Another Axle Question - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 72 13 ft Boler
Posts: 4
Hello All-

I am new to the site and I hate to start a duplicate thread, but I could not find this particular question answered in the many axle threads I found with the search.

Does anyone know where to get a 2,000lb flexiride configured with electric brakes? I have only seen the 3,500lb and up available with brakes and with my 13' Boler I think that would be a little oversprung. I have found the Dexter axle with brakes, but I would prefer to have the adjustability provided by the flexiride.

Thanks everyone,

Orion
__________________

__________________
Orion W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Hi Orion,

Have you looked at Southwest Wheels: http://www.etrailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm
__________________

__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 72 13 ft Boler
Posts: 4
Quote:
Hi Orion,

Have you looked at Southwest Wheels: http://www.etrailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm
Hi Mike,

I have looked at SW Wheels, and it appears that they don't configure they 2,000 lb axle with brakes. I sent them an email this evening just to make sure though, hopefully it just isn't shown on their website.

I would like to order an axle soon as I am itching to get it out on the road. We just bought our Boler and the current axle is seized up with zero travel, so I am reluctant to take it out with 'tire only' suspension.

Orion
__________________
Orion W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,434
Surely someone in the Seattle area would know. Have you checked with any of the RV repair depots or perhaps a utility trailer manufacturer in the area? I know you're looking for a brand name, so you can go from there....
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Daniel V.'s Avatar
 
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Posts: 495
Quote:
Does anyone know where to get a 2,000lb flexiride configured with electric brakes? I have only seen the 3,500lb and up available with brakes and with my 13' Boler I think that would be a little oversprung. I have found the Dexter axle with brakes, but I would prefer to have the adjustability provided by the flexiride.
Hi,

I can't directly answer your question, but I can tell you they do exist, since I just got a 2000 lb flexiride axle with brakes installed on mine last "spring". In fact, I didn't have much difficulty ordering one from a local trailer shop. The axle rides nicely - only thing I dislike about it so far is that the rubbers have started squeaking already and there's apparently absolutely nothing I can do about it except to slowly go crazy (which ought to happen eventually anyway).
__________________
Driving on parkways and parking in driveways.
Daniel V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 72 13 ft Boler
Posts: 4
Quote:
Hi,

I can't directly answer your question, but I can tell you they do exist, since I just got a 2000 lb flexiride axle with brakes installed on mine last "spring". In fact, I didn't have much difficulty ordering one from a local trailer shop. The axle rides nicely - only thing I dislike about it so far is that the rubbers have started squeaking already and there's apparently absolutely nothing I can do about it except to slowly go crazy (which ought to happen eventually anyway).

Thanks for the replies,

It is good to know they exist. I will start asking around the local dealers here in Seattle and see if they can get ahold of the axle I want.

Orion
__________________
Orion W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Sharon Herman's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 459
Hi,

Call Earl's Garage in the Shoreline area at 206.364.7400. They are located at 15th & 145th. They work on trailers (mine included) and are as honest as they come and been around for 50 years. I would highly recomend them. I don't do my own work, but they seem like they would send you in the right direction to locate things if you are going to do the work yourself. Tell them I sent you!!

Sharon
__________________
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 72 13 ft Boler
Posts: 4
Quote:
Hi,

Call Earl's Garage in the Shoreline area at 206.364.7400. They are located at 15th & 145th. They work on trailers (mine included) and are as honest as they come and been around for 50 years. I would highly recomend them. I don't do my own work, but they seem like they would send you in the right direction to locate things if you are going to do the work yourself. Tell them I sent you!!

Sharon
Thanks All for the replies and tips. Sharon, thanks for the line on your mechanic. I live in the South End, so he may be a bit of a commute for me, but I'll keep him in mind.

I got ahold of a sales rep at SW Wheel and even though it is not listed on their website, they can configure a 2,000 lb axle with electric brakes for $367.80+shipping. That seems reasonable to me.

The rep mentioned that the flexiride axles tend to be a little wider than other brands due to the replacable spindles. When I get home I'll check to make sure there is room between the wheel and the trailer body. Has anyone had a problem with a flexiride axle not fitting their trailer?

Orion
__________________
Orion W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Daniel V.'s Avatar
 
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Posts: 495
Quote:
The rep mentioned that the flexiride axles tend to be a little wider than other brands due to the replacable spindles. When I get home I'll check to make sure there is room between the wheel and the trailer body. Has anyone had a problem with a flexiride axle not fitting there trailer?
I'm not an expert by any means, but as far as I know, they are individually sized to your specs. It also depends on the rims you are using and whether they are off center rims. If you are uncertain, I would have it measured by an expert before ordering anything.
__________________

__________________
Driving on parkways and parking in driveways.
Daniel V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle Replacement Question John and Jaci Modifications, Alterations and Updates 15 07-15-2009 12:18 AM
And yet another axle question?? Don N Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 19 01-11-2009 11:32 AM
Axle question....79 Surfside kentj Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 6 05-22-2008 11:42 PM
Axle question Paul from NWOnt Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 6 02-25-2008 03:28 PM
Dexter axle question Kevin K Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 17 12-22-2007 11:30 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.