Always leave brake controller in vehicle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Always leave brake controller in vehicle?

My truck is my daily driver. Whenever I come back from a camping trip, I always disconnect the brake controller harness and store the controller itself in a garage drawer rather than leave it in the vehicle. Do folks here just leave the controller connected in the tow vehicle all the time, or do you remove it after each camping trip? I remove it because it's kind of distracting with it lit up when I'm not towing. Also it may be attractive to thieves. But I'm thinking about just leaving it in there all the time, and wiring in a switch so i can turn it off when not towing.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
I leave my controller connected and in the TV all the time. I'm not worry about thieves as it's not a hot commodity.
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick View Post
I leave my controller connected and in the TV all the time.
Me too. If I were to take it out, I'd loose it.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
leave it in.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I didn't know I COULD take it out!
And I'm almost dead certain I wouldn't be able to get it back in

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Me too. If I were to take it out, I'd loose it.
Me too!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If I am not towing for a long time I may disconnect it (there's a plug in the line) and stow it in the glove compartment. I never take it out of the vehicle though.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Hi ThomasE I drive a truck and I also leave it in...it's not at eye level so....
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
My truck is my daily driver. Whenever I come back from a camping trip, I always disconnect the brake controller harness and store the controller itself in a garage drawer rather than leave it in the vehicle. Do folks here just leave the controller connected in the tow vehicle all the time, or do you remove it after each camping trip? I remove it because it's kind of distracting with it lit up when I'm not towing. Also it may be attractive to thieves. But I'm thinking about just leaving it in there all the time, and wiring in a switch so i can turn it off when not towing.
I wired in a switch too,in my Ranger, and after a little while didn't bother to shut it off,it has now been about 5-6 years with no problems.
In fact, even though they are removable,I have installed a separate one in my Escape with no switch, and permanently wired, I'm just too lazy to switch them back and forth!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
My Prodigy go into sleep mode if it isn't used for a few minutes. No real need to disconnect it to save the battery. I read somewhere it only draws a few mils in sleep mode.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I don't have one yet. NO BRAKES!
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
My Prodigy go into sleep mode if it isn't used for a few minutes. No real need to disconnect it to save the battery. I read somewhere it only draws a few mils in sleep mode.

Marv
True... but the first time I heard the Prodigy "checking" the brakes every few seconds while I was settling down to sleep, it was a bit disconcernting, now [like a clock on the wall] I don't even hear it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I don't get it. We used an electric brake on a 5th wheel grain trailer.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Mine is hardwired and by left knee -- hard for thieves to see and no value to them anyway. It's a POD; no battery draw when no trailer.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Seems like nobody removes it, I'll probably just leave it in for good on the next camping trip. I used the sleeve to mount the Prodigy so it's easy to slide out each time. But there's a little clip that holds the wire connector in at the back of the controller, and every time I remove it I'm worried I'll snap that little clip off.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If I removed everything that I'm concerned about, I would need a wagon to haul it in. i Just park in a good area, hide the GPS and keep other valuables out of site, lock the vehicle and hope for the best.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Yep, that clip in a pain to undo.
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I pull mine in the winter just to reduce the drain. The truck only sees once a week use and the cold is hard on the battery anyway.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
ThomasE

I rarely notice my brake controller because 8t's lower than my normal field of view. Today, because of your post, I looked at it and the display was off. It appears that after a period of non use it simply shuts off the display.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
I leave mine in and connected. I have done this with all of my TV's over a period of 30 years. Only problem I had was the lever on the side got bumped off and the light did not light when I hit the brakes the first time before I found it. Never had a a problem. I have even transferred the same controller three times to different vehicles.

One night my truck was broken into. They didn't touch it. Most people don't know what it is. I know this because every time a new passenger gets in my truck, they ask me what it is when they see the red light come on. I tell them its the ejector seat warning light...
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote