Any one running ST185/80R13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

We are looking at going with ST185/80R13 Good Year Tires on our Egg. Anyone with a Scamp with them on out there.

There isn't much room in the wheel wells, with they take a little wider tire?
175 vs 185

New Tire Width: 7.0 vs 7.2

OutSide Diamater 24.0 vs 24.7

Triad Width 4.9 vs 5.2

Static Load Radus 10.6 vs 10.8

They seem small differences but it is a tight fit where the wheels run.

I am after these: Max Load 1360 vs 1480 and Revs per mile 870 vs 851

It would be nice to see what they look like but the dealers will have to order the 185's, none in stock.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You might want to do a tire search on this group and the Casita Forum. A few folks have reported past problems with Carlisle (Scamp and Casita stop using them) and then with the Marathons, so I believe the Casita group is using Kumos. OTOH, Yahoo Scampers seem pleased with something like Towmaster (I may have that wrong).

Problems with almost any tire may result from the curbside tire often hitting stuf, underinflation coupled with hot weather and high speeds, and some speculate that metal valve stems are better than the lower pressure rubber stems.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't have a Scamp, but I did put them on my '89 Casita before I had it raised. There wasn't room for the 14's so I opted for the 185's when I replaced the 175's. I didn't have a lot of experience with them before I change out the axle, but I was quite pleased with them while I had them. They are a beefier tire but I don't think you should have a clearance problem with them.

... course that doesn't really answer your question about the Scamp clearance, does it?
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I replaced the BR78x13 tires that were on my 84 16ft Scamp with junkyard mag wheels off a Fiat Spyder (I think). Tire that were on the mag rims were size 205-70x13 load range B. No problem with clearance.

Last fall on a trip back from So. California one of 'em blew. Put on the spare which was another junkyard tire on the same type junkyard wheel. Got several hundred miles up the coast and stopped for the night in Crecent City, CA. In the morning did my visual checks, as I always do and "Lo and Behold" there was no tread on the tire that had been the spare. It was running on the steel cords, but still holding air.

Damage to the Scamp was partial wheel well ripped out on the right side as well as a chunk of fiberglass behind the wheel well. Fixed the wheel well as soon as I got home, but the side is still a little ugly, just a cosmetic issue. Plan to fiberglass in a new piece in the next week or so and paint the whole trailer.

The only appropriate tires available in town were 185-80 x 13's. I was sort of stuck, but the price was OK ($42 each mounted and balanced) so that is what the Scamp is wearing. Brand name is Dayton.

We have made one major trip since then, about 4000 miles, with no problem and no visibile wear. They are round and hold air. Wish they were white walls and a couple of inches wider, but sometimes you take what you can get, rather than what you really want.

Are they OK? Seem to be.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Make sure they are Light Truck tires. I had a bad blowout too with a Passenger rated tire. Tore up the fiberglass.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #6

Also check the wheel itself. It's original application may have been as a hub-centered wheel and now it's on a lug-centered hub. Also possible that the lugnuts/bolts have the wrong cone angle for the wheel.

For example, if the wheel is hub-centered and intended for flat-angle bolts, and you installed it with angle cone bolts, it may be waaaay out of center and beating tires to death.

There's some science to all this stuf and sometimes we aren't aware of it (I shudder sometimes, looking back on things I have done in total ignorance).
Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #7

After a lot of research and calling around and from what some of you guys wrote, I went with the ST185/80R13 Good Year Maraton Tires. I wanted to say away from passanger tires and not too sure of light truck tires, mainly very unlikely to find a light truck tire in size 13". I wanted ST or trailer tires and I wanted radials. I am please to get a greater Max Load of 1480 and lower Revs per mile of 851. But will have to wait til next week, Thursday. TirePlus in Minot order them for me, $68.99 before tax, etc.
Just hoping the clearence will be enough. I am planning on getting spare wheel so we will have two spare in the future. It has room under the tongue for one. I am just happy the tire did not blow, that I noticed the blister.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Tires are not like wine...they do not get better with age The "NEW" Carlisle's the Prev. Own. put on I found to be cracked on the side walls. This I discovered B4 our trip...WHEW!!! I just changed over to radials so 3 tires required and it's a good time to re pack the bearings... found the P.O. used the wrong seals so the grease was getting out where it shouldn't be So the moral of the story is our 13' '77 Boler got 3 new 175 80R 13 load range C Goodyear Marathons @ 46p.s.i cold and 2 new seals and a bearing re pack and I towed with confidence on our 1st. trip of the season. 2007 Bolerama "Retro Rally" was a FANTASTIC time. Official count 104 "EGGS" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #9

We went with the 185 Marathons, we got them put on last Thursday in Minot, ND and we just arrived home in New Mexico yesterday evening, about 16 hundred miles with no problems. We hit some dips, rough roads, pot holes, etc and no problems. We are much more satisfied with them. They look more road worthy. It was a slighty tight fit but they seem right at home. I also bought another wheel/rim and now have 2 spares, both 175 Marathons (one older tire in good shape and the old spare just used about 80 miles). I mounted the new wheel & tire under the tongue, it off sets the bikes on the rear cargo carrier. Not much, if any, difference in towing on our trip. I just wanted to have a set of tires if I every loose one again. The 13' wheels and tires are hard to find it seems, unless you want ones made in China or some other off brand.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Desert Hawk,

I also like the idea of 2 spares.

The best solution in my opinion would to use the same wheels on both the tow vehicle and trailer. Then either spare would fit either.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The best solution in my opinion would to use the same wheels on both the tow vehicle and trailer. Then either spare would fit either.
I agree. Unfortunately, there are few combinations of trailer axle and tow vehicle which are properly fit by the same wheel. The bolt pattern match is easy, but offset, centre hole size, and whether or not the wheels are hub-centred are another matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
So how are the 185's working out? I also have a 16 Scamp and need new tires before my trip in two weeks. Any problems with the clearance you have noticed?

Thanks
John and Adrienne
John Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 86 U-Haul CT (#1108)
Quote:
... unless you want ones made in China or some other off brand.
Bad news--the Goodyear Marathons are made in China. Even the local Goodyear dealer didn't know it until he called his distributor and confirmed it. The guy basically called me a liar until he made the call!!
Tim Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #14

Here's a link to a list of the DOT tire codes, which you can take to the dealer and show him where ALL his tires were made based on the code molded into the tire side.... I think the list is actually a couple of years old, so there might be some new ones, but the old codes shouldn't change.

http://www.harriger.com/tiremakers.htm

BTW, if you do a 'find' (Cntrl+F) for 'goodyear' on the list, you'll see they are made all over the world!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I just had a pair of ST185/80R13 Goodyear Marathon trailer radials installed on my 2000 Scamp 16 side dinette. I'll report on how they work on the road as soon as I take a trip.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The best solution in my opinion would to use the same wheels on both the tow vehicle and trailer.
That's what I was trying for. Even had wheels made for the Scamp. Sigh. Won't work. The offset to clear the disc brakes on the front end of the tug won't allow the wheels needed to fit inside the wheel well on the Scamp.

Back to two spares... double drat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I had a pair of ST185/80R13 Carlisle trailer radials on my 13' boler American. The spacing was tight to install and they scrubbed the top of the wheel well with the original axle. The tires seemed OK. Had some serious wear due to the axle. I switched to a 12" rim with Carlisle trailer tires when I swapped axles. The final tire diameter seemed to be a lot closer to the original 6.00 - 13, and they look like they fit
Low profile ST 145/R12 tire on a 5-hole rim
Load range D (max. load of 1,220 lbs. at- 65 PSI)
They are on sale this week mounted on rims at Princess Auto. Item # 8128324 for $99.99

Edited the "at" symbol out
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Oddly enough, somewhere on the tire it says it is replaces an LT tire. Who'd imagine a 12" LT tire?

Must be for a Tonka toy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #19

Unhappy

Quote:
Bad news--the Goodyear Marathons are made in China. Even the local Goodyear dealer didn't know it until he called his distributor and confirmed it. The guy basically called me a liar until he made the call!!
The ones I have say they were make in New Zealand, marked on the tires. ? The rubber on the Marathons looked better than the rubber on the Carlisle we looked at at Wal-mart which were marked made in China.

We made it back from North Dakota to New Mexico last year, then went up to Colorado Springs, CO and back. We went on a short trip to Datil Wells Campground in NM this year, then up to the Black Hills of South Dakota on our way to North Dakota and back again to New Mexico. No problems with the ST185/80R13 Goodyear Marathons. No rubbing, bumping or knots.

DesertHawk
Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #20

Quote:
The ones I have say they were make in New Zealand, marked on the tires. ? The rubber on the Marathons looked better than the rubber on the Carlisle we looked at at Wal-mart which were marked made in China
I guess one has to examine the actual tire -- I looked at Carlisle in a Wal-Mart recently and they were marked "Made in USA". I should have looked to see how old it was.