Any idea what could be causing my tow problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
And I repeat my caution that you may have damaged the brakes. Specifically, since you said they were very hot, the rotor could have been warped. Does it still stop smoothly? Does it pull to one side when braking? If these things or other things seem out of wack when braking (without trailer) then I would have the brakes checked, esp the rotors.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I learned six months ago that my seven year old RAV4 has heated mirrors.
Read the manual.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
SO? The vehicle is designed for towing. They market it for towing. It should be able to tow without the brakes on the entire time.

Now if there was user error when towing, that may be different, but the simple fact that the OP was towing does not affect the warranty.
When I purchased a 2011 Ram it came with the tow package but without the factory brake controller . The factory brake controller is tied to the truck's onboard computer . The factory brake controller settings are displayed on a screen . The truck's computer also changes charge voltages and brake parameters when a trailer is hooked up to the vehicle. If you want to have an aftermarket brake controller function as the factory controller does ,you need to tie the controller to the computer buss and have the computer reprogrammed to accept the controller.at a cost of up to $500.. The factory controller cost's $230. They want you to buy the factory brake controller . The same thing applies to the factory tow mirrors . The vehicle is not designed to have them added aftermarket.
I never said or implied that you cannot or should not tow with the OP's vehicle. or that warranty coverage can or would be denied What I was saying is that if the OP removed any items she added for towing and said he/ she never towed with the vehicle
, the onboard computer would say otherwise.
If you go to the Ram website you will find people who were denied warranty coverage because they added after market tuners .
Even though they removed the tuner before taking the vehicle into a dealer , the onboard computer showed that the vehicle was modified.
In my 2011 Ram they used copper spark plugs which were scheduled to be changed every 32 K miles. Many people tried to avoid changing the plugs at that interval and installed iridium sparkplugs . The vehicles computer sensed that the plugs were the wrong type and put the engine into limp mode.
Auto manufacturers are " CTA " and do not want to pay for warranty work caused by the vehicle owners modifications.
How we think things should work and how they actually work are often quite different !!!.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I learned six months ago that my seven year old RAV4 has heated mirrors.
Read the manual.
WOW Glenn, and I thought I was a slow reader.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I never said or implied that you cannot or should not tow with the OP's vehicle. or that warranty coverage can or would be denied What I was saying is that if the OP removed any items she added for towing and said he/ she never towed with the vehicle...
OK now I get your point. I won't quote your entire message, but yes, you are 100% on target.

In the case of my Toyota, it is marketed as being able to tow 3500 lb trailer. Yet when I contacted them abut a brake controller, they said they don't endorse any after market ones and any modifications might void the warranty. OK then, where do I get the OEM brake controller? Well, there is none. Nor is there any pre-wiring for it or trailer brakes. So I was forced into a decision to perhaps void the warranty on my new van, or add the after-market brake controller and trailer lights converter. &$^@! Toyota!

I have 19 months left on the warranty and so far not a single problem, so I keep my fingers crossed. Next time, if I buy another tug new, it will be a different vehicle for towing - one where the towing equipment is also covered by warranty!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My after market hitch receiver, and wiring for lights and brake controller ( I provided ) were done at the Toyota ( Canada ) dealership by a hitch installer that they brought in. It was a condition of sale that I have a Class III hitch receiver.
I think they'd have a hard time arguing warranty with me.
Also, the hitch and wiring install cost $650. The OEM Class II hitch would have cost $950 on it's own.
Last service I asked them to check the hitch receiver and they reported it was in good condition.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #27

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Having one of these new vehicles with an ECU that records operating parameters and tattles back to the dealer is like big brother second guessing your every move. Your best defense is to research the vehicles advertised capability before you plunk down your money. You need to know what is considered allowable operation. Vehicles that drive for you have sensors that can be thrown off by weight distribution hitches etc. The owner's manual probably tells you to turn it off under those conditions. Most of us tow really small trailers that are for the most part non challenging to most mid sized vehicles. Getting up to a 21' loaded FG trailer starts to require a well built full sized truck to tow with safety and ease. The manufacturers should back those that are used for towing with a warranty because that is what they are built for.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote