An alternative to a power trailer mover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
An alternative to a power trailer mover

For those with tight spaces, something new from ETrailer
Trailer Valet Swivel Jack and Trailer Mover - Topwind - 15" Lift - 5,000 lbs Trailer Valet Trailer Jack,Hitch Accessories STC-V211
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
$375 and you have to provide the muscle power?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
As my back gets older and bothers me more and more, I can see using this to move our VT. Price is a bit steep but could be worth it!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I was looking at these... $400 will get you a bottom-of-the-line cheaply made powered unit. This one, for the same money, looks to be well made. Yeah, you have to crank it yourself. Personally I'll take well made with a little grunt work over cheaply made any day.

But I'd love to hear from anybody who has one...
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
For those who are interested, Princess Auto has a similar 1,500 lb Multi-Directional Travel Jack as a "Special Buy" (typically not a regular item). It is in their flyer for sale prices starting May 14, but is at that price today on their web site. 54 pounds and $230 (Canadian).

I assume this is a different brand from the eTrailer offering (the Princess Auto photo shows a "Tow Tuff" brand decal), but they look functionally identical. Now searching by this brand name, it appears that Amazon offers the same Tow Tuff RTF-1500 for $217. Amazon has a couple of public reviews.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

Ontario
Also posted on the trailer dolly thread...

I just bought one of these from Princess Auto today... It's a Tow Tuff RTF-1500, rated for 1500 lb tongue weight, 5000 lb trailer weight. I'm unimpressed...

I hooked it up to my light weight tent trailer (1100 lbs dry, maybe 150 lbs tongue weight).

First, I don't see how it could handle 1500 lb tongue weight. The main unit is strong enough, but the height adjuster has too much play in it, and the locking pin doesn't seat well enough so as the adjuster flexes the pin works its way out. I don't know, but I feel if I used this on a trailer with significantly more tongue weight, it would fail altogether.

Second, it won't do what I need. I have a gravel drive way with very little (if any) slope. But the drive wheels are too small and hard -- they don't move the trailer, just dig into the gravel. It might work better on pavement, but how often do you have pavement in a campground?

So, it's probably going to be returned next weekend.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Influx
Usa
I'm interested in following this discussion, too. Sorry the unit you bought didn't work out Doug. We struggle with a hand dolley to get our trailer into a rental garage unit. It's a tight fit which we can manage all right. But there is an ever slight incline and 1" lip where the driveway and garage opening meet that is our nemesis. The reviews for the trailer jack were a little better, but mixed, than the Tow Tuff. Something to mull over, if it may be worth the money...
Mimi Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

Ontario
The Trailer Valet does look to be better made than the Tow Tuff, but I'm not convinced the swivel point on the Trailer Valet won't be a problem. The Trailer Valet has 9" tubed tires, so might work better on gravel than the Tow Tuff, but I'm not willing to drop $400 to test it.

I'll be pushing an Escape 19 around. 2500 lbs dry. Even empty it will be a challenge to push around without some form of assistance. We're planning on paving our drive later this year, so we *might* be able to move it around with a plain dolly. I think at this point I'll work on practicing backing it up the hard way. I don't need to worry about putting the trailer away in the difficult spot until the fall, after the paving is done.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

Usa
Yea, I hear you, it's a bunch of $.

Our trailer is 2100 dry but we, HE is more accurate, push it okay on the paved driveway, but it is an effort. I think we can relate to what you are anticipating, as we have a comical-to-watch routine when we put our trailer away in a rented storage unit. We back it up close to the spot. We unhitch and drive the car forward. We retrieve the dolly, and the using the dolly, push the trailer around and align the trailer straight with the garage up to the opening/lip. Set the trailer down on chocks. Then, we do like a 50 point turn because the 'driveway' is a so short to hitch up the trailer again straight. And then we use the TV to every so slowly push it back into the garage. It's a 45 min. exercise, but that is because we are such newbs.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
If it's THAT much work and that time consuming, I would think you could just get the trailer positioned close to the "lip" of the storage unit floor, then toss the floor jack on the driveway, jack up a tire, put a board under it, do the same for the other side....then since the tires would be even with or possibly a little higher than the storage unit floor, just roll it in there by hand. I can jack up one side of the trailer in probably 60 seconds with my little one and half ton floor jack.

EDIT: I made a small "cradle" that sits on top the floor jack to safely pick up under the spring u-bolts on the trailer axle. I could post a pic if it would make it more clear. The idea is to evenly support the load right where the u-bolts wrap the axle tube. Lifting it with my cradle actually places less stress on the tube than the u-bolts do in normal operation. It makes it quicker and safer to jack it up, because I only have to lift it and inch or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi Lee View Post
Yea, I hear you, it's a bunch of $.

Our trailer is 2100 dry but we, HE is more accurate, push it okay on the paved driveway, but it is an effort. I think we can relate to what you are anticipating, as we have a comical-to-watch routine when we put our trailer away in a rented storage unit. We back it up close to the spot. We unhitch and drive the car forward. We retrieve the dolly, and the using the dolly, push the trailer around and align the trailer straight with the garage up to the opening/lip. Set the trailer down on chocks. Then, we do like a 50 point turn because the 'driveway' is a so short to hitch up the trailer again straight. And then we use the TV to every so slowly push it back into the garage. It's a 45 min. exercise, but that is because we are such newbs.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #11

Usa
Thanks for the suggestion- yes, a pic would be helpful. I never would have even thought of using a jack in this way and am trying to imagine it for our setup.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
I move my Escape 19' with an AC6 made by Powermover. I couldn't handle that trailer with my hand dolly.

Steve

All Wheel Drive AC Powered Trailer Dolly
Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #13

Someone (Brian?) mentioned that European movers drive the trailer's own wheels. Anyone know how that is done - i.e. is it a friction drive off the tire?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Tom,
Yes, the European models are attached to the frame and have friction rollers. There are two, one on each side and they can be either wired or remote controlled. With two motors they can turn the unit on a dime, so to speak. $$$$

Doug,
Your 19' will be closer to 2900# with options.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tom,
Yes, the European models are attached to the frame and have friction rollers. There are two, one on each side and they can be either wired or remote controlled. With two motors they can turn the unit on a dime, so to speak. $$$$...........
Thanks. Sounds like a fun DIY project with maybe a cordless drill for power. In the meantime I'll have to stick to my Kubota.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Another option here is to have a hitch installed on your front of your tow vehicle. Pushing a trailer is a lot easier than backing one.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #17

Ontario
True, I didn't consider the options. The base model is 2500 lbs dry. I'd hate to have to guess what the options will add. Plus there will be all the stuff that gets left in the trailer.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Thanks. Sounds like a fun DIY project with maybe a cordless drill for power. In the meantime I'll have to stick to my Kubota.
Since my brother works at a place that, besides elevators, also sells wheel chairs, which they throw away, instead of selling used. I could adapt the wheel chair electronics and drive motors to use the joystick to control the trailer. Maybe gear it down some.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Since my brother works at a place that, besides elevators, also sells wheel chairs, which they throw away, instead of selling used. I could adapt the wheel chair electronics and drive motors to use the joystick to control the trailer. Maybe gear it down some.
Perfect source of parts. You will get a lot of additional reduction via the small roller on the large tire.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
If you use the smaller wheeled type, David, I think that you got the right stuff for a mover. Those chairs are rated at like 350#s. that is more than most the weights we deal with on hitch.