after market brakes 93 casita 16 liberty - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I got a quote today from a local trailer repair place today. The wheels have a brake flange and my husband thought there were disc brakes on it, but on the phone the trailer guy doesn't think so. Because we have the flange he can put them on though.

$300. to install brakes (parts and service)
$20 to repack wheel bearings while doing the brakes. (everyone else charges $60. for single axle)
$150. to install brake controller on 99 4runner including the Pilot brake controller ($64. at Kenoska (?) site)

Good price for brakes? I don't like the 4runner brakes to begin with, so I really want the trailer to have brakes.

thanks for any tips or advice!
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
They are usually drum brakes, not disc, as original equipment on trailers. I would guess that a 93 Casita would have had brakes installed as standard, which means the brake-drum/hubs should be on there already (the most expensive part). If so, you could do it yourself for less money, but if you aren't comfortable doing stuf like that...

I would be inclined to ask how much it would be to upgrade the controller to a Prodigy.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Please forgive my bluntness here, but the Pilot is primitive junk. It, like other non-proportional brake controls, just applies the brakes on a timed schedule when the brake lights come on, completely without regard to how hard you're actually braking.

In the Tekonsha lineup there are several proportional controls (they group them in their web site that way) and I see no point in buying less than the best - that's currently the P3, but the Prodigy is nearly functionally identical.

Other brands offer comparable products... I just gave the Tekonsha example because the Pilot is a Tekonsha.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
They are usually drum brakes, not disc, as original equipment on trailers. I would guess that a 93 Casita would have had brakes installed as standard, which means the brake-drum/hubs should be on there already (the most expensive part). If so, you could do it yourself for less money, but if you aren't comfortable doing stuf like that...

I would be inclined to ask how much it would be to upgrade the controller to a Prodigy.
thx pete. it may well have brakes. he's thinking just a hub is there? there are no electrical wires or hydraulic hoses.

he hasn't seen it yet. I'll drop it off friday and stay long enough to see what the deal is.
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, casita