Alaska Highway Trip - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #29
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
Jon, that is my main concern. Heard stories about broken axels and frames and I don't want to go there if there is some suspension mod that would help. Have also been told that I can kiss my windshield goodbye. I'm ok with that kind of mishap. That's the biz. Not much for it but to stay home.
Two trips to Alaska. One all over including Top of the World but wouldn't recommend it, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Valdez and every road in between. The second one up to Fairbanks and several weeks in Canada. Only chip was when some blacktop was threw at us on the main highway in Fairbanks. If you are careful and don't pass or follow to close and stop when a fast RV comes at you on gravel breaks you don't lose your windshield.

Jann Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #30
Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Folks, travelling the AlCan too early in spring may result in travelling through road repair sections. Typically, qhen do paving work on that highway they lay down pea gravel and in one place on our trip from Anchorage to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan in 1993, they cut a dirt detour right through the woods on the side of the highway! My point is to contact the folks who maintain Canadian highways to see where the repairs are being conducted. It was an awesome 15 day trip in our minivan. We travelled mid May and quite a bit of the roadside buisnesses were not even open yet. Have fun but do your homework in advance.

rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote