Andersen WDH install on a Casita TT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Shopping
Montana
Andersen WDH install on a Casita TT

I'm looking for what interference issues I will have installing an Andersen WDH on my 2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17FT TT. I don't want to shorten the chains, as they can only be shortened by 3 links. If I have to add chain, I want to be prepared when I pick up the camper in April. The image is from the installation manual. Thanks.

[/URL][/IMG]
blaiwayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Mount bars behind propane tank brackets add 3 links plus use quick link rated 2500 lbs + to attach links. I purchased 1ft of chain and had Casita cut the links I needed, very easy install.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
All you need for a Capita is a sway bar. I have the Anderson on n y Oliver and it is way overkill and a real pain to hook up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 01-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
David, I take that as a no vote for the Anderson on the Oliver. There was a huge discussion on the pros and cons over on the Airstream Forum, and I'm sure it still rages on.
When I seen you were getting one, I thought I would just wait a bit to see how it worked for you...Now I know. : )

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Florida
Yep. If I had it to do over I would pass on the Anderson, or any WDH for that matter.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #6

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
My tv is a 04 tacoma 4x4 v6 and a 17ft casita and the factory installed Curt swaybar works great.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:29 AM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Its not one size fits all with needing a WDH or not, much of it depends on your TV size and what suspention it has also it depends on the type of roads you travel, flat land freeway vs mountain logging road. The Casita 17 has a 400 lb tongue weight +or- plus what people load extra up front can make a huge difference on how a vehicle will safely handle without a WDH. As the Andersen being a pain what's the difficulty in slipping a collar on a shaft inserting a locking pin an tightening two nuts and you don't get grease on you doing it?
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #8

Florida
The videos put out by Anderson do make it look easy. Bear in mind that I do own the Anderson, and use it so my experience is first hand. 1. The chains must be a perfect length. 2. In order to achieve equal tension on the chains you must line up the tension plate which is the delta wing looking piece affixed to the hitch exactly the same as when you unhitched from your TV. If the plate is not in the same perfect attitude to the trailer one of the chains will be longer and the other will be shorter. Having to put the TV BACK into alignment while at the same time getting the ball under the receiver compounds the difficulty of hitching up. If your campsite is small you may need to drag the trailer out to a parking lot to get it lined up. It sounds as if your mind is made up so just be sure to attach the chains to a point on the trailer you can easily get to. You will be kneeling and going from side to side to tighten the chains.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The op does not mention the tow vehicle but Casitas are generally heavier at the tongue than other small trailers. With adequate tongue weight perhaps nothing is needed. As the Oliver owner noted and myself with another heavier unit, they are not always needed.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #10

Montana
Thank you Larryf

Thanks Larryf. Just the information I was looking for. Also, good to know that the folks at Casita will cut the links as needed. It's a pretty strong chain. Can you comment on how using the set screws when attaching the vertical bars worked for you. When I get it home, I'll apply a weld to it so the bars don't shift. Would the folks at Casita do that too?

I've read an almost endless discussion on the benefit or lack of on using a WDH with the Casita, before I decided on the Andersen setup. My TV is a 2013 Tacoma TRD. When I add 360 pounds to the rear it will drop about 1.5 inches. The suspension has added leafs in the rear, an ARB front bumper and 8000 pound winch. It doubles as my hunting rig. As it sits now, the Tacoma is level. From what I've read, I can expect the Andersen hitch to adjust to maintain that level. Distributing the hitch weight to the front axle should improve handling. I just don't see an issue with the installation, or use of this WDH system. I will report on this topic again, after I pick up my camper in April. I'll be towing it from Texas to Montana, which should give me enough experience to make informed comment.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
MC1

Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaiwayw View Post
Distributing the hitch weight to the front axle should improve handling.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaiwayw View Post
I just don't see an issue with the installation, or use of this WDH system.
[IMG]
There are negative issues with the use of this brand of WDH. Do your research.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #12

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I'm using an Anderson WDH and love it. It's easy to use, it works and it's silent.

Carefully follow the steps for setting up the hitch the first time. Then, just measure the distance between the adjusting nuts and the ends of the threaded rods at each side, make a note of the distance. Then, whenever you hook up, adjust the nuts to the same position on the threaded rods. The plate will be perfectly aligned every time. You don't have to go to a parking lot.

1. Raise the tongue and drop it lightly on the ball.
2. Attach the plate to the hitch. Loosen chains if necessary.
3. Adjust the nuts to the recorded positions.
4. Retract the tongue jack.

