Andersen Weight Distributing Hitches - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I've always had a bit of trouble with the idea of WHD and Friction anti-sway for our small trailers.
A trailer is connected to the tow hitch via a ball and socket designed to move freely is directions. WHD systems stiffens the ball and socket connection, as does anti-sway bars. Additional stresses are transferred to the trailer frame, axle and tires.
My point is if you don't need it, which most fiberglass trailers don't, then using these items can create more problems than the imaginary ones they're supposed to fixing.
Agreed, and that Andersen setup scares the hell out of me. The only coupler I would begin to think about using with that would be a bulldog. Liberal greasing would be a must, and hitch wear would be greatly accelerated.

Personally, I wouldn't want to put that much stress on these trailer frames, it seems completely counter intuitive to stop a ball from being able to move.

To measure from the front axle of your rig to the trailer axle, then measure that distance out on a hill and see how much drop you have in the middle, that's how much your trailer frame is trying to hold up the back of your tow vehicle. After seeing how the space between the bed and the trailer changes by several inches with the fifth wheel on hills, I just can't imagine trying to resist it from doing just that.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Looking
Texas
Thanks cpaharley2008, sometimes I rant a bit, but this picture is a perfect example of being able to buy a hitch for something that maybe you shouldn't be using as a tow vehicle;

And yet you "can" buy one... "can" and "should" are not the same thing...

Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up

and you got the picture posting down the first time, congrats
Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and you got the picture posting down the first time, congrats
Lol thanks.

Too bad you aren't related... I work at the Toyota plant in San Antonio, and can get discounts on Toyota vehicles... like an FJ.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
As mentioned in the other thread, I towed my Escape 19 with my Honda Pilot for 4 years before using a WDH, and was not a bit bothered by the little trailer towing nuances I experienced. I decided to try the Andersen WDH as to me it seemed like a better way to go. The difference I feel is that the tow vehicle and trailer do now seem to behave as one, as things have smoothed out a fair bit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The old photos of 60's sedans with rear wheels removed and the car supported above ground by a WDH hitch head and spring bars attached to the trailer tongue should speak to all those with the slightest engineering experience, preferably before welds break or light gauge tubes kink. The vee-shaped swale, the sunken fill in cross-road utility digs, and the double speed bump present a challenge for a very long, semi-rigid lever comprising both tongue and tow vehicle.

jack
Old 07-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David78073 View Post
Lol thanks.

Too bad you aren't related... I work at the Toyota plant in San Antonio, and can get discounts on Toyota vehicles... like an FJ.
I'm always interested in accessories......Bro
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
it seems completely counter intuitive to stop a ball from being able to move
Yes, but the Andersen design only rotates the ball in synch with the trailer - the coupler still rotates on the ball in roll and pitch motions (grinding away at the back of the ball and coupler with each movement).

I think the lack of rotation between the ball and the coupler is just a side effect of Andersen's innovative method of arranging sway-damping friction between the hitch head and the part they could arrange to rotate with the trailer. The most straightforward way they found to transfer the vertical load on the ball into the cone of their cone-in-cup arrangement was to just attach the ball the top of the cone... in fact, the ball and cone are the same part.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
And seriously, let's not compare an egg to an Airstream... even the smallest ones out weigh most eggs by 1,000 pounds...
Hummmm... I compare eggs to Airstreams all the time. Some vintage models are very light......

Airstream Towed By Bike - Can-Am RV - YouTube
Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #24

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Hummmm... I compare eggs to Airstreams all the time. Some vintage models are very light......

Airstream Towed By Bike - Can-Am RV - YouTube
So? They haven't been that way for 30 years... and have you ever heard of a publicity stunt? Was that one just a shell or was is loaded... doesn't say does it.

A shell of a camper doesn't weigh a whole lot, it's all the stuff that goes into the making of a full fledge camper that adds weight to a camper.

Look believe what you want, that's what advertising is for, but the point is no amount of anything will correct a too small vehicle hauling a camper that is just too big for it... it will hide the symptoms, but it will not make the real issue go away.

And you are putting you, your family and other peoples families in danger every single time you drive down the road.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The old photos of 60's sedans with rear wheels removed and the car supported above ground by a WDH hitch head and spring bars attached to the trailer tongue
Yes, those conventional WDH's are very capable. The Andersen however is not in the same league as far as WD is concerned. The design is just not capable of transferring much weight off the rear TV axle.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
And you are putting you, your family and other peoples families in danger every single time you drive down the road.
That's right! And especially in Colorado.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #27

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Yes, those conventional WDH's are very capable. The Andersen however is not in the same league as far as WD is concerned. The design is just not capable of transferring much weight off the rear TV axle.
How much do you think it can transfer? How much can a conventional WD system transfer? As far as I know, none of the manufacturers provide this specification, so while we can make educated guesses, I don't know where to get an authoritative comparison.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #28

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
How much do you think it can transfer? How much can a conventional WD system transfer? As far as I know, none of the manufacturers provide this specification, so while we can make educated guesses, I don't know where to get an authoritative comparison.
A conventional system can practically transfer all of the weight - hence the picture of the Toronado with the rear wheels removed. No manufacturer will provide this, because that's not it's intended use.

The bars (and hitch) are sized to the weigh they can handle, my 22' HiLo has a 750# system, my 29' HiLo has a 1400# system... no two are the same and one size does not fit all.

***the 1400# system will make the vans rear tires just barely touch the ground as the tounge weight of the 29' is only 700#, but it was all the dealer I bought the rv from had in stock... and it was included, so who am I to argue.