airbags only have the potential to level the vehicle. The purpose and advantage of a weight distributing hitch is to restore weight to the steer axles ( and this case of front drive also the drive axle ) of the tow vehicle. A WD hitch is honestly a simple and elegant solution to the issues of adding a towed vehicle behind a tug.

Unfortunately, it is at this point in the process where the whole discussion falls to pieces in these internet forums. Those who are convinced that WD is not needed typically cannot see any issue worth correcting, and therefore cannot and will not be convinced. The excuses used are long, many, and often comical.
To each his own....hitch it up and tow it any 'ol way you want to is what I say !!
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #251

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Well if the trailer manufacturer saying not to use one is an "excuse", then call me excused. I read on this site that Escape is also not recommending them.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #252

New Jersey
Registry
Ok, the instructions say a max psi of 35lbs, so 30 was just a test run to see how it worked, felt etc. The airbag doesnt seem to totally fill the spring, there an inch or so short so there is still room for compression of the springs, just not as much as there was before so it should totally eliminate the squatting...barring it not popping lol or springing a leak.

I do feel a bit of a difference hitting potholes and such in the road, the rear end is definatly not as soft. I plan on dropping it down to 10psi for normal day in and day out driving. Im hopeing this eliminates the problemin my case and judging from the higher tongue weight on the lil snoozy with a similar rav4 I would be happy with the little bit of squat he had.

And thanks, dropping 60 some pounds I really feel the difference, my energy level is much higher and I dont feel the urge to sit and do nothing anywhere near as much lol...now I actually pace alot more lol

deryk
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #253

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Glenn,
The purpose and advantage of a weight distributing hitch is to restore weight to the steer axles ( and this case of front drive also the drive axle ) of the tow vehicle.
One can't "restore" that which wasn't there to begin with.

A W/D system works by distributing added weight (evenly if properly adjusted) throughout the tow vehicle.

Not all vehicles can tolerate them, and many tow setups do not require them. Every setup is different, and one should have a good understanding of the dynamics of one's own before making judgements as to whether or not to use a wds.

There are those of us who from our own experience find them unnecessary and cumbersome, and usually advise caution/research/mindfulness of manufacturer recommendations.

To dismiss us all as ignorant is...ignorant!

Francesca
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Well if the trailer manufacturer saying not to use one is an "excuse", then call me excused. I read on this site that Escape is also not recommending them.
Don't know where you read that. Best not believe everything you read here.
If you look on the Escape site, you will see they offer WDH as an option. Reece ( Escape owner ) recommended WDH for my RAV and installed it.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

To dismiss us all as ignorant is...ignorant!

Francesca
Let's see how long it takes the moderators to CLOSE this thread, and then how long it takes to get started again.
Taking bets.

baglo
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #256

New Jersey
Registry
heh hope it stays open for at least another week and a half so I can put up a picture on flat level pavement with my ParkLiner hooked up with the air bags and the much shorter ball hitch with virtually no squat!

deryk
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #257

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
heh hope it stays open for at least another week and a half so I can put up a picture on flat level pavement with my ParkLiner hooked up with the air bags and the much shorter ball hitch with virtually no squat!

deryk

I'm sorry, Deryk, but that is not, simply not, they is to say not possible unless you go out right this very minute and buy a weight distributing hitch system, the honkin' biggest one you can find!!!

Francesca
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #258

New Jersey
Registry
quick what's your credit card number? LOL

deryk
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #259

Registry
Sorry-

My Wealth Distribution System does not extend to your Weight Distribution System

Francesca
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #260

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Sorry-

My Wealth Distribution System does not extend to your Weight Distribution System

Francesca

...but Maaaaaah lol

deryk