Anyone Towing using a Mazda 6 sedan? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post
Just curious, what small 13' is going to be easier to find on the West coast, primarily the Pacific NW? Is there more than one kind over here than elsewhere?
Scamps, Bolers and 1970s Trilliums. Make yourself familiar with the names of brands on the home page... you never know when one will pop up and you'll want to go look!

Good luck on the egg hunt
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamps, Bolers and 1970s Trilliums. Make yourself familiar with the names of brands on the home page... you never know when one will pop up and you'll want to go look!

Good luck on the egg hunt
Don't forget to check Canada, too, if you are the PNW.
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #17
Member
 
dlt123me's Avatar
 
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 29 foot
Oregon
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Don't forget to check Canada, too, if you are the PNW.
How does one buy from Canada? Are there any tariffs, taxes, duties or border or extra fees to buy there and bring into the US?

How would the title change work? Would be any hassles trying to change the title from Canadian to US?

Just curious,
Dennis
__________________
dlt123me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Member
 
dlt123me's Avatar
 
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 29 foot
Oregon
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamps, Bolers and 1970s Trilliums. Make yourself familiar with the names of brands on the home page... you never know when one will pop up and you'll want to go look!

Good luck on the egg hunt
What about U-Hauls, are they an East coast trailer more so? I like the look of the U-Haul and would like to find one here...

Thanks for the suggestions and earlier sympathies.
Dennis
__________________
dlt123me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post
How does one buy from Canada? Are there any tariffs, taxes, duties or border or extra fees to buy there and bring into the US?

How would the title change work? Would be any hassles trying to change the title from Canadian to US?

Just curious,
Dennis

Do a Google site search here - lots of threads.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...n+canada&sa=Go
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post
What about U-Hauls, are they an East coast trailer more so? I like the look of the U-Haul and would like to find one here...

Thanks for the suggestions and earlier sympathies.
Dennis
UHauls seem to be all over the US, not so much in Canada. They were made in Ohio and Arizona. It is an excellent trailer in my unbiased opinion.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Posts: 2,006
Good day Dennis. Many of us are towing trailers with cars. Getting professional help (towing specialist) with the plan/setup is highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
infiniti Hitch 5544.jpg   Mirrors on G35.jpg  

__________________
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Posts: 2,006
Hi Dennis. Did you finally set up your Mazda for towing? How did it work out?
__________________
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Hi Dennis. Did you finally set up your Mazda for towing? How did it work out?
He hasn't been on since this past April. Maybe send a PM to him. Would be interesting to know how his camping season went.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Posts: 2,006
Thnxs Pam. I will try a PM.
__________________
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
Member
 
dlt123me's Avatar
 
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 29 foot
Oregon
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1
Hi Dennis... Wondering how you made out towing with your Mazda 6... Some of us on the forum are wondering.

thnxs, Wayne
Hi Wayne, after having a hitch put on the car, I've decided that I need a better TV. I have opted to sell my Mazda6. I have it running an ad now on Auto Trader.

Cars for Sale: 2007 Mazda MAZDA6 Grand Touring in Newberg, OR 97132: Sedan Details - 352171836 - AutoTrader.com

I initially thought about building a small Teardrop trailer, but after counting the cost of building one and the comfort level it would afford considering the cost, I decided it wasn't for me.

I am going to buy a Toyota 4 Runner and get a 20-24 foot travel trailer instead.

The car now has a hitch that has not been used. It will be fine for a small lightweight trailer, but nothing more.

Also, I didn't know anyone had posted in my thread or I would have responded sooner. I have it set up to send me an email when someone posts, but I never received any emails from here letting me know the thread was still alive. Sorry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly... I want to thank EVERYONE for all the excellent tips, suggestions and help I've received here. I did take your advice. I apologize for not getting back sooner to give the final episode in this story.

There are a lot of great people here and again, I thank you all for your help.

Dennis
__________________
dlt123me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Posts: 2,006
Thnxs for the update Dennis. Your Mazda is very nice. Just an hour ago we test drove a 2008 Mazda 6 GT with the 3.0. It is very similar to our Infiniti G35 but the Maz has less power. We did like the 6 speed auto though. Note we are towing a 23' with the G.

The 4 Runners have a great reputation for reliability but beware. I was at a towing seminar a few years ago and the speaker (who had set up many 4 Runners for towing) commented... "if you want to design a tow vehicle that has everything wrong for towing the 4 Runner is perfect".... food for thought.

Apparently switching to LT tires really helps and or using a high end Hensley or Pro Pride hitching system.

Some good info here that may help.... http://forums.trailerlife.com/Index....g/1/page/1.cfm
__________________
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #27
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post
Hi Wayne, after having a hitch put on the car, I've decided that I need a better TV. I have opted to sell my Mazda6. I have it running an ad now on Auto Trader.

Cars for Sale: 2007 Mazda MAZDA6 Grand Touring in Newberg, OR 97132: Sedan Details - 352171836 - AutoTrader.com

I initially thought about building a small Teardrop trailer, but after counting the cost of building one and the comfort level it would afford considering the cost, I decided it wasn't for me.

I am going to buy a Toyota 4 Runner and get a 20-24 foot travel trailer instead.

The car now has a hitch that has not been used. It will be fine for a small lightweight trailer, but nothing more.

Also, I didn't know anyone had posted in my thread or I would have responded sooner. I have it set up to send me an email when someone posts, but I never received any emails from here letting me know the thread was still alive. Sorry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly... I want to thank EVERYONE for all the excellent tips, suggestions and help I've received here. I did take your advice. I apologize for not getting back sooner to give the final episode in this story.

There are a lot of great people here and again, I thank you all for your help.

Dennis

Dennis, I hear that the Fiberglass Escape 21 footer is a great trailer. Good luck on your search.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #28
Member
 
dlt123me's Avatar
 
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 29 foot
Oregon
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
...

The 4 Runners have a great reputation for reliability but beware. I was at a towing seminar a few years ago and the speaker (who had set up many 4 Runners for towing) commented... "if you want to design a tow vehicle that has everything wrong for towing the 4 Runner is perfect".... food for thought.

Apparently switching to LT tires really helps and or using a high end Hensley or Pro Pride hitching system.

Some good info here that may help.... Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 2005 4Runner with V6 Engine
Well, I read the link and one guy mentioned the Sequoia, but from my research it doesn't have the pulling power of the 4Runner.

I was planning on getting the V8 rather than the V6 4Runner. Now after reading that thread, I'm wondering what I should now do.

I could get a Tundra V8, which would probably be better for a trailer, but I liked the idea of the 4Runner since it's a SUV. The truck seem limited unless you have a canopy and then it's not as manageable as the 4Runner.

What do others think? This will be my only vehicle, so I want to get one that doesn't have terrible gas mileage and is a good ride.

Man not sure what to do... I think I might have my car sold this Monday. I'll be without a car and if I ditch the 4Runner, I have to start looking again for another TV.

Decisions, Decisions.
Dennis
__________________

__________________
dlt123me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to towing :D JonE Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 3 07-13-2009 10:05 PM
Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute? Ron Stewart Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 11 06-23-2009 06:53 PM
1978 17' Boler For Sale (1999 Mazda B4000-SOLD) F.Bishop Classified Archives 11 07-17-2008 12:32 AM
Towing Legacy Posts Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 13 07-26-2003 05:43 PM
TOWING WITH A S-10 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.