Anyone towing Casita w/v-6 4runner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Name: c
Trailer: shopping
Virginia
Anyone towing Casita w/v-6 4runner

Looking for advice on towing 2010 Casita Spirit 13' with 2010 4runner v-6. Do I need weight distribution hitch or just anti sway bar and does it need to be in 4 wheel drive or is two wheel fine when not doing hills up or down?
pedasisolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedasisolja View Post
Looking for advice on towing 2010 Casita Spirit 13' with 2010 4runner v-6. Do I need weight distribution hitch or just anti sway bar and does it need to be in 4 wheel drive or is two wheel fine when not doing hills up or down?
It should be fine, no weight distributing hitch, no 4 wheel drive. On a steep gravel hill you might need 4WD - like a rustic campsite, but never for just pulling it down the road. An antisway bar is not mandatory, but can't hurt.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
It won't know the 13 is there. I have trouble imagining that you'll need either WDH or sway control. I've found uses for 4WD, particularly low four for hitching up on a steep driveway. I certainly hope you don't think that part time 4WD is the equivalent of AWD. Certainly not for use on dry pavement. The Achilles heel on a number of sport utility vehicles is soft rear suspension. In the case of the 13, tongue weight is likely low enuf that suspension sag on the Runner won't be a problem.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

Virginia
Thomas G., really appreaciate u taking time to reply..really looking forward to getting the Casita on the road
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
It won't know the 13 is there. I have trouble imagining that you'll need either WDH or sway control. I've found uses for 4WD, particularly low four for hitching up on a steep driveway. I certainly hope you don't think that part time 4WD is the equivalent of AWD. Certainly not for use on dry pavement. The Achilles heel on a number of sport utility vehicles is soft rear suspension. In the case of the 13, tongue weight is likely low enuf that suspension sag on the Runner won't be a problem.

jack
Thanks Jack..appreaciate the advice
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #6

Delaware
Is there a 13' Spirit model? There is a 13 Patriot.

jack
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Virginia
Yep, when I checked NADA I didn't find it but the layout and options match up..the paperwork said Spirit Deluxe. I'd only seen them in 16/17 prior to finding this one. It's a 2010.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #8

Name: Craig
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Montana
I drive a 2007 4Runner with a 4.0L V6. Picked up our new 17'SD from the factory last May and it pulled just fine. We bought the anti-sway bar from Casita but do not use a WDH. The only time power was a concern was on steep hills bucking a VERY strong headwind in Wyoming. Yes, you will slow down a little on steep mountain passes (I live in Montana), but never to the point of "are we going to make it (or break it)?!?" I'm perfectly content with the 4Runner for towing. I did have a transmission cooler installed... better safe than sorry!
RockyMTns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #9

Virginia
Thanks..just picked up our 2010 Spirit Dx from just outside of Richmond VA..we live 35 miles south of DC in Manassas VA. The 4runner did well as you mentioned with anti sway bar only. Thanks for th advice and all the others who replied to my thread as well.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
And it's really a 13? Note: the measurement includes the frame, from back bumper to the hitch in the front. It's a little confusing because the "box" on a 16 is about 13 ft. But some years ago the way to measure travel trailers was standardized to include the frame.

Congrats on your new to you Casita!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #11

Delaware
Mary is right of course that the convention in trailer length designation is measurement bumper to coupler. We tow our Burro (17' 8" overall) w/ an 06 4L 6cyl. without problems. Pleased to hear you're happy with whichever combination you have.

jack
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #12

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
And it's really a 13? Note: the measurement includes the frame, from back bumper to the hitch in the front. It's a little confusing because the "box" on a 16 is about 13 ft. But some years ago the way to measure travel trailers was standardized to include the frame.

Congrats on your new to you Casita!
Your right..did the measurments a few days after posting the info..it's a Spirit DX 17, thanks for the reply

Tags
casita