Andersen WDH install on a Casita TT - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Wayne,
I'm just commenting on my experience with the Anderson hitch.
It's possible that a WDH is not needed if your truck suspension can handle the Casita tongue weight. I've also used air lifts in the past on other vehicles and those also help to level out the tug.

I'm now towing a 26 ft. conventional trailer , and for me, the WDH levels out the truck and puts weight back onto my truck's front wheels, which is where 60% the truck's braking resides. It sure comes in handy when trying to stop in a hurry on wet pavement. It's also nice to have headlights aimed properly while your towing.

I didn't do any welding for the frame brackets. The instructions say to screw the set screws in till they contact the frame, then give them 2 more turns. That puts a pretty significant dimple in the frame and so far nothing has moved. I've heard that others temporarily install the brackets/set screws to mark the frame where the set screws contact. Then, they remove the brackets, increase the size of the dimple, and re-install the brackets and set screw. I haven't been tempted to do that.
Ron

Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

There are negative issues with the use of this brand of WDH. Do your research.
Care to share what you believe the negative issues to be with the Andersen?

Currently in the market for WDH and reading lots of users forums of various sized trailers and seems everyone has an issue with one type or another - unless of course you happen to have a spare $2000 for a Hensley or a Pro Pride......

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #17

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Shopping
Montana
Andersen WDH

Since I made a reply on this thread last Feb. I did end up buying the Andersen WDH for my 17ft Casita SD. I did the installation and setup myself, when I picked the camper up in Texas in April. This is the first WDH I've used, so can't make comparisons. If took a bit of practice hooking it up, but after a few times it's not difficult at all. I tow with a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with TRD package that has a 6500 pound towing capacity. The 350 pounds of tongue weight of the Casita could almost be balanced out by the Andersen, but I was about 3/4 inch out of level. That's within reason, but I installed Firestone airbags to completely level things out. The camper and truck feel like a solid unit. No bounce. Some folks think the WDH isn't necessary. If I ever get into a bad situation, I won't be second guessing if the Andersen would have made a different. Cheap insurance.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:33 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Care to share what you believe the negative issues to be with the Andersen?

Currently in the market for WDH and reading lots of users forums of various sized trailers and seems everyone has an issue with one type or another - unless of course you happen to have a spare $2000 for a Hensley or a Pro Pride......
On various forums there are over 5,000 post relating to the Andersen. That includes positive and negative comments/views. From those discussions.......

The andrsn is the weakest of all WDH's in the attempt to distribute weight to the front of the vehicle. Comments from towing pro's and engineers who tried the product had a number of negative comments on the design/product.

The Hensley/ProPride are the Crème de Crème of sway control and WDH.

When we were getting our car/trailer set up I asked the set up pro about using a Hensley. He commented that (after test driving the rig) the Reese Dual Cam I was using was working fine. His RV shop was a big fan of the Easy Lift brand of WDH because by it's design was very forgiving on the vehicles receiver and trailer's A frame and coupler.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
On various forums there are over 5,000 post relating to the Andersen. That includes positive and negative comments/views. From those discussions.......

The andrsn is the weakest of all WDH's in the attempt to distribute weight to the front of the vehicle. Comments from towing pro's and engineers who tried the product had a number of negative comments on the design/product.

The Hensley/ProPride are the Crème de Crème of sway control and WDH.

When we were getting our car/trailer set up I asked the set up pro about using a Hensley. He commented that (after test driving the rig) the Reese Dual Cam I was using was working fine. His RV shop was a big fan of the Easy Lift brand of WDH because by it's design was very forgiving on the vehicles receiver and trailer's A frame and coupler.
THANKS. Have read many of the 5000 plus posts re the Andersen and its a real mixed bag of opinions, thus the reason I asked.

Unfortunately the money tree in my back yard has gone into hibernation at this time so as much as I appreciate the Hensley & Pro Pride systems thats not going to happen .... at least not for now.

Will take a look at the Easy Lift but admit as a mature female who more often than not does the hooking up on their own I have an aversion to heavy WDH and those that are sure to make my nails dirty with grease during hook up

Any comments re the Fastway E2 WDH with the sway control built in?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ya Carol, I hear you, my nails also used to take a beating (LOL)
I always have these (or similar) in my TV
http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Lat.../dp/B000XRY2FE

I don't leave home without them.

Wal-Mart has boxes of 50

Tags
casita