Air Bag Suspension Installation / Tacoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
After reading quite a bit on the topic, I decided to add air bag suspension to my Tacoma to assure a level pull with a 17' Casita. So, for anyone out there thinking of the project for their TV, I thought I would summarize the instillation.

I bought a Air-ride brand kit for about $210 and installed it myself. The instructions are pretty good and it took me almost exactly three hours start to finish. Let me add that I was going very slowly checking everything multiple times for alignment and that it was about 95+ degrees in my shop. If you regularly do mechanic work you could do the install in two hours, or a little less.

The lower bracket attaches to your springs with u-bolts and on my truck model, the upper bracket requires that you drill three holes in the frame and use the included self tapping screws. ALL needed hardware was included.

Tools required were basic sockets, wrenches, C-clamp, and a drill. All in all, a pretty simple kit to install.
Viron Barbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I installed the same kind on my Jimmy about ten years ago. I removed half of the leaves on the rear springs at the time of the installation.

What I ended up with is a very smooth air-ride at about 30 psi and I up that to about 50 psi for the Scamp and about 80 psi when towing the Avion.

Since I almost never use the Avion anymore, I have thought more than twice about removing at least one more leaf and upping the pressure on the Air-Rides a bit more.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have the same on my 07 Tacoma. I actually took them off my 05 and put them on the 07. It kept my Scamp level with about 40 lbs. and with 10 lbs of air I have a good ride.
I just bought an 07 18' self contained Coachman Capri Mini from my credit union and they tow it level without an equalizer hitch. I think it has about a 400 lb tongue weight.
Air bags are the only way to go.
JP
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I have the same on my 07 Tacoma. I actually took them off my 05 and put them on the 07. It kept my Scamp level with about 40 lbs. and with 10 lbs of air I have a good ride.
I just bought an 07 18' self contained Coachman Capri Mini from my credit union and they tow it level without an equalizer hitch. I think it has about a 400 lb tongue weight.
Air bags are the only way to go.
JP

Just a quick question, when you plumbed the air lines did you "T" Them together. Or do you inflate each air bag individually?
Bill

Bill&Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
individually here , advantages to both ways. spilt no shift , one line easy to fil and leak in one will lower how thing instead of one side.
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Just a quick question, when you plumbed the air lines did you "T" Them together. Or do you inflate each air bag individually?
Bill
I have individual connections. This way if I develop a leak I know which side it's on.
This Tacoma is the fourth PU that I have had air bags on and would never use anything else.
JP
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On the question about having two airlines or "T"ing them together for a single input. I considered the "T" but was warned away by the following logic, which I believe is sound.

If you are carrying a load and it shifts to one side or you are going around a turn and the load is heavy to one side, while getting less on the other, the side getting the heavy load will force the air more out of that bag and it will go to the side getting less of a load. This would definatly compount the uneven weight distribution problem and make it harder for the vehicle to correct the issue.
Viron Barbay is offline   Reply With Quote