Air shocks for Ford Ranger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #1

Name: richardq
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
Air shocks for Ford Ranger

I am new to this forum and have yet to purchase a camper. I would like very much to find a nice fiberglass camper either new or used. I have a 2010 For Ranger 4 cylinder automatic for a tow vehicle. The max towing capacity is 1980 lbs. I would like to keep the truck because it is paid for. I am wondering if I put in some air shocks if it would increase the load pulling ability. I would really like to purchase a new Egg Camper. They weigh 2,000 lbs dry. I suspect I would load it up to as much as 2,500 lbs. So would this be a sensible way to start my camping dream or would it be a mistake to overload the truck? Would it create a legal liable problem for me if I wrecked it?

Thanks for any advise you may have to offer.
15rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a Toyota 4x4 truck with 22re engine with 5 speed manual and pull a 13 Scamp and 17 foot boat. The towing capacity is 2000 w/o stabilizer equipment, 3500 with. I hardly feel the Scamp trailer at 1200 pounds and generally run at 60 - 65 miles an hour getting about 20 to 21 mpg. It is a dream to pull. The boat is heavier and weighs about 2000 pounds which is really starting to tax the engine on hills. It is OK on flat terrain but even going up steep hills makes usage of 2 or 3 gear frequently. If you live in mountainous area - 2000 would be a lot, IMO, for your size of truck and engine. Maybe you have more HP and it won't be a problem for you. I think my truck has 112 hp.

Also, make sure you have brakes on the trailer. I had been pulling my boat for a few years with no problems until one day traffic was dead stopped after coming over a hill at 60 mph. I don't tailgate but really had to slam on the brakes (wheels were smoking) and stopped within a foot of a car in front of me. The boat trailer did not come with brakes, nor were they a option from Lowe. It is not also required for that weight in this state.

Then there is the liability issue of overloading. Don't do it. If you get in an accident and you are over loaded, look for getting the blame and a lawsuit. You also really need to worry about swaying with a heavy load. Check out your owners manual - again, my truck is rated at 3500 lbs but only with sway prevention equipment. I would not pull that much anyway as the engine is just to small. I would also worry about an automatic shifting constantly to get up hills with that heavy of a load. I live in Mn so it is not a big issue except when crossing mountains, like where you live!

If you are using the step bumper, it is probably rated at 2000 tow/200 lb tongue capacity. You would have to upgrade to a hitch receiver, if your truck can pull the 2500 lbs. The tonque weight should be at least 10 percent of trailer weight or swaying can result.

I also put airshocks on my other non-four wheel drive Toyota truck, same engine. They actually worked great. Unfortunately, they leaked slowly after 2 years. I originally bought good Monroe shocks and have tried several times to find the leak. They had a 5 year warranty. I gave up and fill them up now only for heavy loads like hauling gravel, knowing in 24 hours the pressure will blead off.

You might be better to get some progressive load springs - to avoid the stiff ride when unloaded. I personally would not buy the air shocks again - though it is cool to watch the rear-end rise when you fill em up with air. Brings back thoughts of my old 1960/70 cars when it was cool to jack the rearend up.

Good luck.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I towed my Scamp 13 with a 2003 Ranger with the 2.3 four/standard.

It was "OK" in all ways except for long steep hills. It wasn't capable of maintaining the speed limit in some cases. The shocks/springs were not an issue. They're stiffly sprung and a couple of hundred pounds of tongue weight didn't change much. No issues at all.

I wanted a newer truck so I upgraded to a 2011, last of the Rangers. I went with the 4 liter V-6. Would have been happy if the 3 liter was still available but it wasn't. I don't have nearly as good gas milage but I sure fly up the hills

I find comments about towing capacity somewhat amusing when I think back to the "old days" when I'd think nothing of towing a 2200# boat with my little Ford Courier.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Shocks will help carry tongue weight, but they will not help increase the amount of weight you can pull.

If your Ranger has the same size brakes, hitch receiver, etc as a Ranger with a higher tow rating, then the limiting factor in your tow rating would be in the drive train...it could be a smaller differential, a lighter duty trasmission, or simply the smaller engine. Find out where the difference lies, and it will help you know how to proceed. IF the only shortcoming is the engine, then you could resign yourself to towing slowly, and get by. But if it is something else, that something else could be problematic.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i would say if you have the v6 it would be close as long as you tow in fairly flat land. the 4,,,not for a "egg camper" it would be fine for a 13foot scamp. i have the v6 ranger and to my scamp and its perfect. the 4 cyl might deal with a 16 foot scamp as long as you were carefull till you found out how it does.

air shocks will not change your towing capacity.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Ranger brakes

4 liter V6 Rangers have bigger brake rotors than 3 liter V6 Rangers. (My mechanic once put the wrong rotors on my Ranger.)

Ford must have expected the 4 liter Rangers to pull heavier loads than the 3 liter Rangers, and perhaps much heavier loads than the four cylinder Rangers.

After all, Rangers were made with a very wide range of initial vehicle prices and some of that difference was in towing systems - not just engine and suspension but also cooling and braking.
Eric Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15rms123 View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] So would this be a sensible way to start my camping dream or would it be a mistake to overload the truck? Would it create a legal liable problem for me if I wrecked it?
Simple answer IMHO is YES it can create a legal liable problem. How costly a mistake is anyone's guess and will depend on many factors. Keep in mind that the people who built the truck are not willing to stick their money on the line and say its safe to tow over x so many pounds so you need to ask yourself what you have to loose if it turns out they are right. Family member, a friend or a house perhaps?

You will find we have couple of folks here who are happy to take that gamble but you will find that the majority here are not comfortable with taking such gambles and adhere to the tow weight specs of the vehicle manufactures.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok here is the money question.

how many people will be traveling?

if its just 2 your ranger and a 13 foot scamp is perfect.

if your going to be taking say 4? a 5th wheel scamp, or perhaps an "egg camper" with a vehicle sized to tow. i know 5th wheels are towed by rangers, but i think 6 cyl.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

I'd do a little research and find out what the difference is between your vehicle and a Ranger rated for the towing weight that you need. If your chassis is up to the task, the issue may be engine power or transmission cooling.

You can add a transmission cooler, but if the engine power is low, you are delegated to the slow lane on long hills.

If your suspension or brakes are inadequate, you are probably better off trading for a different vehicle.

http://www.ford.com/assets/pdf/towin...ANGERsep09.pdf
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
John's right if you take a look at the thread trailer weights in the real world you will see a number of 13' fiberglass trailers weighed loaded for camping come in under your trucks tow spec of 1980lbs. So if you pick the right trailer and dont over load it with too much stuff & water you should be fine towing with a 4 cylinder - I have towed with a 4 cyl. thousands of miles without any issues. If you can find a trailer with brakes already on it all the better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote