Anyone Tow With A Toyota Venza?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Anyone Tow With A Toyota Venza??

Hiya Fiberglassers!

Anybody out there tow with a Toyota Venza? We are looking for our first "egg" and will be pulling it with a 2010 Venza with NO tow package. I was wondering how well they do with a 13' or 16' fiberglass ornament hanging off the back??

Side Note: we just got shiny brochures on the Casita, and I'm in overdrive to find our future "egg", so if anyone has any leads on a newer (2000+)13' or 16' Egg Camper, Parkliner, Lil Snoozy, or Casita that doesn't require the lottery winnings to purchase (i.e. $10-$15k) just let me know... THANKS!!!
LanNAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanNAnn View Post
We are looking for our first "egg" and will be pulling it with a 2010 Venza with NO tow package.
That's an interesting choice. Toyota's towing preparation package - which was standard in Canada for my Sienna but may be optional for other models and locations - is critical for drivetrain reliability. If you do not have the package, and do not add equivalent capability such as engine or transmission cooling (details depend on model and year), your reliable towing capacity can be severely reduced.

I suggest a careful reading of the owner's manual; we can assist with interpretation of what it says if it is not clear.

Also, to put people's experience in proper context, it would make sense to share which engine this Venza has (it comes with a 2.7 L 4-cylinder or a 3.5 L 6-cylinder), because performance and fuel economy both depend on the engine (but handling, stability, braking, etc do not). Front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive (AWD) could be important, too, for handling and traction while towing.

The V6 engine is the 2GR-FE; in other Toyota models with this engine the towing preparation package includes an engine oil cooler which would be very expensive to add afterwards. Properly prepared, this engine has proven very capable for trailer towing in the Sienna (which is heavier than a Venza); even my older and less powerful Sienna handles our 3000 pound (loaded weight) 17-foot Boler well. Sienna experience is relevant only to the engine (and in some cases transmission), since the Sienna and Venza are different sizes and have different rear suspensions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I used to tow a 13 foot Scamp with a Scion xD, which is basically a rebodied Toyota Yaris with the 1.8 liter engine from a Corolla. It towed fine, and oil analysis showed no unusual wear. In fact, with RedLine oils, I showed less wear at 10,000 miles than the average Corolla showed at 5,000 miles.

Yes, I was towing OVER the US spec. This may be illegal, immoral, or worse. I'm sure others will chime in and agree with that.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi Ann

Many Toyota's including the Camry and Sienna have proven thenselves as long term TV's. Your Venza uses many parts from those vehicles. One would suspect your 4,000lb Venza will make a great TV assuming it is set up correctly. Best of luck.

PS. Back in 86 I bought a new Toy Camry. Very good reliable car.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote