Andersen w/d hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Andersen w/d hitch

Just installed my new Andersen hitch set up, there was an 1" squat before tightening and the hitch raised the rear and lowered the front by 1/2" to equalize the set up. Real easy install.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0507.jpg   DSCN0509.JPG  

Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Jim, if you check axle loads with and without the WD engaged, I would be interested to see how much load you are transferring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #3

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Jim,
I too will be interested to hear what the scale numbers are. Also will be curious to hear if you feel the need to weld the brackets to the trailer frame, or if not, if you any problem with them moving.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Congrats on your new WD/sway control unit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Congrads Jim! I was giving them some serious thought because they are really light weight and anti sway as well. What made you go wdh?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
The brackets did not move and the trailer stayed true throughout 20-30 mph gusts on the 10 hour drive here to Tennessee. Some of the Casita/Scamps complained of horrible gas mileage due to the windy conditions. I was able to average 14-16 mpg which is better than the Dodge Ram's 12mpg. I removed it within 5 minutes, very easy. I'll report again on the return trip home for ease of hook up, sway, and mpg with the FJ Cruiser.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Sounds good Jim ! Glad to hear you have found a good setup for the FJ. Nice gas mileage !
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Jim
We also have a FJ Cruiser. I have towed a old Scotty for the last few years that was 2500lbs with no problems. The Scotty is sold and we have a Scamp on order I believe its going to be tongue heavy Because of two propane tanks and front bath. I bought air bags just in case am I worring needlessly or will I need some thing else. Oh Its a 16ft
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
The issue with the air bags is it involves dropping the rear to remove the springs to remove the rubber bumper inside the springs(where the air bags are then installed)
I opted for the Andersen to eliminate a 1" squat with the Escape's 350# t/w.
I'd purchase a Sherline t/w scale or you can borrow mine to measure your Scamp's t/w. I believe the Scamps are not as heavy as the Casita's are. Once you hook up with the FJ see if there is any squat. If not, your will be fine.
On another note, I just installed some new PIAA fog lights on the FJ, really helps at night. Pictures to follow later.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Just got back from 1400 miles towing with the Andersen Hitch and must say it was pleasant. I had 20-30 mph cross winds and never felt a thing. The hitch performed flawlessly and you did not know it was there. Once at my destination you loosen the chains, pull one pin and you are unhooked. This am I reattached the unit in less than 5 mints for the trip home, again it followed the tug like a shadow. Some of the roads were hairpin "S" type and I had no issues.
The FJ averaged 14/15/16 mpg which is better than the 12 mpg I get with the Ram. With less than 2500 miles on the FJ it should only get better. The terrain was mountainous going and coming.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #11

I've read of some very isolated situations where a couple of folks with Andersens and heavier trailers (who must cinch up those chains quite a bit) had a problem with their coupler. IIRC the pawl that keeps the socket on the ball got damaged, and the socket was riding up partway off the ball. The solution was to replace with a Bulldog or similar, because it clamps down differently on the ball.

the heavier the tongue, the more one must tighten the Andersen's chains to distribute the weight. The chains draw the back of the socket tight against the back of the ball. The people who had problems (I only read of two, I think) had tongue weights much higher than ours. I kind of doubt that we would have such troubles with our lighter tongue weights, but I mention it in case you want to look at it from time to time.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
There was a disclaimer in the package that it will not work with certain trailer couplers, mainly on Airstreams. Luckily, Escape does not use that type and with 350# of tongue weight,it was easy to raise my FJ rear and lower the front. The sway control is great as is removing and installing the entire unit.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #13

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
So I guess that the Anderson WD hitch is working good for more than me. I'll have to check for wear on my coupler latch on mine now I guess. Did I start a new WD hitch use?
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
I read about them on the Escape forum and Airstream forum, just waited until I needed it to buy one. When I tow with my Ram, I do not use it.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When you loosen the chains with a ratchet do you raise the tongue jack to help? I wondered if it helped speed the process.

Then to tighten do you count the threads exposed on each side or count the number of socket turns in? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
When you loosen the chains with a ratchet do you raise the tongue jack to help? I wondered if it helped speed the process.

Then to tighten do you count the threads exposed on each side or count the number of socket turns in? Thanks.
I did not use the tongue jack in my adjustment, I tightened the chains equally, in my case 6 threads were showing, to a point where the rear was raised 1" and the front lowered 1"(I had a 2" difference)
If further tightening was needed then you may need to use the tongue jack to further tighten the chains, if necessary. I did not need to utilize that procedure.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #17

Jim and Darrell, I have a question about the Andersen and ride comfort. How much does it eliminate the up-down jiggle? My wife is really bothered by bumps and jiggle, to the point where she doesn't want me to tow the trailer when we go visit family in Michigan (1000 mile trip each way). I am thinking of buying the Andersen, really just if it would improve ride comfort enough to where she'd be ok with the trailer again.

If you rated the jiggle at zero for the tug without trailer, and a 10 for the tug with trailer but no Andersen hitch, what number would you assign the jiggle factor for the rig with the Andersen installed?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
The Andersen does as well as a conventional w/d hitch re: pop up jiggles. Some roads will have it, no matter what type set up. There is less movement than without, I can say that.
Have you tried a different route? I try to avoid some roads with forethought due to past experience. Also check your tow vehicle shocks, a new set will make a world of difference, both my tugs have less than 10K miles so they pull like they are new.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #19

Thanks Jim. I ask the dealership sometimes to look at the suspension while I'm getting oil changed, and they always say everything's fine. I was hoping the Andersen would do a fair bit better than other W/D, as they make a point of advertising that benefit of the urethane bushings.

Someone on rv net has suggested a Air Safe Hitch, which I'd never heard of. The hitch rides on an air bag. Can't use both together, but I want to try one or the other, I guess.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Air Hitch is very expensive, if you have more than 30,000 miles then new shocks are what is needed.