Done
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have the Casita factory installed Curt WDH with the Curt anti sway bar.
My Casita's tongue weight is 425 to 430 Lbs . My truck is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight without a WDH ( required above 500 lbs tongue weight per owners manual) but the dealer recommended a WDH above 400 lbs. . I am very pleased with the set up and glad we followed the dealers advise.
I did not believe that the additional cost for an Andersen WDH was warranted in our situation.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I tow a 17 Bigfoot 17CB with a 2007 Tacoma X Cab 4 X4 with tow package rated to tow 6500 pounds an for maximum tongue weight of 650 pounds. My bigfoot weight is 3000 pounds on the axle and 400 pounds on the tongue for a total of 3400 pounds. I suspect your new trailer would weigh similar or a little less. Your Tacoma may have a different tow rating. I had the springs upgraded at Toyotas expense and I also added air bag suspension. The air bag suspension is very useful even when not towing. I have considered a WDH but I really do not need one. Think this through carefully. I would think your Tacoma set up just the way it already is would do well to get you from Texas back home. If tongue weight is more than 500 pounds a weight distribution hitch would be required but I'm thinking your Casita would be less than 500 pounds on the tongue. You have read the pro and con discussions about a WDH. Some people love them and some don't. I've never used one and at this point in my towing life, see no need. If I get a heavier trailer I might get one but for now what I have works great.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Wayne,
I'm just commenting on my experience with the Anderson hitch.
It's possible that a WDH is not needed if your truck suspension can handle the Casita tongue weight. I've also used air lifts in the past on other vehicles and those also help to level out the tug.

I'm now towing a 26 ft. conventional trailer , and for me, the WDH levels out the truck and puts weight back onto my truck's front wheels, which is where 60% the truck's braking resides. It sure comes in handy when trying to stop in a hurry on wet pavement. It's also nice to have headlights aimed properly while your towing.

I didn't do any welding for the frame brackets. The instructions say to screw the set screws in till they contact the frame, then give them 2 more turns. That puts a pretty significant dimple in the frame and so far nothing has moved. I've heard that others temporarily install the brackets/set screws to mark the frame where the set screws contact. Then, they remove the brackets, increase the size of the dimple, and re-install the brackets and set screw. I haven't been tempted to do that.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

There are negative issues with the use of this brand of WDH. Do your research.
Care to share what you believe the negative issues to be with the Andersen?

Currently in the market for WDH and reading lots of users forums of various sized trailers and seems everyone has an issue with one type or another - unless of course you happen to have a spare $2000 for a Hensley or a Pro Pride......
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #17

Montana
Andersen WDH

Since I made a reply on this thread last Feb. I did end up buying the Andersen WDH for my 17ft Casita SD. I did the installation and setup myself, when I picked the camper up in Texas in April. This is the first WDH I've used, so can't make comparisons. If took a bit of practice hooking it up, but after a few times it's not difficult at all. I tow with a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with TRD package that has a 6500 pound towing capacity. The 350 pounds of tongue weight of the Casita could almost be balanced out by the Andersen, but I was about 3/4 inch out of level. That's within reason, but I installed Firestone airbags to completely level things out. The camper and truck feel like a solid unit. No bounce. Some folks think the WDH isn't necessary. If I ever get into a bad situation, I won't be second guessing if the Andersen would have made a different. Cheap insurance.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:33 AM   #18
MC1

Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Care to share what you believe the negative issues to be with the Andersen?

Currently in the market for WDH and reading lots of users forums of various sized trailers and seems everyone has an issue with one type or another - unless of course you happen to have a spare $2000 for a Hensley or a Pro Pride......
On various forums there are over 5,000 post relating to the Andersen. That includes positive and negative comments/views. From those discussions.......

The andrsn is the weakest of all WDH's in the attempt to distribute weight to the front of the vehicle. Comments from towing pro's and engineers who tried the product had a number of negative comments on the design/product.

The Hensley/ProPride are the Crème de Crème of sway control and WDH.

When we were getting our car/trailer set up I asked the set up pro about using a Hensley. He commented that (after test driving the rig) the Reese Dual Cam I was using was working fine. His RV shop was a big fan of the Easy Lift brand of WDH because by it's design was very forgiving on the vehicles receiver and trailer's A frame and coupler.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
On various forums there are over 5,000 post relating to the Andersen. That includes positive and negative comments/views. From those discussions.......

The andrsn is the weakest of all WDH's in the attempt to distribute weight to the front of the vehicle. Comments from towing pro's and engineers who tried the product had a number of negative comments on the design/product.

The Hensley/ProPride are the Crème de Crème of sway control and WDH.

When we were getting our car/trailer set up I asked the set up pro about using a Hensley. He commented that (after test driving the rig) the Reese Dual Cam I was using was working fine. His RV shop was a big fan of the Easy Lift brand of WDH because by it's design was very forgiving on the vehicles receiver and trailer's A frame and coupler.
THANKS. Have read many of the 5000 plus posts re the Andersen and its a real mixed bag of opinions, thus the reason I asked.

Unfortunately the money tree in my back yard has gone into hibernation at this time so as much as I appreciate the Hensley & Pro Pride systems thats not going to happen .... at least not for now.

Will take a look at the Easy Lift but admit as a mature female who more often than not does the hooking up on their own I have an aversion to heavy WDH and those that are sure to make my nails dirty with grease during hook up

Any comments re the Fastway E2 WDH with the sway control built in?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ya Carol, I hear you, my nails also used to take a beating (LOL)
I always have these (or similar) in my TV
http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Lat.../dp/B000XRY2FE

I don't leave home without them.

Wal-Mart has boxes of 50

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita