Aftermarket Tow Hitch - 08 Highlander Hybrid? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Aftermarket Tow Hitch - 08 Highlander Hybrid?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid that has an aftermarket tow hitch installed. I'll be hauling a 13' casita with it. The woman said she talked with her dealer about it when it was installed and they said it would work fine, but she was only hauling wood once or twice a year.

Does anyone know if this is going to be ok or will have to do more to the car if I buy it?

Thanks,

Anne
Anne in NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A web site should be of interest to you Here. and here's some more information found by google search "towing capacity of toyota highlander hybrid".

3,500 pounds
The Toyota Highlander is rated at 1,500 pounds towing capacity. To Achieve the 3,500 pound capacity you have to have the factory installed tow package, largest engine and AWD. You cannot buy a Highlander without the factory tow package and make your vehicle rated to 3,500 pounds towing capacity.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I bought my '08 (non-hybrid) HL over 6 years ago, so my memory of what all was included in the factory tow package is somewhat hazy. But I think the biggest thing was heavy duty cooling. If you look into adding an auxiliary transmission cooler (probably $200 or so), you should be good for towing most FG eggs. The cooler is a small radiator-looking thing that is mounted near the existing radiator and has flexible lines running to the tranny for the fluid to pass through and get cooled before returning.

I do recall clearly that the hitch receiver was not included in the tow package! Aftermarket hitch is just as good as a Toyota brand hitch, although the latter would have been mounted a bit higher to the bumper.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
You are looking at a very desirable vehicle which is highly rated.

This link below shows it has lots of power (270 HP) and a 3,500lb tow rating. A Toyota dealer should be able to verify by reviewing the VIN number. What information do you have on the aftermarket hitch that is installed. Class 1, 2, or 3?

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Base 4dr SUV 3.3L V6 Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic Features and Specs
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote