And yet another axle question?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Trailer: Coleman
Hi Roy

I'd appreciate a copy of your spreadsheet.

Tom B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Hi Roy
I'd appreciate a copy of your spreadsheet.
File Sent

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
Trailer: 87 Lil Bigfoot
File Sent

I was reading your post and I went through the replacement of the axle in my 87 Lil Bigfoot, 13.5ft, last year. I live in Sarnia, Ontario and purchased my axle from Cerka in Milton. I had to make up adapter plates so my new axle would bolt onto the existing frame. Because the axle is now under the frame and not in the frame and with the new tires my trailer sits 4" higher then before the work was done. The tires don't hit the fender wells anymore.
I posted pictures on here: Raising a Bigfoot.

If you can't see them or have other questions let me know.

Have fun,
Rick H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #18
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My hopeful installer is coming over tonight to look at the trailer after I called him today. He actually doesn't like the Dexter or the flexride and wants to look at installing a normal axle with springs and hangers (possibly a dropped axle if the height is affected too much) with the axle under or over the springs, which ever works... let you know what we decide.
This suggests to me that he only knows about leaf-spring axles -- Torsion axles have their drawbacks, but they do give a better ride than leaf-spring -- Dexter warrants torsions for five years but leaf-springs for only one.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Actually he never showed up but that is OK as the more reading and searching I do, I ill stay with a torsion axle and leave the leaf springs for my car trailer. Really like all the feedback on here. Still have to decide if I want the adjustable arm Flexride that Cerka manufactures themselves or replace with an original Dexter style. And I kinda like to install the electric brakes, just for good measure.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I highly recommend the trailer brakes. I've jammed on the brakes a few times pulling our Trillium with our Forester and it's very reassuring to feel the trailer wanting to stop as quick as the car. When braking in a corner there is big difference in the feel - you do not get the feeling the trailer is pushing in and around you.

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote