Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
"Thanks for contacting Dexter Axle, I hope to be of assistance. Dexter does not have an official position on adding shocks to the Torflex axles nor do we offer any type of shock kit for Torflex axles. We do have one customer that requests a special bracket welded to the torsion arm of their axles for the purpose of mounting a shock. Adding a shock to the torsion arm of the axle will not increase the axles capacity or spring rate of the suspension however some may argue that shocks offer a smoother ride. Dexter does not have any data that suggests adding shocks is of benefit to the axle suspension."

Excellent. So we are in agreement then.
Can we now return this thread to the question I originally asked?

Jim

Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Excellent. So we are in agreement then.
Can we now return this thread to the question I originally asked?

Jim
Wrong, we're not in agreement. Now to answer your original question. NO!!! I see adding shocks as an additional cost and another unnecessary additional source of potential problems.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Then don't add them to your trailer Byron.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
True Byron, the newer ones are very heavy. The vintage ones are light by today's standards. Our 23' dual axle has a dry weight of 3,500lbs. The same trailer with a single axle is only 3,000lbs. Not that much more than the road ready larger glass eggs. Thinking that any egg with a torsion axle and shocks is going to be a very sweet tow.

PS.. Years ago my buddy built a leaf spring utility trailer. I always recalled his comments about how nice it towed after installing shocks and how it was bouncing all over the road before.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Then don't add them to your trailer Byron.

OK, I wont.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #20

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
True Byron, the newer ones are very heavy. The vintage ones are light by today's standards. Our 23' dual axle has a dry weight of 3,500lbs. The same trailer with a single axle is only 3,000lbs. Not that much more than the road ready larger glass eggs. Thinking that any egg with a torsion axle and shocks is going to be a very sweet tow.

PS.. Years ago my buddy built a leaf spring utility trailer. I always recalled his comments about how nice it towed after installing shocks and how it was bouncing all over the road before.

Once again there's that apples and oranges thing. Leaf springs and rubber torsion axles are totally different things.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Another thread ruined by thread drift.

This is my final plea to stay on topic.
If this plea doesn't work then I don't know what to say.
8 posts from 1 person that completely ignore the request in the original post seems a bit rude to me. If you want to start your own thread about "Shocks dont work on torflex axles and I can prove it" please use the new thread button and dont pollute this thread.

For those of you that have difficulty understanding English here is the pertinent part of the original post

"Please reply if you might be interested in adding shocks to your Scamp."
Old 09-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I would say one does not need shocks with a torsion axle however that does not mean that no benefit can be derived from adding shocks.

Torsion rubber getting an assist over part of it's range of compression might extend the life of the rubber. More so for people that would wear out rubber as opposed to having rubber just get too old.

I think getting shocks that provide the right level of added suspension at the right point in wheel travel would be key to getting most benefit from adding shocks. Or if one wanted a leaf spring suspension which I think a few have done.

Needed? Not really but if my trailer tended to the heavy end of that model (while still within axle rating) or one did a lot of rough road travel it might be a modification worth considering.

That they use shocks in Europe with torsion axle is not an argument for or against. It just indicates that shocks can be used with torsion axles and in some markets they are more common. Not much different than some markets in N. America people use snow tires, other people use all season in same market, and some don't have any reason to consider snow a factor.

Think the OP is wondering if investing time/money into offering this product will find a market, not trying to create a market by advocating people need this product.

I'm not in the market for adding shocks but it would be nice if future posts to this thread were answering the original request to find those that are.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
This European argument is tired and old. It makes no reasonable sense at all. UK drives on the left so we should too. They use a circle with a number to indicate maximum speed, so we should too. Tow rating on their diesel vehicles are different the US ratings on the gas powered vehicles so we should adopt the same rating, etc., etc., etc.
I really don't understand this response, but I do understand the function of damping
While leaf springs definitely benefit from dampers the rubber can use some help as well.
Rubber as a spring is naturally damped to some extent but not completely. When the weight is added to the system the frequency is lowered. If the natural frequency happens to coincide with the sway frequency and the coupling to the car is also not well damped the sway will increase. It it is damped below the resonant frequency then the sway will naturally decay.
Just adding shocks without regard to other factors may result in an overdamped condition.
Check out the cut sheet that relates the supplied shocks and the weight range of the load.
The RIGHT side of the road driving Germans have probably calculated this pretty well. They also tend to over complicate things quite often.
Personally I think that properly selected shocks would add safety and stability to the towing system.

As to the kit I am game for one. I think that a system similar to the AL-KO might be also worthwhile if available in the US for the US axles. Unfortunately the slot is not there in the us axles.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Casitas use the same torsion axles as Scamp. All you need to do is view the video about pre-shocks and after-shocks to determine if shocks are important to you. I've read about boondockers of all molded towables that make my socks sag!

What I think and need may not be what YOU need. Check it out and make your decision...
Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Have I been mislead? I thought rubber torsion axles provided the same effects as shock absorbers. If that's the case what the purpose of add shocks, isn't that like adding additional shocks to auto?
Just what I was thinking, too!

Spanke
Old 09-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #26

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Over complicate

[QUOTE=redbarron55;484536]I really don't understand this response, but I do understand the function of damping

"The RIGHT side of the road driving Germans have probably calculated this pretty well. They also tend to over complicate things quite often."

Over Complicate is too kind of a phrase . Having worked on German and Swiss machinery , it seems as if they purposely try to make a simple problem into a complex one . For what it's worth I have read the Casita Forums , watched the before and after video of the shocks in action and have seen the Orbital shock kit at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally . If the shocks help keep my cushions in place ,my cabinet & refrigerator doors closed and my wife complaining about the mess when we arrive at our campsite , there worthwhile TO ME
Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
There are a few threads that might offer some insight into the use of shocks with a trailer, both with leaf springs, and torsion axles.
Shock Absorber Retrofit
Trailer Shock Absorbers
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #28

Trailer: Burro&Bambi
I think it's really great that someone is willing to invest their time and brain to make speciality parts for the fiberglass segment of the huge RV world. Plus, IMO, the estimated price to produce it is very reasonable.

When the time comes for me to have a smaller trailer as my primary, it will most likely be either a Scamp or Casita. Based on my experience with the non FG trailers that I have, both with Dexter torflex axles, one with shocks, one not, the first thing I will buy is one of these shock kits.

Tags
scamp