Anyone keep their scamp hooked to the truck while camping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Wisconsin
Anyone keep their scamp hooked to the truck while camping?

We just arrived and it seemed like the capmer was more stable and level while hooked to the teuck so I left it that way..Is this the norm or weird? Guess the ipad doesnt have a flash lol.
Attached Thumbnails
image5.jpg  
Mcmarkrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
When on the road with the 5er I do that a lot. Just unplug the trailer connector from your tow vehicle.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
We just arrived and it seemed like the capmer was more stable and level while hooked to the truck so I left it that way..Is this the norm or weird? Guess the ipad doesnt have a flash lol.
Whenever we "overnight" in transit, we use the trailer, hooked to the TV without any other support. It works fine.
It is not, however, as stable as when set-up with stabilizers and the tongue jack.
I can see how the TV attachment could add a little stability even with the trailer set-up and level, but that will often prove impractical.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Some doz and dozn't. I do at times. If I'm just sleeping like in a rest area I leave the truck and trailer connected. In a campground I usually disconnect the trailer. It's easier to access the stuff in the back of the truck with the tongue out of the way.

Others find it too difficult to get hooked back up. It's up to you. However once you get rear stabilizers you'll probably want to unhook.

Once you get rear stabilizers the set up is really pretty easy.
First make sure you're level side to side, in my case I use a BAL Wheel Leveler, you can use wood blocks, or plastic "legos" to get the trailer level side to side.
Then I disconnect from the tow,
Lower the tongue jack until the trailer is a bit nose low, about 1/2 a bubble.
The deploy the stabilizers on the rear making sure each stabilizer's foot is in contact with ground, or pad surface. Back to the front and raise the tongue with the tongue jack until the trailer is level.
A level trailer becomes important when you're using the refrigerator, most RV fridges want to be level. Once level I light the fridge and pull out a chair, relax an look around at what ever there is to see from the comforts of my camping chair.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Thanx all..i did bring a jack for the back on one side and a plastic milk crate for the other ..also have the front jack down so super stable at present..will take a few pics in morning..happy holidays all
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I camp connected a lot and, as a result, I installed a solenoid type battery isolator in the charging line so that I don't have to unplug the 7 pin connector when stopped.
Total cost is less than $30 and it takes less than 30 minutes to install. This has several benefits:

1. You can't run down the TV's battery.
2. You won't fergit to reconnect and drive off with no stop and turn lights
3. You won't drive off with the 7 pin plug dragging on the ground for about 16 miles, at which time it will be ground off to a bare wire.

NOTE: This is for a solenoid type isolator, not a solid state isolator. A nd a starter solenoid isn't the same thing either, they will burn out when used as a battery isolator.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I camp connected a lot and, as a result, I installed a solenoid type battery isolator in the charging line so that I don't have to unplug the 7 pin connector when stopped.
Total cost is less than $30 and it takes less than 30 minutes to install. This has several benefits:

3. You won't drive off with the 7 pin plug dragging on the ground for about 16 miles, at which time it will be ground off to a bare wire.

NOTE: This is for a solenoid type isolator, not a solid state isolator. A nd a starter solenoid isn't the same thing either, they will burn out when used as a battery isolator.
Can you expand with pics or explanations..love the idea but have no ideawhat and how it works lol
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Depending on tow vehicle, some have them installed from the factory, mine does.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

I use a 30A switch with an LED, as an isolator. Works fine and can be turned on or off even while moving.
The only drawback is that it is like an old fashioned headlight switch or ignition ...you have remember to operate it manually!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Last weekend I think I this was the problem. I was hooked up most of the weekend and didnt unhook the the 7pin connector and when I went to start my Rav4 I need a jump...been fine since. The battery is 5yo but they usually go for 6 before dying.

I often times stay connected if I dont have to drive anywhere and not told I have to disconect...mostly out of lazyness lol. I still have yet to use the rear stabilizers. When I do disconect, I have 2 jackstands I put out under the frame near the tongue so the tongue jack isnt supporting all the weight. Seems stable to me. I am guessing that since the large dinette is down full time and I am sleeping really close to the axle Im not putting enough weigh farther back to lift the tongue. Had that happen once with my lil home built gypsy vardo though lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My 19' scamp will get light in the back with 40 gallons freshwater and a person or two in the back. I just use regular jackstands for now. I'm going to put a bal dual rear stabilizer setup on it, but I'm waiting until I get the doubled up frame rail under the back.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We stay connected to the trailer on occasion. Though our tow vehicle charge wire, like Floyd's, has a switch in series, we always disconnect the 7 pin connector. As well we put the trailer jack down.

In my opinion even though you're still hooked up you should check your trailer connections before hitting the road again. We go through our traditional series of checks whether we stay connected to the tow vehicle or not.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Unless I'm planning to use the tow vehicle to get somewhere else while stopped, or need to unhook to level the trailer, I rarely unhook for one night stops. I do have a disconnect relay between the vehicle & trailer...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I use the BAL leveler even when connected if its not close to level. I will disconnect the umbilical cord though from now on. I was running my fantastic fan nonstop so it must have been pulling from my TV battery

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #15

Solenoid Battery Isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
Can you expand with pics or explanations..love the idea but have no ideawhat and how it works lol
For trailer use it really very simple. Heres is a typical solenoid type isolator:

Tow Ready Battery Isolation Solenoid Tow Ready Accessories and Parts TR118665

You cut the charge line from the battery or fuse going to the trailer and connect the two wire ends to the two large connectors. You then connect the smaller terminal to something that is energized only when the ignition key is on. I use the power line to the windshield wiper motor. If you get an isloator with two small terminals, the extra one is connected to a ground point.

When you turn the key ON the solenoid will click ON and close the circuit to the charging line.

Remember: DO NOT use a starter solenoid for this, they are not designed for long term ON cycles and can fail. RV isolators are designed for long ON times.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	dd_electrical_03.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	63917
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I wired mine exactly as Kevin's diagram above shows. The toggle switch allows me to shut it off if I don't want it for some reason.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
NOTE: This is for a solenoid type isolator, not a solid state isolator.
I have solid state isolators installed in my tow vehicle. I had Camping World do the Charge line installation for me at the same time they installed the brake controller.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0507.jpg   100_0508.jpg  

Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The factory tow package on Dakota has the charge line going from the fuse block, through a 30 amp fuse, directly to the 7 pin connector. No solenoid, no isolator.
Guess they didn't figure they were needed.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #20

Not Needed

Yep, not needed as long as you remember to unplug and replug the trailer connector every time I guess..... As long as the charging line is hot when the key is OFF you might want to consider an isolator.....

BTW: GM products do the same thing, but that still doesnt make it good idea.

Tags
scamp