Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #141

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin View Post
Did everything consider a Diesel engine for towing?
This is a popular topic in this forum, but it isn't about the 2013 Escape and once people get into the topic in general it would completely derail this thread. I suggest we stay on-topic.

There is no diesel offered in the Ford Escape in North America. The EcoBoost engines in the Escape, however, are as close to a typical modern diesel as any gas engine: like a typical diesel they are turbocharged to produce enough power from the desired size of engine at the desired engine operating speed. Like a diesel they inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber; that's inherently how a diesel works, but it is done in the EcoBoost and similar designs to allow both turbocharging and high compression ratio without preignition (knock) problems.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #142

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Class 4 is over 5000 pounds, and up to 10,000 pounds, gross trailer weight; I don't see why any trailer within the Escape's 3500 pound rating would need that.

Frank, you don't mention a weight-distributing hitch (WDH) but Daniel is using one (an Anderson No-Sway). Any commercially available WDH will require a 2" hitch receiver, which is usually a Class 3 (or higher) product. If the Escape only comes from the factory with a 1.25" receiver (which is likely) and a WDH is used, an aftermarket 2" receiver would be required.
I added sway control to my current trailer Brian, but understand I may well need a WDH. You can get a tow package with the ecoboost Escape, but from what I can see, Class II only. I have put lots of hitches on, that's not a problem. I need to take a closer look at these ecoboost Escapes and check some stuff out. I guess wiring a 7 pin on them isn't too difficult but that's another concern.

Camping this weekend, no time to look at vehicles. Off to see the kids weekend after this, no time then. Maybe in July we can get out and look!

Frank

Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #143

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Daniel, Did you get the factory tow package, and if so, what is included, besides a receiver?
I believe the tow package has trans cooler and differnt coil spring and 4-pin wire conector. Ford only rates the "tow package + 2.0" for 3500lb.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #144

Michigan
I wired the 7-pin conector my self. E-trailer.com has the complete wire kit around $62. The Escape has a unused factory plastic knock out plug behind the carpet, to the left and above the break pedal to route the wire to the controller. The controler will need to be mounted to the left side due to the escape has knee air bags.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #145

New York
This is Ford's trailer package guide for the Escape. Looks like you get a Class II hitch, 4 pin plug and sway control. I did not see any additional coolers or anything else, but maybe I missed something. They talk about tongue weight, exposed frontal area, and other relevant stuff.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...scape_oct1.pdf

Frank
Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #146

Michigan
This is what I have herd...For 2013 model, the cooler came with 2.0 tow package only. For 2014 out now, all 2.0 come with a cooler.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #147

New York
Daniel, I just noticed all the specs on the new 2014 Escape (hp, torque, tow capacity) are "achieved using 93-octane premium fuel". Are you using regular or hi-test, and what kind of average mileage are you getting towing, and not towing? Apparently there is a lot of variety in what folks are getting for mileage with these 2.0 ecoboost Escapes! Makes me a bit gun shy about buying one if I have to use hi-test gas.

Frank
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #148

Michigan
I tow at full 3500 lb load. I never use high octane fuel, doubt i would notice the 9 hp diference. I have learned to tow, using the slect-shift mode and got up to 21 mpg towing at 70mpg last week towing over 700 miles.I use auto mode to get me up to speed on the highway the move in select shift mode you can use it like a stick to stay in a gearm insted of down shifting alot on hills. in northern michigan it is hilly. Leave in auto mode and you will get anywhere from11-18 mpg due to it will allway try to keep at exact speed. untowing you will get realistic 26mpg around town. alot of people are complaining due to cant resist to power pedal..it is as quick as a mustang from the 90's. one mag got the 2.0 se down to 6.2 in o-60.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #149

New York
Excellent Daniel, that is the kinda info I needed. Mama needs to test drive one of these Titaniums, then probably order one if she likes it. Then next year is egg time I hope.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #150

New York
These Titaniums advertise their tow package as a Class II receiver with a 4 pin connector that will handle 3500#s.

I wanted some more information, so found Ford's towing guide online, which says that the GCWR for FWD is 7,477lbs, and for AWD is 7,626. I couldn't find a delivered weight for the Titanium, so stopped at the Ford garage and they told me 3,674lbs with a full tank of fuel and of course all the other liquids full. That's great, because the difference for the AWD is 3,952 (and 149 more lbs for the FWD), which gives plenty of leeway for that 3500# tow capacity. I'm liking these new Escapes more and more!

Frank
Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #151

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
What did you find out about tongue weight limits, Frank? That's often a limiting factor with this class of vehicle. Some with tow "ratings" in the three thousands are limited to as little as two hundred pounds of weight at the hitch. And since stability of RV trailers depends a lot on a tongue-to-total ratio of around ten percent, you can see how capacity will plummet if that's the case with the Escape.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #152

New York
While I have not yet found out for sure Francesca, I believe it is 350#s. Daniel here is towing a weightier rig than I expect we will eventually have, and doing fine. We have yet to even find time for a test drive! Also, Daniel is I believe using a WDH.

Next year I may trade and/or sell my truck and get an FJ Cruiser. If the Escape won't do it, the FJ will!

Frank
Old 07-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #153

New York
Verified! Tongue weight capacity for the Escape Titanium is 350!

Frank
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #154

Name: Ryan
Trailer: in the market
New Brunswick
Hello,

This is my first post and joined as have been researching this topic very extensively. I purchased a 2013 ford escape SE and have some questoins about towing. I'm in the market to purchase a hybrid, i've been looking at light weight models and wondering if i can tow is safetly. I'm fine with getting a WDH or sway bar (don't know much about towing sorry if i got this wrong).

I was looking at this model :

Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite SLX Travel Trailer 16 XRB

Model Specifications 16 XRB
UVW 2575
Hitch Weight 315
GVWR 3500
Cargo Carrying Capacity 925
Exterior Height w/ AC 117"
Interior Height (Living Area) 78"
Fresh Water 20
Gray Water 15
Black Water 9
Exterior Length 18'4"

Another concern i have is the dry weight and tongue weight, does anyone own this model and have the wet weight? or will have i have to track one down and look at the sticket on the door.

My model of escape is the 2.0L ecoboost, 4WD, automatic. It states it can tow 3500LBS, with max 350 tongue weight. Also i opted not to get the tow package as all it includes is a Class 2 hitch receiver and Trailer Sway Control.

With the math the smart part on this forum are doing, will i be okay? i just can't figure this all out. This will be my first time ever having a camper, always tented.

Thanks for the help

Tags
escape