antisway question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #21

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
I went overboard and bought the Hensley hitch., Actually the Pro Pride which is the same designer. Never feel sway either being passed or in crosswind. Have to say I am happy with the performance although it is very pricy. Also has the added advantage of being an antitheft as the receiver is specific to the hitch. This is not an advantage when in the shop as they cannot move it with their usual setup.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Trillium 1300 & 2000 Outback

We have towed thousands of miles, from Washington to Arizona four times, and never had a problem with sway or wiggle. We keep our TV tires at 36 and the trailer tires at 50 psi. We do put a lot of miles through Oregon and California both of which have a towing speed of 55.
We recently purchased a 2014 Outback and we will see what that combo does.

Here is a study done across the pond:

Bailey of Bristol - Caravan Stability Studies

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #23

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Russ I am assuming the pins you are bending are on your anti sway device and not your hitch bar? as I have never had a hitch pin bend.... wonder if perhaps you need to find stronger or larger pins...
Carol,
Yes the hitch pins tend to open up after several miles towing. I have not analyzed what causes it. I just replaced the originals with new ones. They are as heavy as will fit through the holes. I will fashion some large safety pins to try if I can't find any to buy. I like the idea of a clasp to prevent the pin from escaping.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
G35 / Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We have towed thousands of miles, and never had a problem with sway or wiggle. We keep our TV tires at 36 and the trailer tires at 50 psi.
Roger, we are in a similar boat. Car tires at 36lbs and trailer tires 38lbs. The 750lb rated Reese WDH is a big factor in our no sway, no wiggle, no drama ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giro53 View Post
I went overboard and bought the Hensley hitch., Actually the Pro Pride which is the same designer.
My hat goes of to you for taking such a positive step with regards to towing and safety.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Carol,
Yes the hitch pins tend to open up after several miles towing. I have not analyzed what causes it. I just replaced the originals with new ones. They are as heavy as will fit through the holes. I will fashion some large safety pins to try if I can't find any to buy. I like the idea of a clasp to prevent the pin from escaping.
Russ
Russ, I am wondering if perhaps there is an issue with the set up and perhaps to mush stress is being put on it? Are you doing sharp turns or backing up with it attached perhaps?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Russ,

We also had a pin that lost it's spring. We bought a new one at Tractor Supply that was thicker and have not had a problem in a couple of years. We do leave the anti-sway bar on and 'normally' tightened when backing. We do not over-tighten, it should slide.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Forgotten fact

I forgot to mention that we have no sway nor weight distribution control mechanism of any type.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #28

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Russ, I am wondering if perhaps there is an issue with the set up and perhaps to mush stress is being put on it? Are you doing sharp turns or backing up with it attached perhaps?
Guilty as charged to both counts. I never could figure out why you couldn't back up with it tensioned. Maybe that is what opens the clips? It seems the sway device wouldn't know which way the rig was going, since in normal operation it resists both compression and extension. I can see how the tires on the trailer would try to skid sideways with the device tensioned when backing up on ice or in low traction situations though.
Russ
Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
I can see how the tires on the trailer would try to skid sideways with the device tensioned when backing up on ice or in low traction situations though.
Russ
This is one of the possible down sides of the Andersen hitch. The anti sway component is built into the head.

The amount of resistance is relative to the amount of chain tension. There is no other adjustment. On a slick road or icy condition the vehicle could want to go in a straight line instead of making a turn. This problem is amplified due to the weak weight distributing factor (in some cases) of this unique design.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #30

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Washington
Registry
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Thank You everyone for all the information and advice. Currently our Scamp is all buttoned up for winter but when spring arrives we will verify the weights and everything else that is needed. The '04 Grand Cherokee has a great deal of sway due to a small diameter rear anti sway bar which we replaced with a 1" Addco swaybar and it has helped with that problem in both driveability and towing. This is our first with a TT and we are looking forward to next summer.
TADinVanUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #31

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADinVanUSA View Post
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Thank You everyone for all the information and advice. Currently our Scamp is all buttoned up for winter but when spring arrives we will verify the weights and everything else that is needed. The '04 Grand Cherokee has a great deal of sway due to a small diameter rear anti sway bar which we replaced with a 1" Addco swaybar and it has helped with that problem in both driveability and towing. This is our first with a TT and we are looking forward to next summer.
Terry,
Merry Christmas to you. The Jeep really shouldn't be introducing very much sway. The stiffer sway bar you added should keep the Jeeps body roll down. (leaning in corners). Jeeps use panhard bars to control the wag or lateral movement between axle and chassis. Most lateral movement you feel is likely coming from the tires. My tow vehicle is a Wrangler. It has similar rear suspension to yours, but mine has shorter rear overhang which lessens the tendency to wag. Yours has longer wheelbase which is a benefit, and should make it a better TV than the Wrangler, even with a longer overhang. With a balanced trailer and proper tire inflation you should have a desirable and safe safe rig.

Russ
Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #32

California
Quote:
Carol,
Russ
I'll try to attach a sketch of the safety pin I was thinking may work.

Also when camping yesterday I discovered I could insert 2 pins on the front anti sway bar hitch, as they put the holes on the inboard side too. A little redundancy for peace of mind...
Russ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stabilizer clip.pdf (377.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #33

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Russ I use a similar pin to hold my water heater outside door closed...less likely to pop off.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote