Anyone have problem with sway in a lil snoozy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

Name: Shane
Trailer: Coleman
NY
Anyone have problem with sway in a lil snoozy?

We are wanting to buy a lil snoozy and was just curious if anyone had a problem with sway while towing?
Goldwing ny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have not heard any sway reports about Snoozys. The most important factor with dangerous sway is hitch weight, which should always be 10-15% of total trailer weight. If you do not have at least 10% on a Snoozy's hitch, I would say you've loaded it with gear incorrectly... too much behind the axle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I would think dragging that incredibly long extension cord behind the trailer would alleviate sway.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Absolutely no sway over 40,000 miles under all kinds of conditions like down long mountain passes, high winds from all directions, passing and being passed, and the most scary time when we crested a mountain road in Wyoming to see a female moose come out into our lane and then change direction to trot down the middle of the road. We stood on the brakes and did evasive maneuvers..... no sway...... love those surge disc brakes!
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

NY
Thanks I figured it wasn't a big problem.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:29 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
uncontrollable sway is something trailers pullers should be aware of. There are many factors besides tongue weight. Every trailer will go into uncontrolled sway at some speed. The trick is keep that speed higher than you drive. Many of us have that the 60%/40% rule keep the speed higher than 60 mph. 60% of the weight in front of the axle and 40% behind the axle.
Some people seem to think that if you add weight to rear you can off set that by adding weight to the tongue. The pendulum factor doesn't change and the pendulum effect is one of factors that causes uncontrollable sway.
As I mentioned above speed is an important factor. Most trailer tires sold in the US have a 65 mph limit embedded in the side wall and along with the max tire pressure, that's cold pressure measured first thing in the morning.
I think most trailer manufacturers are well of sway and what causes it.
The word is be safe.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:42 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We stood on the brakes and did evasive maneuvers..... no sway...... love those surge disc brakes!
It's not hard braking that brings on sway and surge brakes are no more likely to help with sway than electric brakes, possibly less likely. At least with electric brakes you can apply them independently of the TV brakes, if sway develops, and cure it. And you can easily adjust the ratio between the trailer brakes and the TV brakes to match them perfectly. Surge brakes are fine, but they are foremost a very simple solution for having brakes without having to alter the TV, And they are on boats because boat trailers get backed into the water every time they are used, which would wreck electric brakes. Lil Snoozy was very creative when they decided to put their fiberglass body on a galvanized boat trailer. Smart.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:46 AM   #8

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I would think dragging that incredibly long extension cord behind the trailer would alleviate sway.
Just think of the advantages! You could run the air conditioner while on the highway and not worry about sway But, oh the havoc behind you!
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #9

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Any trailer will sway if it is not properly loaded and the hitch is not properly leveled.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
uncontrollable sway is something trailers pullers should be aware of. There are many factors besides tongue weight. Every trailer will go into uncontrolled sway at some speed. The trick is keep that speed higher than you drive. Many of us have that the 60%/40% rule keep the speed higher than 60 mph. 60% of the weight in front of the axle and 40% behind the axle.
Some people seem to think that if you add weight to rear you can off set that by adding weight to the tongue. The pendulum factor doesn't change and the pendulum effect is one of factors that causes uncontrollable sway.
As I mentioned above speed is an important factor. Most trailer tires sold in the US have a 65 mph limit embedded in the side wall and along with the max tire pressure, that's cold pressure measured first thing in the morning.
I think most trailer manufacturers are well of sway and what causes it.
The word is be safe.
Well, I suppose technically you're correct about the "many factors." Like a much longer trailer, or an unusually short wheelbase on the tow vehicle, or inappropriate tires or tire inflation. Yet the hitch weight would be, by far, the most significant factor for a trailer the Snoozy's size.

I must point out, however, that your tire speed rating statement ("Most trailer tires sold...") may not be true any longer. When I go to the tire store for new trailer tires, the ones they now stock are 75 mph or higher... a most welcome development for me since I am often in a hurry while towing my Hauley.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
Any trailer will sway if it is not properly loaded and the hitch is not properly leveled.
Now it all makes sense! Just yesterday I went out to the garage and my trailer was busy swaying away. Some gear had been unloaded from the front and the nose was a little high on the jack.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Don't forget about looseness at the hitch ball.
I think someone mentioned that the Lil Snoozy uses a boat trailer frame, with the axle farther back. That longer wheel base is a big factor in avoiding sway.
As such, I would expect it to have more than 10-15% of its total weight on the hitch.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Now it all makes sense! Just yesterday I went out to the garage and my trailer was busy swaying away. Some gear had been unloaded from the front and the nose was a little high on the jack.
I can think of several reasons a parked trailer might be swaying... but I won't mention them here.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #14

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have towed ours for 24,000 miles with no sway. We normally drive 60-75 MPH. I ran it up to 90 one time to test for sway.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #15

Smith Valley, Nevada
Only 90?

I wonder how that would have turned out for anyone else in the vicinity, if the test revealed a problem?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #16

North Carolina
Registry
Your just jealous. Jesting aside, there was no one around and my tires are rated for 100. You can have something go wrong at 55 to.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Jesting aside, there was no one around and my tires are rated for 100.
Rated for 100.....kind of made me think of all the times as a dumb teenager, that I had my car over 100. No idea if the tires were speed rated back then. Kind of doubt it but there wasn't any sway as I was hauling something other than a TT .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've done something of the kind, too. Not 90 mph, but 75 mph, and my tires were only rated to 65 mph. It was just a test for a brief time, and the tires were in good condition and pressure recently checked. The rating relates to the tire's ability to withstand the heat build-up that occurs during sustained driving at speed.

I gradually accelerated from 55 mph in 5 mph increments. At each increment I generated a little tail wag to see how the trailer would respond. There were no other cars nearby, and my hand was near the brake controller if there was any tendency toward undamped sway. There was none; the Scamp came right back in line.

I stopped at 75 because (1) it was the speed limit, and (2) it is well above my maximum normal towing speed. I was something I did to evaluate whether I wanted to continue to carry two bicycles on the back of my Scamp, having read the many warnings on this great forum. Having satisfied myself that my set-up was stable up to 75 mph, I returned to my usual 62-65 mph.

Three main equipment-related factors affect stability: loading, attitude, and vehicle geometry. Beyond equipment, stability is also affected by speed and environmental conditions.

For loading you want weight low and near the axle, with enough forward bias to achieve a tongue weight of 10-15% of the total trailer weight. Weight on the back of a trailer, even if balanced by weight forward, is not ideal, which is why I wanted to make my test. With the Lil Snoozy, the main storage compartment is forward under the main bed, which is good for stability. The water tank is also just forward of the axle, also good.

Attitude should be level or slightly tongue down for a single axle trailer (level or slightly tongue up for a twin axle). That's easy to correct with the right ball mount. The Lil Snoozy's shape likely makes it less sensitive to small changes in attitude.

Vehicle geometry is more complex. On the trailer side, a longer ball-to-axle length improves stability. On the tow vehicle side a shorter ball-to-rear-axle distance and a longer wheelbase are good for stability. Every time you make a steering correction, the ball moves slightly in the opposite direction. A long rear overhang on a vehicle combined with a short wheelbase magnifies the effect. Most people tow their Lil Snoozy with a pick-up or larger SUV, which generally makes for a very stable combination from a geometry perspective.

I have not read a single report of unusual sway involving a Lil Snoozy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #19

North Carolina
Registry
Our tow vehicle is a Ford Expedition, regular length. It makes for a very stable combination. Last year going through Montana, SD, and Nebraska we ran at 75 all day with no problems. I pulled the Snoozy the first year with my Ranger. It was also very stable.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #20

NY
Thanks everyone for the replies. We hopefully will put our deposit on a snoozy this summer.

Tags
lil snoozy