Anyone tow with a Rendezvous? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Fred's average Scamp 13 weighs over 1,700 pounds. And his lightest Boler 17 was just under 2,600 pounds. I don't know what 17 post #3 is referring to that weights under 2,200 pounds. I pay no attention to dry weights, even as comparators.

Fred's chart is invaluable as is Norm's rig combo chart.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Hi Mark.. my neighbor had a Ren a few years ago and she asked me the same question. How would it be as a TV. I did the online research and could only find one Rev towing review, here..... Can-Am RV :: Buick Rendezvous towing 25 Airstream

Apparently the Ren is a very capable TV. Note the Buick Enclave is much better and that would be my choice if I were to go domestic.

The Acura could to the job too and a very nice reliable high end ride.

PS... our TV an Infiniti G35 also uses a high performance 3.5 V6, which is similar to the Acura's 3,5. Infinity recommends premium fuel but when not towing we found the mid grade works fine with no ill effects. My cousin drives a Nissan 350Z coupe and he has been using regular fuel, no problem.

There are a number of articles that talk about the use of different fuel grades. The net is that the modern engines adjust themselves when they detect regular fuel and all out performance is reduced if you put the pedal to the metal but otherwise for everyday driving, works fine.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
If you know a good transmission mechanic, talk to them about towing and ask for vehicle recommendations; when our Aztek was in getting transmission work, our mechanic / guru advised us that although cars / trucks are rated to tow specific amounts, they are not all equal, and although the towing specs look good on paper, the vehicle may not tow well in at all due to the way the transmission is built. Thats how we found out that although the Aztek is rated to tow 3500, it's not the same as another vehicle rated to tow 3500. I don't remember everything he said (he really was a transmission geek). But part of the conversation was a list of vehicles that he recommended as tow vehicles.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #18
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
.... our mechanic / guru advised us that although cars / trucks are rated to tow specific amounts, they are not all equal, and although the towing specs look good on paper, the vehicle may not tow well in at all due to the way the transmission is built.
QUOTE OF THE DAY!

So true..... Thnxs for posting Sheryl.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
tow vehicle

We had the Honda Pilot 3.5 v-6 same as the older MDX Acura The Pilot could tow 4500lb where the MDX could tow 5000lb .The MDX is a fine tow vehicle and any of the eggs it would be quite good .
Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I would imagine if you're purchasing a General Motors V6, no matter the umbrella brand, you are getting the same transmission in a model year whether it's a Pontiac or Buick. Is this true?

I understand that V6 Hondas, Odyssey and Pilot for example use the same engine and transmission.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #21
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I would imagine if you're purchasing a General Motors V6, no matter the umbrella brand, you are getting the same transmission in a model year whether it's a Pontiac or Buick. Is this true?

I understand that V6 Hondas, Odyssey and Pilot for example use the same engine and transmission.
Hey Norm...

The older Ren used the 4T65 E 4 speed auto tranny and the newer Enclave uses a much better 6T65 6 speed auto tranny.

A guy on another forum tows a large trailer with an Enclave and has been towing since the early 70's with a couple of dozen different tow vehicles, everything from Suburbans and pick ups to sedans and vans. He feels this is the best tow vehicle he has used.

From his experience it appears the new 6 speed is very robust and would be great for the average glass egg.

I believe you are right norm. GM swapped parts from one name plate to another.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #22

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Let me just weigh in on the Enclave. We bought a used 2007 Acadia (same as Enclave/Traverse). It towed like a dream (and I've read others towing airstreams with them; capacity is ~4500lbs) and was super roomy. We towed the camper with it from Georgia to South Dakota and back with us the kids and dogs and I was glad we had it for that trip. Unfortunately, I had to ditch it after owning it for little over a year. Tranny died the week we bought it. It had a lot of other mechanical issues and some leaks (rain) that we could never figure out or stop. All this was with ~75k miles on it. I read a lot later about how bad the first generation was. So my recommendation is to stay away from 2007-2009. I have heard the 2010 and newer are better. I ditched mine before I'd had it for 2yrs and we have moved on to a Kia Sorento which is working well and towed well to the beach last year. Will be testing it in the mountains in April to see how it does.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #23
MC1

Ontario
Sean, not surprised to read your negative post regarding the 1st gen Enclaves.

From 15 years of reading RV towing forums I have learned that most (but not all) of the best tow vehicles (as far as handling and performance goes) are not rated highly when it comes to reliability and cost of ownership.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #24

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Wayne,

We loved the way it drove and looked. It was super roomy and comfortable. It just came down to quality issues really for us. I really wanted it to work out, but finally had to ditch it. I may try a newer model later on when the Kia dies but I like to buy a vehicle for 10yrs. Have a 99 Camry (220k) and an 01 Tribute with (215k)...so it really hurt to ditch a car before 100k.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: No Fiberglass Yet
Texas
Hey Mark J, It sounds like you may have decided to keep looking and that may be a good decission. I have a 2003 Rendezvous CXL and will be the first to admit it is a very comfortable, stable and versital vehicle. Reliability not so much. It was back to the dealer repeatedly within the first 6 months of ownership; shop foreman finally told me GM had spent over $4,000 trying to satisfy me; I told him I spent over $25,000 with GM and I was still not satisfied. Eventually got most issues resolved, but will probably not buy another GM vehicle. Regarding towing, I towed a 1977 Argosy Minuet (painted Airstream - 19 ft) from Florida to Houston with no porblem. I stopped and weighed at a truck stop and the Minuet was about 2,800 lb. It probably has a larger frontal area than most eggs but close in weight. I towed in "3" not "D" so did not use overdrive. Milage at 60-65 MPH was only about 13.0 mpg. Buick was rather underpowered even at higher revs. Would slow down going up freeway overpass. Trip from Florida to Houston is pretty flat! A year latter on road trip to southern California the transmission went out, vehicle had about 85k. If I had had my title I may have traded it as opposed to repair it, but replaced the tranny and the vehicle now has about 120k. It is a comfortable road trip car but I have had several costly repairs. Only the tranny put me down. It did not have trailer towing package but I did add class 3 hitch, 7 pin harness and break controler. Obviously needed a transmission cooler too! The mechanic told me the transmission was the same used in Volvos (I never verified that) and they were very weak. Used ones are cheap for a reason, kind Land Rovers. I'd keep looking.Goood luck!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It's unfortunate that the "new Designs" team at GM just can't seem to learn from past mistakes and successes.

In the opposite direction as Bob B. above, I bought a new 2003 GMC Sonoma pick-up that I towed 13 footers of all shape with. After 10 years & 150,000+ miles I sold it to buy another 2003, this time a Chevy Blazer 2 dr with ultra low miles and complete service records.

In ten+ years here is 99% of the repair bills: 2003 GMC Sonoma: Turn Signal Switch (warrantee) TPI sensor $16, a/c compressor $400 parts & labor. 2003 S10 Blazer: Heater core $650.00, parts and lots of labor.

Sooo as one can guess, I have a positive view of the proven vehicles GM offers, but not so much for the "NEW", that they have never been very good at, at least foir the first few years.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #27

Trailer: No Fiberglass Yet
Texas
Hey Bob M. glad you have had good luck with GM. I also have in the past had great luck with GM: even a '75 Cosworth Vega that was a great car, followed by my '86 El Camino. Wish I still had both of them. When I bought the Rendezvous I went in to buy a Safari van with the 4.3 V-6. Rendezvous was "new and improved" and rated much better mpg. Sure wish I had bought that little van instead - I'm pretty sure I would still be a happy GM camper. Unfortunately, I think GM was taken over by the bean counters...
Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #28

I have a 04 jeep grand Cherokee overland. I'm new to towing a pop up camper. When towing in town or on the highway do I keep the over drive turned off? I have been told so many things I'm confused. I just don't want to tear up the jeep when my wife and I head to savannah from North Carolina.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV