Another towing vehicle question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'll mention a couple of things.

Try hard to visit a 13' and a 16' and get inside to see how it "fits". Best way is to find an Egg gathering near you so you can sample a number of rigs. You really won't know until you try. Or can you get to the Casita factory? Both Scamp and Casita maintain lists of owners willing to show their eggs at home.

I have doubts that the tongue weight allowed on your S70 is the correct figure; I would treat it as a possible error until you can get it confirmed (Letter to them or check OM's for other years).

I would also look at the GCWR, the combined TV+Egg weight allowed, to see what kind of cargo problems you might have.

Finally, the 16's don't weigh all that much more than the 13's IF you are ruthless in what you don't take along, esp stuf like an a/c and a shower/bath (the extras required for a bath not only cut down on space, they weigh a lot, what with more need for water, more need to hold waste, hot water heater [another 5-6 more gallons, plus LP]). What I'm trying to say here is that if a 13' is too small then perhaps a 16' with bath is also too small and also weighs more.

As Roger said, longer trailers are easier to back (and shorter overhangs [distance from rear axle to hitch ball] on TV also make it easier).

Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I agree with Pete that you really need to get inside these trailers. I was very surprised at how much room there is in 13'. In fact I think there's a roomer feeling in my 13' than the 16'ers I've been in. The biggest reason is I don't have a bathroom/shower to take up valuable floor space. Most 16'ers have shower, most 13'ers don't.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have doubts that the tongue weight allowed on your S70 is the correct figure; I would treat it as a possible error until you can get it confirmed (Letter to them or check OM's for other years).

I don't know how relevant this is, but our previous TV was a 1999 Volvo C70 turbo convertible. I think it had similar towing specs. We had been pulling a teardrop with it, no problem. This fall, we bought a 13' Scamp and pulled it home (to Ohio) from Wisconsin. Again, no problem, especially in the power department. In both cases, however, the car really did settle quite a bit in the rear as we hitched up the trailers. Even with the teardrop, with well less than 100# tongue weight, it settled significantly. So I'm wondering if for the sake of comfort the Volvos aren't sprung a little toward the soft side. We traded for a 2005 Subaru Outback, which seems to be much stiffer in the rear. I can stand on the bumper (165#) and it only settles 1/2". We haven't towed with it yet, but as soon as spring comes, off we go. I think it's going to be a more practical TV, especially when it comes to packing our stuff in the car.

Hope this helps.

Parker
Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If the tongue weight spec is for real (likely for FWD suspension reasons), then I would be looking into a small WDH to move weight off the rear axle and onto the front axle and trailer axle. Having a light tongue weight leads to sway problems.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
If the tongue weight spec is for real (likely for FWD suspension reasons), then I would be looking into a small WDH to move weight off the rear axle and onto the front axle and trailer axle. Having a light tongue weight leads to sway problems.
That reminds me. We had the factory hitch, which is a work of art. And Volvo-Expensive. The part that stays attached to the car terminates in a solid steel rod about 1 1/2" in diameter. The actual hitch adapter and ball (one piece) slips over it, a blue latch lever pops up, and you lock it with a key. Oh, and a little pin retracts to indicate it's locked. It could be that Volvo's specs refer to their factory hitch, and a more traditional style may do better. I would have no idea how to determine a safe rating for a non-Volvo hitch setup, however.

Parker
Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #20

Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Quote:

Yes, the tongue weight is for real. I did two a 2000 pound u-haul trailer 1700 miles with the car this past summer. The tongue weight was over 250 pounds. The car had no problem doing it, even in the mountains.

Are there any charts that show how much weight is taken off the hitch using a WDH?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #21

Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Quote:
I'll mention a couple of things.

Try hard to visit a 13' and a 16' and get inside to see how it "fits". Best way is to find an Egg gathering near you so you can sample a number of rigs. You really won't know until you try. Or can you get to the Casita factory? Both Scamp and Casita maintain lists of owners willing to show their eggs at home.

I would also look at the GCWR, the combined TV+Egg weight allowed, to see what kind of cargo problems you might have.

Finally, the 16's don't weigh all that much more than the 13's IF you are ruthless in what you don't take along, esp stuf like an a/c and a shower/bath (the extras required for a bath not only cut down on space, they weigh a lot, what with more need for water, more need to hold waste, hot water heater [another 5-6 more gallons, plus LP]). What I'm trying to say here is that if a 13' is too small then perhaps a 16' with bath is also too small and also weighs more.

As Roger said, longer trailers are easier to back (and shorter overhangs [distance from rear axle to hitch ball] on TV also make it easier).

I wasn't planning to get the shower or toilet. And I forgot to mention that I'm 6'3" and weigh 260 lbs. I tend to take up a lot of space.