An alternative to a power trailer mover - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'n'Deb View Post
If you use the smaller wheeled type, David, I think that you got the right stuff for a mover. Those chairs are rated at like 350#s. that is more than most the weights we deal with on hitch.
It's not the weight of the hitch that matters to the motors and gearing of a trailer mover - it's the mass of the whole trailer that is being moved. The wheelchair bits would need to be geared down a lot for a trailer, but as already mentioned that's a desirable side effect of driving the big trailer tires by traction with a small roller in the Euro-style design. Imagine if you tried using an unmodified power wheelchair or mobility scooter directly as a tug: not good.

I think the design and fabrication challenge in a do-it-yourself Euro-style mover would be holding the drive units firmly against the tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the design and fabrication challenge in a do-it-yourself Euro-style mover would be holding the drive units firmly against the tires.
I looked a few examples on line. They seem to attach to the frame and then independently slide into the tire with some kind of a screw mechanism applying the force. This enables the roller to get a good bite into the tire.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #23

Name: Toad
Trailer: Casita 17
Texas
Just wondering how the wheelchair design worked out?
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I could adapt the wheel chair electronics and drive motors to use the joystick to control the trailer. Maybe gear it down some.
We should talk Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I found some online for those who have not seen them yet.
E-Go QuicKEY | Support | Purple Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I looked a few examples on line. They seem to attach to the frame and then independently slide into the tire with some kind of a screw mechanism applying the force. This enables the roller to get a good bite into the tire.
Yep and that gives me an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Just wondering how the wheelchair design worked out?
Thanks to Toad for resurrecting this thread. It ain't over yet.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote