Any one towing with a Ford Ecoboost? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Any one towing with a Ford Ecoboost?

Just wondering about your fuel mileage while towing.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have the 3.6L w/Ecoboost in my last two tows, both Flexes (Flexii?). My previous tow was a 2010MY Flex w/Ecoboost.
I'm getting about 15 mpg through rolling hills of Michigan and Indiana.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Which EcoBoost engine are you asking about... or are you interested in all of them: 3.5L V6, 2.0L I4, and 1.6L I4?

There's also the question of vehicle: fuel consumption and performance are not determined just by the engine. The 3.5L EcoBoost is available in a range of vehicle models, from full-sized trucks to mid-sized wagons.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
For towing the pro's suggest the Taurus with the ecoboost. The ecoboost in the F150 works too if you need a pickup.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
My question was about a full size pickup. I am a new owner of one with the "Ecoboost". I custom ordered it with the max trailer tow package, heavy duty payload package and 4WD. I have not towed with it yet. I have not even blown the cobwebs out of it yet, but I can tell it has lots of power. However it appears to be using more fuel on highway driving than my 2010 F-150 did. The F-150 was two wheel drive with the same HD packages and a 5.4 V-8. I am attaching a photo of it taken one month ago today at the information/rest area at Lordsberg, New Mexico. (I made one final run with it to Quartzsite and Los Angeles last month).

I will be posting performance results in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4083.JPG   IMG_4085.JPG  

IMG_4034.JPG  
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy I thought I can't get an Eco-boost with a tow package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I have the 3.6L w/Ecoboost in my last two tows, both Flexes (Flexii?). My previous tow was a 2010MY Flex w/Ecoboost.
I'm getting about 15 mpg through rolling hills of Michigan and Indiana.
I looked at a Ford Flex at the international auto show. The brochure seemed to reflect that they wouldn't put a factory tow package on one with an Eco-boost engine here in California.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Frederick the Ford.ca Towing Guide for the 2012 model years shows on page 24 that the Flex with a 2.0 L Eco boost engine does not have a tow capacity but the Flex with a 3.5L V6 Eco Boost does. Page 31 shows the optional Class III hitch for the Flex.... perhaps it is a California thing but normally if you cant have it in California then neither can we in BC so I would have expected a side note on the Ford.ca site in that regard if that where the case.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
... the Flex with a 2.0 L Eco boost engine does not have a tow capacity but the Flex with a 3.5L V6 Eco Boost does. Page 31 shows the optional Class III hitch for the Flex...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Frederick the Ford.ca Towing Guide for the 2012 model years shows on page 24 that the Flex with a 2.0 L Eco boost engine does not have a tow capacity but the Flex with a 3.5L V6 Eco Boost does. Page 31 shows the optional Class III hitch for the Flex.... perhaps it is a California thing but normally if you cant have it in California then neither can we in BC so I would have expected a side note on the Ford.ca site in that regard if that where the case.
I was confused because I never heard of a 2.0L Ecoboost in the Flex. From the Towing Guide referenced I note that the 2.0L engine is used in the Edge. The Flex is all 3.5L: either Ecoboost or normally aspirated. Both engines and trailer tow seem to be offered in Canada.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote