Any one running ST185/80R13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #15

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I just had a pair of ST185/80R13 Goodyear Marathon trailer radials installed on my 2000 Scamp 16 side dinette. I'll report on how they work on the road as soon as I take a trip.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
The best solution in my opinion would to use the same wheels on both the tow vehicle and trailer.
That's what I was trying for. Even had wheels made for the Scamp. Sigh. Won't work. The offset to clear the disc brakes on the front end of the tug won't allow the wheels needed to fit inside the wheel well on the Scamp.

Back to two spares... double drat.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I had a pair of ST185/80R13 Carlisle trailer radials on my 13' boler American. The spacing was tight to install and they scrubbed the top of the wheel well with the original axle. The tires seemed OK. Had some serious wear due to the axle. I switched to a 12" rim with Carlisle trailer tires when I swapped axles. The final tire diameter seemed to be a lot closer to the original 6.00 - 13, and they look like they fit
Low profile ST 145/R12 tire on a 5-hole rim
Load range D (max. load of 1,220 lbs. at- 65 PSI)
They are on sale this week mounted on rims at Princess Auto. Item # 8128324 for $99.99

Edited the "at" symbol out
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Oddly enough, somewhere on the tire it says it is replaces an LT tire. Who'd imagine a 12" LT tire?

Must be for a Tonka toy
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #19

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Unhappy

Quote:
Bad news--the Goodyear Marathons are made in China. Even the local Goodyear dealer didn't know it until he called his distributor and confirmed it. The guy basically called me a liar until he made the call!!
The ones I have say they were make in New Zealand, marked on the tires. ? The rubber on the Marathons looked better than the rubber on the Carlisle we looked at at Wal-mart which were marked made in China.

We made it back from North Dakota to New Mexico last year, then went up to Colorado Springs, CO and back. We went on a short trip to Datil Wells Campground in NM this year, then up to the Black Hills of South Dakota on our way to North Dakota and back again to New Mexico. No problems with the ST185/80R13 Goodyear Marathons. No rubbing, bumping or knots.

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
The ones I have say they were make in New Zealand, marked on the tires. ? The rubber on the Marathons looked better than the rubber on the Carlisle we looked at at Wal-mart which were marked made in China
I guess one has to examine the actual tire -- I looked at Carlisle in a Wal-Mart recently and they were marked "Made in USA". I should have looked to see how old it was.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
That's what I was trying for. Even had wheels made for the Scamp. Sigh. Won't work. The offset to clear the disc brakes on the front end of the tug won't allow the wheels needed to fit inside the wheel well on the Scamp.

Back to two spares... double drat.

Hi Donna D.,

"Where there's a will, there's a way."

Whether the way is practical or not is another issue.

Just thinking. A Scamp might look "way cool" outfitted with aggressive fender flares to accommodate wheels with a super-normal offset. That's one big benefit of fiberglass and at the age of your Scamp, it might just appreciate a little dressing up.

My idea is to install a set of 31 X 10.50 - 15's on mine to match the Jimmy. Once those are on I doubt anyone would claim the Scamp is under-tired! Don't think I'd want to mount one of those big guys on the Scamp's spare tire mount , either.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #22

Name: Dan
Minnesota
Quote:
I just had a pair of ST185/80R13 Goodyear Marathon trailer radials installed on my 2000 Scamp 16 side dinette. I'll report on how they work on the road as soon as I take a trip.
My new tires worked without incident for my 325 mile round trip over the weekend. No problems with bearings, brakes or tires rubbing in the wheel wells.

I don't believe that this will lead to anything other than a bit of peace of mind due to an increase in load capacity - so that I'm budgeting on a replacement pair in another 4 years.

-- Dan Meyer

P.S. For those of you wondering, my cost for the new tires installed and balanced ran about $225.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Keep in mind that any outward offset from 0 will result in a reduction of load capacity on the axle. I don't know how much, but Dexter should be able to tell you.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #24

Name: Alf
California
So any update on how the 185/80R13 worked out ?

I need tires and am thinking of going with this loadstar:

Loadstar ST185/80D13 Bias Trailer Tire - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM1ST79
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
IMHO, the best 13" ST tire on the market is the Maxxis Radial 8008. They are made in Thailand. I put a set on the Compact Jr 3 years ago and have no problems. These replaced Goodyear Marathons when one shed its thread on the road. Avoid Chinese made tire if possible.