Any idea what could be causing my tow problem - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Tennessee
Any idea what could be causing my tow problem

Bought 2016 Dodge Durango R/T ( V8 hemi engine) to tow my new-to-me 21ft Bigfoot trailer. Only towed once to and from my local RV guy about 20 minutes away. Everything seemed fine. Towed again yesterday to same place and barely made it. Inclines were a struggle and it felt like I was driving with the brake on. I wasn't. The SUV brakes were super hot when I arrived but the trailer brakes were fine. RV guy disconnected trailer battery and unplugged trailer but left trailer hitched. Said he could still feel the problem. He further checked all the wiring in the trailer and promised me it was not a trailer problem. My auto repair guy put a meter in the car plug and had me push my brakes on and off. He said the meter lit only when the brakes were pressed verifying the brake controller is working properly ( Tekonsha P3). Dodge service had no suggestions. Very little info in Dodge manual. No error lights appearing on dash. Anybody have any idea what might be my problem?.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Parking brake is stuck 'on', would be my guess. Or possibly a wiring short in the trailer wiring/harness/plug area that engages the vehicle brake continuously. Disconnect the trailer and see whether the Durango will move easily with transmission in neutral, on a slight downhill pavement. Then try the same thing again with the trailer hooked up. If in either situation the Durango won't roll freely, the brakes are staying engaged. Trying it both ways would suggest where to look for the source of the problem.

The clue I picked up on was, the suv brakes were super hot.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
On some Dodges , if you don't have the factory tow package and add an aftermarket brake controller it screws up the vehicle's ABS brake system . This info came from a Dodge forum so I am not sure if it is accurate.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jane, I'm wondering if the traction control/anti-skid is falsely "sensing" a situation where it thinks it needs to apply the brakes to keep you safe. My lifted Jeep Rubicon does this on some of the slightest curves, (especially in the San Juan Mountains) to the point I went to a JK forum to find a way to defeat this function so I could drive it the old fashion way before computers starting driving for us.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On some Dodges , if you don't have the factory tow package and add an aftermarket brake controller it screws up the vehicle's ABS brake system . This info came from a Dodge forum so I am not sure if it is accurate.
Steve, I believe you have the answer. One could pull the ABS fuse and try it to see if that solves the problem, and if it does, maybe Dodge dealer has a fix.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #6

Tennessee
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I forgot to say that the car seems to run fine when not towing.
Mike, I put my car in neutral and it moved downhill with no problem. Haven't tried it with the trailer attached yet.
Steve, the tow package was factory installed but that's not to say it couldn't cause the same problem.
David, you may have hit on the problem. The anti-skid icon did display when I took the trailer home yesterday. I was just driving down a regular road and was surprised that it appeared. I've never seen it before. I do have a button to turn it off but didn't because I wasn't sure what it did. It didn't display when the problem first occurred. My last car was 14 yrs old with no technology and this one has all the bells and whistles. Should I try towing with the anti-skid turned off?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Jane, by all means turn the anti-skid off to see if that solves the problem.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #8

Tennessee
Can't try until tomorrow. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know so I can try everything on one tow. I'm still new at this so hitching up my trailer is still an ordeal for me. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
I wonder if the car is sensing the front is lighter than the rear and is triggering the traction control/anti skid?

Do you have a weight distribution hitch?

Jeremy
Old 04-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #10

Tennessee
Yes, I have a weight distribution hitch. I have the model with the rear bed which I read has good weight distribution.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
2016.. so it is under warranty? I would find a dealer who know what the heck they were doing to get it sorted out, esp since you may have damaged the brakes by overheating them.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Tennessee
Gordon, it is under warranty. But my experience tells me Dodge will want to blame the problem on the trailer or brake controller. Just trying to gain some knowledge before I take it in. They wouldn't look at it this weekend anyway. Planned to leave for my first campout and rally Monday morning so this really has been a disappointment.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
[QUOTE=Jane H.;585055]Gordon, it is under warranty. But my experience tells me Dodge will want to blame the problem on the trailer or brake controller. .../QUOTE]

You might be right.. I know Toyota just left me out hanging when I asked their tech people for some help and info to get the tug set up for towing. Lawyers..

Still, now that you have ruled out the trailer and brake controller with an examine by experts, I would put some pressure on Dodge.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
You might still be able to take that trip. Hook up on Sunday and do a little trial-and-error experimentation. Maybe just pushing that button will be enough.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote