Another Axle Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 72 13 ft Boler
Hello All-

I am new to the site and I hate to start a duplicate thread, but I could not find this particular question answered in the many axle threads I found with the search.

Does anyone know where to get a 2,000lb flexiride configured with electric brakes? I have only seen the 3,500lb and up available with brakes and with my 13' Boler I think that would be a little oversprung. I have found the Dexter axle with brakes, but I would prefer to have the adjustability provided by the flexiride.

Thanks everyone,

Orion
Orion W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Hi Orion,

Have you looked at Southwest Wheels: http://www.etrailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi Orion,

Have you looked at Southwest Wheels: http://www.etrailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm
Hi Mike,

I have looked at SW Wheels, and it appears that they don't configure they 2,000 lb axle with brakes. I sent them an email this evening just to make sure though, hopefully it just isn't shown on their website.

I would like to order an axle soon as I am itching to get it out on the road. We just bought our Boler and the current axle is seized up with zero travel, so I am reluctant to take it out with 'tire only' suspension.

Orion
Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Surely someone in the Seattle area would know. Have you checked with any of the RV repair depots or perhaps a utility trailer manufacturer in the area? I know you're looking for a brand name, so you can go from there....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Does anyone know where to get a 2,000lb flexiride configured with electric brakes? I have only seen the 3,500lb and up available with brakes and with my 13' Boler I think that would be a little oversprung. I have found the Dexter axle with brakes, but I would prefer to have the adjustability provided by the flexiride.
Hi,

I can't directly answer your question, but I can tell you they do exist, since I just got a 2000 lb flexiride axle with brakes installed on mine last "spring". In fact, I didn't have much difficulty ordering one from a local trailer shop. The axle rides nicely - only thing I dislike about it so far is that the rubbers have started squeaking already and there's apparently absolutely nothing I can do about it except to slowly go crazy (which ought to happen eventually anyway).
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi,

I can't directly answer your question, but I can tell you they do exist, since I just got a 2000 lb flexiride axle with brakes installed on mine last "spring". In fact, I didn't have much difficulty ordering one from a local trailer shop. The axle rides nicely - only thing I dislike about it so far is that the rubbers have started squeaking already and there's apparently absolutely nothing I can do about it except to slowly go crazy (which ought to happen eventually anyway).

Thanks for the replies,

It is good to know they exist. I will start asking around the local dealers here in Seattle and see if they can get ahold of the axle I want.

Orion
Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Hi,

Call Earl's Garage in the Shoreline area at 206.364.7400. They are located at 15th & 145th. They work on trailers (mine included) and are as honest as they come and been around for 50 years. I would highly recomend them. I don't do my own work, but they seem like they would send you in the right direction to locate things if you are going to do the work yourself. Tell them I sent you!!

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi,

Call Earl's Garage in the Shoreline area at 206.364.7400. They are located at 15th & 145th. They work on trailers (mine included) and are as honest as they come and been around for 50 years. I would highly recomend them. I don't do my own work, but they seem like they would send you in the right direction to locate things if you are going to do the work yourself. Tell them I sent you!!

Sharon
Thanks All for the replies and tips. Sharon, thanks for the line on your mechanic. I live in the South End, so he may be a bit of a commute for me, but I'll keep him in mind.

I got ahold of a sales rep at SW Wheel and even though it is not listed on their website, they can configure a 2,000 lb axle with electric brakes for $367.80+shipping. That seems reasonable to me.

The rep mentioned that the flexiride axles tend to be a little wider than other brands due to the replacable spindles. When I get home I'll check to make sure there is room between the wheel and the trailer body. Has anyone had a problem with a flexiride axle not fitting their trailer?

Orion
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
The rep mentioned that the flexiride axles tend to be a little wider than other brands due to the replacable spindles. When I get home I'll check to make sure there is room between the wheel and the trailer body. Has anyone had a problem with a flexiride axle not fitting there trailer?
I'm not an expert by any means, but as far as I know, they are individually sized to your specs. It also depends on the rims you are using and whether they are off center rims. If you are uncertain, I would have it measured by an expert before ordering anything.

Tags
axle