An alternative to a power trailer mover - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tom,
Yes, the European models are attached to the frame and have friction rollers. There are two, one on each side and they can be either wired or remote controlled. With two motors they can turn the unit on a dime, so to speak. $$$$...........
Thanks. Sounds like a fun DIY project with maybe a cordless drill for power. In the meantime I'll have to stick to my Kubota.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another option here is to have a hitch installed on your front of your tow vehicle. Pushing a trailer is a lot easier than backing one.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
True, I didn't consider the options. The base model is 2500 lbs dry. I'd hate to have to guess what the options will add. Plus there will be all the stuff that gets left in the trailer.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Thanks. Sounds like a fun DIY project with maybe a cordless drill for power. In the meantime I'll have to stick to my Kubota.
Since my brother works at a place that, besides elevators, also sells wheel chairs, which they throw away, instead of selling used. I could adapt the wheel chair electronics and drive motors to use the joystick to control the trailer. Maybe gear it down some.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #19

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Since my brother works at a place that, besides elevators, also sells wheel chairs, which they throw away, instead of selling used. I could adapt the wheel chair electronics and drive motors to use the joystick to control the trailer. Maybe gear it down some.
Perfect source of parts. You will get a lot of additional reduction via the small roller on the large tire.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #20

Name: Donald & Debra
Trailer: Compact Jr 'RV There Yet'
Texas
Registry
If you use the smaller wheeled type, David, I think that you got the right stuff for a mover. Those chairs are rated at like 350#s. that is more than most the weights we deal with on hitch.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'n'Deb View Post
If you use the smaller wheeled type, David, I think that you got the right stuff for a mover. Those chairs are rated at like 350#s. that is more than most the weights we deal with on hitch.
It's not the weight of the hitch that matters to the motors and gearing of a trailer mover - it's the mass of the whole trailer that is being moved. The wheelchair bits would need to be geared down a lot for a trailer, but as already mentioned that's a desirable side effect of driving the big trailer tires by traction with a small roller in the Euro-style design. Imagine if you tried using an unmodified power wheelchair or mobility scooter directly as a tug: not good.

I think the design and fabrication challenge in a do-it-yourself Euro-style mover would be holding the drive units firmly against the tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the design and fabrication challenge in a do-it-yourself Euro-style mover would be holding the drive units firmly against the tires.
I looked a few examples on line. They seem to attach to the frame and then independently slide into the tire with some kind of a screw mechanism applying the force. This enables the roller to get a good bite into the tire.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 PM   #23

Name: Toad
Trailer: Casita 17
Texas
Just wondering how the wheelchair design worked out?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #24

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I could adapt the wheel chair electronics and drive motors to use the joystick to control the trailer. Maybe gear it down some.
We should talk Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I found some online for those who have not seen them yet.
E-Go QuicKEY | Support | Purple Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I looked a few examples on line. They seem to attach to the frame and then independently slide into the tire with some kind of a screw mechanism applying the force. This enables the roller to get a good bite into the tire.
Yep and that gives me an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Just wondering how the wheelchair design worked out?
Thanks to Toad for resurrecting this thread. It ain't over yet. __________________