Any advice for my new Trillium tires that are rubbing the wheel well? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Name: Abe
Trailer: Shopping
British Columbia
Any advice for my new Trillium tires that are rubbing the wheel well?

Hello

Last night we bought our first trailer, a 1973 Trillium 1300. It looks like it's been on some some adventures and we're looking forward to getting to know her.

After driving home I realized that the wheels are rubbing inside the wheel well and there doesn't seem to be enough travel. There is about 2 inches between the tire and the wheel well on the left side and a little more on the right side.
The previous owner provided me with a folder of documents showing a new adjustable splined torsion axle installed in 2015 as well as new wheels and tires (14' 5x4.5 trailer wheels with ST 205/75R14 tires) installed about one month ago. He had the axles set up so that with the trailer jacked up the arm rests in the horizontal position.

Other than getting some gelcoat to fill in the abrasions from the tires in the wheel well, I'm not sure what to do next. Options I can think of are trying to increase the angle of the axle arm or buying smaller tires.

Questions I have are:

1)
Does anyone have a recommendation of an axle arm angle to try with this tire/wheel combination?

2)
What is the recommended amount of space between the top of the tire and the wheel well? I plan to do some driving on logging roads in BC and would rather not be constantly wearing out the fiberglass inside the wheel wells as I trial different heights!

3)
If I do get the axle looked at by a professional, is there anyone in the Vancouver or North Shore area that you can recommend?

Thanks very much!
AbeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeT View Post
If I do get the axle looked at by a professional, is there anyone in the Vancouver or North Shore area that you can recommend?

Thanks very much!

I'd talk to North Shore RV.

https://www.northshorerv.ca/contact-us
Old 09-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Name: Abe
Trailer: Shopping
British Columbia
Thanks for the advice Glenn, I am planning on asking North Shore to install a furnace in a few weeks so if they can help with the axles that's even better.
AbeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't know that they would do it, but they would know who will.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
You could also try Pacific Axle and Spring in Langley. That's where my flexiride axle came from and they do dexter as well I think.
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You won't gain that much on tires. And whatever you gain, you lose in ground clearance. Instead I would consider having a welder add a 3 inch lift, or whatever you are comfortable with. As far as logging roads, you better have the frame beefed up too. A lot.... The early Trilliums were known for frames breaking under the gaucho area, where the frame bends inward and upward.

A Trillium is not designed for logging roads. You will need some expert advice if that is your intent. Go into it with your eyes open. I would expect you to end up with a new, MUCH beefier frame. Not meant as discouragement, you could end up with a nice set up. Just don't expect the regular stock stuff to work.

I would also consider a Flexiride axle, which allows you to significantly change the arm angle for max ground clearance. You could then adjust it down for regular road service.

Flexirideâ„¢ Video - The Universal Group

And with the intent to do logging roads, additional ground clearance is a plus.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
Is it possible the new axles do not align the tires with the body exactly the same way as the old setup? There are several places in the assembly that could be different a little or a lot, and if they all add up in the same direction, presto, you have a new problem.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Any advice for my new Trillium tires that are rubbing the wheel well?

Bill, I think he already has a Flexi-Ride axle, since he said it has “adjustable splined” arms. As far as I know, it’s the only.

The Flexi-Ride axle has shorter arms than the fixed torsion axle it replaced, so the mounting points of the axle must be moved to keep the wheel centered in the well. It’s possible the installer got it wrong in 2015. Talking to the axle manufacturer and making some careful measurements will determine whether there’s an issue.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 AM   #9

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
All Trilliums as far as I know had 13" wheels installed at the factory. The diameter of the 14" rims& tires is what the issue is. They are just too large. The axle may be not be setting at the right height either as it's old and sagging some. You don't mention what extra items are in your Trillium ,these also affect the clearance in the wheel well too . My 13' tires have 3'' of space above them clear. Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:34 AM   #10

Registry
My 1977 Trillium with original axle and 14 inch wheels and tires has almost 4 inches of clearance. Sounds like an axle installation/location issue as Jon pointed out.

Since you are planning to go down logging roads, I certainly would not go smaller. A good shop should be able to sort this out and since you have an adjustable axle, it should work out fine.

Earlier I didn’t read OP carefully enough as he has a newish axle.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Our 1977 Trillium 4500 has 13 inch wheels with 3 inches clearance in the wheel well. I believe it came with 13 inch wheels originally. It sounds like 13 inch wheels would be a quick fix however you would probably want to stay off logging roads.
Bill
lynnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #12

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Trillium with 2 inch frame lift, 15 inch tires, and flexride set to 3 degrees down under load.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180513_110700.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	131735
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Your axle has to be positioned correctly to center the wheel in the wheel well. A non-OEM axle may not do this.
Larger wheels/tires take up more room in the wheel wells but the clearances shouldn't be that tight.
Too much weight in the unit will depress the suspension but shouldn't be a problem unless you are severely overloaded.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Your axle has to be positioned correctly to center the wheel in the wheel well. A non-OEM axle may not do this.
Larger wheels/tires take up more room in the wheel wells but the clearances shouldn't be that tight.
Too much weight in the unit will depress the suspension but shouldn't be a problem unless you are severely overloaded.

My thinking as well. I have 14 inch wheels and tires on my 1977 Trillium 1300 (not the stock 13s), and have plenty of clearance on the 43 year old axle. I think they got the measurement wrong, and your wheel/tire combo is in the wrong spot.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeT View Post
After driving home I realized that the wheels are rubbing inside the wheel well and there doesn't seem to be enough travel. There is about 2 inches between the tire and the wheel well on the left side and a little more on the right side.

The previous owner provided me with a folder of documents showing a new adjustable splined torsion axle installed in 2015 as well as new wheels and tires (14' 5x4.5 trailer wheels with ST 205/75R14 tires) installed about one month ago. He had the axles set up so that with the trailer jacked up the arm rests in the horizontal position.

Can you post the specs on the axle?
Is it the right capacity for the trailer?
Have you considered a different profile for the tire.

Arm horizontal when jacked up indicate a degree up install.

IIRC suggested flexride setup from the mfgr is somewhere in the range of 24 degree down.

It sounds like the previous owner tried to re-engineer the axle/tire situation without fully understanding the implications.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Arm horizontal when jacked up indicate a degree up install.
I was corrected on this one.

I was originally thinking of all the specs I put into a spreadsheet 10+ years ago. It had 3 ranges - max load or deflection, standard load as in trailer sitting on the ground and no load.

In this case - arm horizontal on no load would be zero degrees.
My Bad.

Thanks Brian B-P.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, trillium