Air Dam on tow vehicle for aerodynamics - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Actually the dam has a one piece clip built into it which runs the full length of the bottom thats used to attach it to the roof rack bar that is built into the car so no gaps or straps flapping -as mentioned it was built and designed for the car so it did not look at all like an after thought - fit on pretty slick. The noise seemed to be coming from the air dam itself. It sits right over top of the sun roof area. Spent a couple of hundred miles driving while my passanger keep putting there hand up through the sun roof to adjust its position to try and find a sweet point.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"

Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
ROGER, i spent 23 years driving the big rigs aerodynamics is a huge concern there and it helps a lot, but 2-3 mpg no way not on a big truck, I know somebody else told you that but we're talking about vehicles that on a good day don't get much more than 7 mpg. Greg
I'm sorry. You misunderstood "big rig." The guy I talked to had a full sized pickup towing a 5th wheel.

A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was shopping today for a new SUV and drove a Nissan Xterra with a factory tubular roof rack. The salesman then showed me on the "S" model an additional gear compartment built in the front of the roof rack. To open there is a catch and a compartment door flips up. There are 2 pistons on each side like on your hood keeping it open. It immediately reminded me of those air dams on tractor trailers. I know the subject has been discussed there are manufacturers of bolt ons. I asked the salesman if it could be left open, he asked me why and then the light went off, "Oh, yes, you want to tow and this would deflect the air" and we both smiled.
Anyone else seen this option in action?
I have a Freestar minivan and wanted to try deflecting the air over our 16.5 Aerolite stick built trailer. We went to Texas last winter without the air dam(12.3 MPG), and again this year with a homemade air dam(15.4 MPG).Needless to say I was impressed. I couldn't find a commercial product made for minivans so I constructed one from used waterproof concrete forming plywood($10) sold locally. With a bit of hardware to fasten it to roof racks and some paint($25 in all) we were ready to go. I figured if it didn't work it could be discarded when we got far enough south to get warm weather so I didn't freeze my fingers removing it. A flat plate that is narrower than the trailer obviously won't clear the outside corners so I added end plates that start about 10" in and taper out to the end of the main board which tilts up about 30 deg. I drew a scale model on CAD to figure out what would work but you could use string between the tug and trailer to calculate angles.The trailer definitely tows easier so there could be the temptation to drive faster but then you lose most of the gain.
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
I thought I was getting better mileage when I had my tiny rowboat on top of my car while towing...
Now I know why!

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote