Anyone tow with the Nissan NV Passenger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Anyone tow with the Nissan NV Passenger

Been looking at the NV passenger vans, I currently have a suburban, but if I get a new TV I'm thinking of going bigger for cheaper. My kids are in travel ball and I love the burb, but just seems like a lot of money for the newer ones. The only thing I don't like is that the NV are rear wheel vs 4 wheel. Anyone have advise or seen one of these tow?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
Been looking at the NV passenger vans, I currently have a suburban, but if I get a new TV I'm thinking of going bigger for cheaper. My kids are in travel ball and I love the burb, but just seems like a lot of money for the newer ones. The only thing I don't like is that the NV are rear wheel vs 4 wheel. Anyone have advise or seen one of these tow?
I'm in Vermont. I have a 4 wd pickup. I don't drive it in the winter, it's the tow. That said I would never buy a 2 wd vehicle because selling it would be very difficult and costly. I can't imagine things would be much different in Michigan. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I had to Google "NV Van" and came up with Nissan, is this correct? If so, my update on the title is correct.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
Rear wheel drive trucks have done the vast majority of truck work and towing for generations. Even today they are often rated to tow more than their 4wd counterparts. A limited sllp differential is a nice choice for any rear drive tow vehicle.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It should be a competent tug. But all wheel drive is so handy for slick road driving. I guess it is a question of priorities, and sometimes one must compromise.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
4wheel drive f/w drive all wheel drive

I cant begin to count the rigs with the 4wheel drives, all wheel drives front wheel drives I have seen in ditches on our interstates as soon as we get some ice.

I have been on ice pack driving safely and one of these rigs will pass later you see them in the ditch. No doubt they help but it helps build over confidence too!

The greatest thing to me was radial tires I live on 2m of gravel and unless there is a huge snowfall I get out everytime with rear wheel drive it can be solid ice I still make it!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
....I live on 2m of gravel and unless there is a huge snowfall I get out everytime with rear wheel drive it can be solid ice I still make it!

bob
So Bob, do you need to gun it before crossing this 2 metres of gravel, or do the tires have enough traction to make it at regular speeds?

Just kidding of course, I knew you meant 2 mi. Just being a Canucklehead.

Back on topic. My truck is in 4x4 whenever there is snow on the ground, because in 2WD, there is just not enough traction on the rear axle. I do use snow tires in the winter, a marked improvement on traction and handling.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I have been on ice pack driving safely and one of these rigs will pass later you see them in the ditch. No doubt they help but it helps build over confidence too!
Yes, there are generally always folks with 4WD and AWD in the ditch. AWD and 4WD help the "go", but they don't help the "no", meaning the braking. They aren't quite at the level of imparting super-powers to folks who don't have the requisite driving skills, but they are working on it, what with self-driving cars and all...

Speaking of those drivers in the ditch, I used to leave our neighborhood for work in the early morning via an off-camber curve. When we had snow or ice, there were always one or two citizens waving their arms and directing us as to how they thought we should navigate that particular stretch. It took some time before I realized these were the people who had driven themselves into the ditch and promptly took it upon themselves to help guide us...

As far as Crystal's question goes, the Nissan NVs are not as nicely outfitted with amenities as a Suburban can be. That probably has a lot to do with the cost difference. I looked into the newer vans as I considered ways to make our Casita work for us and the general theme I found was that they tend to be noisier, less posh tradesman's vehicles. The passenger van versions just add a thin veneer of "airport shuttle", but don't have the same sound proofing or nearly the same degree of attractive additional features or trimmings. If that would serve, then with 6,200 to 8,690 lb tow ratings and payload ratings of 2,500 lbs and up, they might be a viable choice.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have seen one or two members towing with NV vans, but vans in general are a less popular vehicle choice. A fairly high percentage of empty nesters among regular contributors to the forum may have something to do with it.

You can't beat full-size vans for moving people at a reasonable cost, and most have decent towing capacity as well. The biggest drawback in my mind is a lack of seating comfort in the rear passenger seats: lack of thigh support, limited legroom, thin padding, and non-adjustable backrest angle.

I'd look into reliability as well.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Perhaps the biggest safety innovation since the seat belt was stability control. It is now standard on the vast majority of vehicles. For rear wheel drive vehicles like pickups and Sprinters, when there is less weight in back, the ability of stability control to literally snap a fish tailing rear end back into line is amazing. Of course don't be over confident.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Exclamation Researching.....

Folks.....

Not disagreeing with any immediate prior comments, but I think one needs to fully address the tow capacity of the prospective TV as it relates to the trailer one has or anticipates getting. And there are some uncommon but attractive options out there these days.

Example....how about an SUV with most modern upgrades, a 5000 lb. tow rating, and a 100,000 mile warranty on the entire power train. And if certified used.....the balance of the miles remaining to the 100,000 mile point? That's a Hyundai Santa Fe V6 AWD. I've put 15,000 miles on mine since buying it used....gone coast to coast and back....and am quite satisfied.

Just because an optional tow isn't on the most popular list doesn't mean it should be discounted. It's about the features, the capacity, the warranty...no matter what brand. Doing one's homework is about some basic search for facts...not just a poll of popularity.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

Missouri
mike what do you think about that new line of bareboned vans gm, ford and Chrysler have came out with. I think they have 3 sizes and one even fits in a garage doesn't Mercedes even have one?

bob
Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
mike what do you think about that new line of bareboned vans gm, ford and Chrysler have came out with. I think they have 3 sizes and one even fits in a garage doesn't Mercedes even have one?
bob
Well, I didn't buy one! Actually, I don't have anything against them, they just didn't fit my current needs.

I used to run full-sized vans; I had several Dodges. I expect the new ones are improvements over the old ones; at least I hope so! Folks that have the diesel Sprinters sure seem to like them a lot.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...es-chicken-tax

Personally, I'm with Frank, I think the Hyundai Santa Fe looks like it has a lot going for it. It was on my shortlist when I bought a used Q5 to tow the Casita.

The Q5 had a 4,400 lb rating and pulled a ~3,000 lb Casita without a WDH and it never gave me a moment's worry or grief, even over steep grades and in high winds. I "think" the Santa Fe might offer a similar experience, but that's just based on reviews and the tow rating; I haven't actually had any experience towing with one.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:35 AM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The Subaru Brat with two back seats was a response to the 25% "chicken tax" Toyota's original Four Runner in 1984, was actually a pick up truck with a removable shell and a back seat. Both would have avoided the Chicken Tax on light trucks. Mike links to it in the preceding post about Mercedes' efforts.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Nissan NV is assembled in Mississippi, and I'm guessing it has a fairly high North American part content. That, along with its simple, old-school, body-on-frame design, helps keep the cost down. The downside is that it doesn't have the efficiency of some of the newer offerings from Mercedes, Ford, and others.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #16

Missouri
cars

isn't the huyndai made by kai?

bob