Anyone changed the leaf springs on a Hunter Compact? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #1

Name: Cathie
Trailer: New owner of a 73 Hunter compact ll
California
Anyone changed the leaf springs on a Hunter Compact?

My 73 Hunter Compact II is finally getting to the final steps of the Reno! Final coats of paint, repacking bearings and I noticed the leaf springs were pretty lousy looking. They look almost flat, not much absorption of road shock. When I measure the existing length ( as recommended in order to purchase the correct size) I don,t find a similar length. They measure 27” most 4 leaf springs are 26” or less. If these are the originals could they have flattened more than an inch?
Has anyone changed their own leaf springs? It doesn’t look that difficult. Except for the very rusted bolts. Appreciate any advise from the group.
Cathie Sadler-Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
To get the correct spring length, measure from the center of one pin, to the center of the other pin, not overall length. Measure the width of the spring. And then count the number of leaves. Replace the U-bolts and nuts too. If necessary, just cut the old U-bolts to get them off. To get the right U-bolts, you may need the axle tube diameter, and the U-bolt's overall length.

Old leaf springs can sag over time, and they can also snap off if they are deeply rusted. Good idea to replace them.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The springs should have an arc in them, and you stated yours are almost flat. If they have flattened, as the arc collapsed, the spring would have increased in length. It appears to me from what you have posted, that new springs are a very good idea. A good utility trailer repair shop or welding shop would be my choice if I was looking for someone to do the job. I'm thinking the 26 inch springs are what you need. One end of the spring is attached to a fixed point on the frame, and the other end is attached to a hinged shackle to allow the spring to move. Do you have enough movement in the hinge available to use the 26inch spring?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Spray all of your bolts, nuts, hangers, center pins anything that moves or pivots heavily with wrench eze or similar product a couple three days in a row. Then tap them solidly with a hammer up and down the contact points and if they are going to come apart that should help. A steady thumping with an air impact wrench not set so high as to twist the bolt or pin off but to loosen the fastener when the time comes can help too.
Soak them good
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Cathy, I did this job on my 1973 Hunter Compact II and it was very satisfying. I would be pleased to share with you my step-by-step notes and the many pictures I took. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will make all that available to you when you are ready.

Brian
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Name: Cathie
Trailer: New owner of a 73 Hunter compact ll
California
Thanks so much. The springs will be the next project after the final coats of paint! Going on as soon as the weather cooperates. You tube is good but personal pics and experience is definitely better.

I’ve sprayed with WD40, let is soak and tapped with a hammer and they feel like there’s is movement. I am reaching out to a friend with more powerful power tools aka an impact wrench to enlist assistance for the install.

still working on ordering and making sure they are going to fit.

Thanks for the advice and the confidence that this can be a DIY project. ��
Cathie Sadler-Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I broke a center spring on a large fold down once. Discovered it the day before we left on vacation and changed it out in time to leave when planned. Got a replacement leaf at my local suspension shop. You can do it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote