Andersen Weight Distributing Hitches - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #99

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
But the coupler wasn't, and isn't, IMHO. Again, I have an email out, we'll see what they say.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #100

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
My trailers will lock up the tires, how much more deceleration do you want?

trailer tire lock doesnt = it is decelerating at the same speed as the tug.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #101

Kansas
Agreed. However, if I stood on the pickup brakes, then went full manual, it stopped harder. That may have changed now, since I just upgraded to fresh synthetic fluid, stainless lines, and high dollar pads/rotors. I haven't had the trailer behind it yet, but it's much better than the stock brakes were.

Even without trailer brakes, I still don't think the force would be as much under braking (short of hitting something with the tv), as it could potentially see with the wd hitch. Obviously, it's worked for enough people, but if I was going to run one, I still would only run it with a cast coupler, not a stamped one.

The parent company of them has stamped and cast couplers, I asked their thoughts on it.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #102

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Even if you considered the loading due to the tongue pushing forward during braking, this same load would only be added to what exists on the tongue latch with the Andersen WDH installed.

That said, I have no worries at all. I do admit I did wonder, but most hitches offer fairly solid and substantial latching, and there has been no issue with my hitch using the Andersen WDH at all, though I have only done two moderate length trips with it.

With regards to softer dampening. I really see no reason for this. You can back of the tension in the chains a bit like I did to get the results I desired, but the firmness of them is desired for the intended ride.

I just pulled my ball out of my hitch to look at the wear on it. It is very even all around the top of the hitch, and just slightly more worn on one side in the middle, and then fairly even right at the bottom (though not quite like the top). This looks quite good all in all. Calling it wear sounds a bit extreme though, as it is more like where it is more polished. I will monitor this after a few more trips to see where the pressures seem to be acting the most.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #103

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Question for W/D technical people out there.

When using a W/D hitch what % weight ends up on the tongue?

Is their a % one seeks to have?

Does a w/d hitch negate the 'thumb rule' for tongue weight?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #104

Alberta
Registry
Norm, the WDH does not affect tongue weight. As its name suggests it distributes the effect of this weight to the front axle, and some to the trailer axle(s) too. This adds a bit of stability to the connection of the trailer to the tow, as well as takes weight from the rear axle, if needed.

One should not use a WDH to remedy a poorly loaded tongue, which the weigh of should be in the 8-15% range. I like to shoot for 10-12%, though I must admit I am slacker than I should be with checking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #105

Kansas
In a manner of speaking, I think a standard wd hitch would have to decrease tongue weight (on the ball)..

Obviously the trailer won't weigh less, but I think the bars will be lifting up at the coupler and removing some weight from it.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #106

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
In a manner of speaking, I think a standard wd hitch would have to decrease tongue weight (on the ball)..

Obviously the trailer won't weigh less, but I think the bars will be lifting up at the coupler and removing some weight from it.
You are thinking right Jared, but transferred, or distributed, would be a better terminology for these words. I know I am being picky, but just trying to help people to best understand how it works. Because of the WDH, part of the effect of the weight is distributed elsewhere, but it is still all acting downward at the hitch.

Sorry, my forte is in demonstrating, not in explaining.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #107

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
My trailers will lock up the tires, how much more deceleration do you want?
The Prodigy set-up says to establish at what setting the trailer wheels lock up and then back off that braking so that they don't lock up.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #108

Kansas
I meant if I went full manual. I leave the controller backed off a fair amount, otherwise it slams the hitch so hard, it makes me paranoid.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #109

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You are thinking right Jared, but transferred, or distributed, would be a better terminology for these words. I know I am being picky, but just trying to help people to best understand how it works. Because of the WDH, part of the effect of the weight is distributed elsewhere, but it is still all acting downward at the hitch.
I agree. The distribution of mass in the trailer is important to its stability; measuring the tongue weight is the way we see some evidence of that distribution. Regardless of what is pushing, pulling, or twisting the tongue, that mass distribution still needs to be centred forward of the axle, which we see as positive tongue weight when the trailer is not hitched.

Any WD system doesn't change the mass distribution of the vehicle, it just forces the axles to share the load differently.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #110

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
When using a W/D hitch what % weight ends up on the tongue?
All of it... plus some more forces in various directions depending on the WD design and how hard it is applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Does a w/d hitch negate the 'thumb rule' for tongue weight?
No. In practice, WD allows a tug to handle more tongue weight, allowing (but not requiring) the trailer to be set up with a higher tongue weight.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #111

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEFORD View Post
trailer tire lock doesnt = it is decelerating at the same speed as the tug.
No, but the fact that the tug and trailer are attached does.

Deceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Since the two are attached, they are travelling at the same speed, and thus are changing speed at the same rate. That's acceleration (which is often called deceleration when the magnitude of the speed is decreasing).

The tires locking or not doesn't say anything about which vehicle's tires are applying how much of the total braking force, but obviously if they are locking they're applying a lot of braking force... as much as those tires' traction allows.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #112

Alberta
Quote:
Yes, any wd hitch will put a high load on, which is why I'm not a big fan of them to begin with, but all the others are putting it on top of the ball and coupler, right where it was designed to. As long as it isn't maxing out the tongue weight for the coupler, it's doing exactly what the coupler was built to do.

Quote:
sent an email to bulldog/Fulton/draw-tire company, we'll see what they say.
Great! I look forward to hearing about the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
The ball assy for the Anderson is designed by them... and is doing exactly what it is designed to do...
Sorry to belabour the obvious, but the ball is not the concern, and Andersen does not provide a coupler designed for this purpose.