Anti-theft hitch and wheel locks or clamps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 01:53 AM   #1

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Anti-theft hitch and wheel locks or clamps

I tried running a search to see if this has been discussed before, but I came up empty. I am wondering how many of you take certain precautions beyond a simple hitch lock to protect your FGRV, particularly when staying in a more remote campground in off season ?

I know that if a thief really wants something bad enough, it's next to impossible to stop them. But, is there merit, in making your trailer a less attractive target, by using hitch protectors, cables between dual wheels and tire clamps or boots ?

The thread on Lo-Jac was what got me thinking about this. A decent hitch protector and wheel boot can easily add up to $350 and at least the thieves would have to work a little harder.

Thanks for your input , in advance.
OhTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Take a look at the Brahma wheel lock. It is essentially a boot but it covers access to the wheels lug nuts. Only downside: $$$$. But it is made in Canada and at the moment the exchange rate for anyone south of the border is favorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTom View Post
I tried running a search to see if this has been discussed before, but I came up empty. I am wondering how many of you take certain precautions beyond a simple hitch lock to protect your FGRV, particularly when staying in a more remote campground in off season ?

I know that if a thief really wants something bad enough, it's next to impossible to stop them. But, is there merit, in making your trailer a less attractive target, by using hitch protectors, cables between dual wheels and tire clamps or boots ?

The thread on Lo-Jac was what got me thinking about this. A decent hitch protector and wheel boot can easily add up to $350 and at least the thieves would have to work a little harder.

Thanks for your input , in advance.
WE lock our hitch when driving and when parked using a good key lock.

We are off season travelers and often stay in remote campgrounds or cam when there's few or any other campers. The remote campgrounds are probably safer than a crowded campground near a high population area.

In our 16th year of travel in over 3000 camping nights we have never feared someone would steal anything. Fellow campers are generally good people. Of course of the 30,000 people on this site there are people who've had things stolen, even trailers. Generally trailers don't seem to be taken from campgrounds, at least in my memory.

In 3000 or so camping nights we have on occasion spent a few nights in suspicious campgrounds, populated by people not like us, at least in appearance, yet they were as nice and helpful to us as any. I have come to not fear campers, we always have something in common... oh sure they may sometimes be louder than us or less considerate, but they've never been dangerous or threatening.

Are there bad guys out there, sure... I bet the chances are lower than in your typical neighborhood.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
How about stashing a Lojack in the trailer (or outside it) somewhere inconspicuous?
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
In now 7 years on the various FG forums, all the trailer thefts I've seen reported were either in long term storage sites or from the owners' property, never in campgrounds, even remote ones. And I estimate even then it's averaged no more than 1 per year, so really almost too rare to worry about. Of course that rare victim would not agree.
In any case, I'm very fortunate that my parking site is far from the road and not observable except on my property so it would have to be an "inside job".

Walt
Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
I like these:
http://smile.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-63...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Cheap, easy to use. Not probably the most secure solution out there, but good for peace-of-mind and a deterrent for sure.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
A few years ago, when we originally found our 'soon-to-be', 'new-to-us', trailer, it was easily available, right along the side of an unfenced semi-remote highway - BUT, it was securely chained to a nearby tree, with a stout $4.00 padlock. Hmmm ?