Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #201

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Yup got the 2013 SE in Tuxedo Black 2.0 turbo with tow package. And now I find out the 2014 have the backup camera as a standard feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Rick, did you get the 2 liter ecoboost with the tow package? I bet you'll love towing with it!

Frank
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #202

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
No big deal Rick. I don't know about you, but I been backing up to trailers most my adult life, and will just keep on doing it the old fashioned way. Plus we got a great deal on a 2013. I think ours was an SEL, but not sure, coulda been the same as yours, but Ruby Red!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #203

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

Well it appears that many vehicle have some respectable towing capabilities but are limited to a few accessories like alternator or cooling fan size.

Is that what you are seeing as well Thomas??
It tells me that there is little effort to maximize towing capacity on small suvs and cars.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #204
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I tend to agree. There just doesn't seem to be the interest here on this side of the pond.

My view is that the general population has been conditioned to think they need the big heavy vehicle to tow much of anything.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #205

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Possibly what they're rated to tow and what they can tow are not the same.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #206
MC1

Ontario
Yes Norm, the TV parked in our driveway is proof of that.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #207

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Possibly what they're rated to tow and what they can tow are not the same.
Sure, anything can tow anything... poorly. What they are rated to tow and what is stupid to do are often quite different. The challenge: what needs to be done to intelligently tow more than the rating?

This is supposed to be a 2013 Ford Escape discussion. In this case, Ford has provided very different ratings for different equipment levels - they can all tow a few tons, but why would anyone think that Ford assigned a lower limit for what they should tow to some configurations without a reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
It tells me that there is little effort to maximize towing capacity on small suvs...
True... but difference made by what seem like small changes in equipment don't indicate to me a lack of effort, only a recognition that it makes no sense to equip all vehicles with equipment that only a few will use, and testing (or at least educated guessing) to establish what equipment makes a difference to reliable towing.

If changing cooling fans (not likely fan couplings... nothing has a mechanically driven fan in this century) makes a big difference, that means that the manufacturer has established a significant risk of damage due to overheating under sustained heavy load without that fan change. A vehicle without a trailer/anchor behind it will never experience that sustained heavy load, so it has optimal cooling for normal use; if you pull a trailer, the manufacturer has identified the limiting component which needs to be upgraded.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #208
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

True... but difference made by what seem like small changes in equipment don't indicate to me a lack of effort, only a recognition that it makes no sense to equip all vehicles with equipment that only a few will use, and testing (or at least educated guessing) to establish what equipment makes a difference to reliable towing.
It is interesting that Toyota did a lot of testing of the 2005 Sienna in the variable climates of North America. They decided to equip all Sienna's with the tow pkg, and rated them for 3,500lbs. They did that for a year or two. Not sure when or if they backed away from the idea.

Our family mid size sedan has no tow pkg but has a tranny cooler and custom hd hitch. It has had no problems towing our TT. It now has 225,000klm's on it and is 11 years old. Still runs like a new car.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sure, anything can tow anything... poorly. What they are rated to tow and what is stupid to do are often quite different. The challenge: what needs to be done to intelligently tow more than the rating?

This is supposed to be a 2013 Ford Escape discussion. In this case, Ford has provided very different ratings for different equipment levels - they can all tow a few tons, but why would anyone think that Ford assigned a lower limit for what they should tow to some configurations without a reason?

If changing cooling fans (not likely fan couplings... nothing has a mechanically driven fan in this century) makes a big difference, that means that the manufacturer has established a significant risk of damage due to overheating under sustained heavy load without that fan change. A vehicle without a trailer/anchor behind it will never experience that sustained heavy load, so it has optimal cooling for normal use; if you pull a trailer, the manufacturer has identified the limiting component which needs to be upgraded.
My point is that there is little effort to put together a robust towing package for small SUVs , the Escape being an exception. If one can increase the towing capacity from,say,2000#, to 3500# for several hundred dollars, that is real added value. For an individual to attempt this requires determining the limiting factors, which would probably have to be done by trial and error. The manufacturer would already know these factors based on standard tests that are run as part of vehicle development. I am not suggesting every vehicle come equipped ready to tow, only that a tow package that fully uses the vehicle's towing potential be available.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #210

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

My point is that there is little effort to put together a robust towing package for small SUVs , the Escape being an exception. If one can increase the towing capacity from,say,2000#, to 3500# for several hundred dollars, that is real added value. For an individual to attempt this requires determining the limiting factors, which would probably have to be done by trial and error. The manufacturer would already know these factors based on standard tests that are run as part of vehicle development. I am not suggesting every vehicle come equipped ready to tow, only that a tow package that fully uses the vehicle's towing potential be available.
And the other question is: why does Ford bury the couple hundred $ of equipment necessary to tow at a higher rating under the weight of a bloated $$$$ package? Part of the reason I went with a Nissan pickup was I could get just the towing package without springing for a bunch of stuff that I didn't need. I was looking at the Ford Escape, but calculated that the 10,000 that I saved would buy a lot of gas.

I'm sure Ford will survive quite nicely without my purchase of their product.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #211

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
And the other question is: why does Ford bury the couple hundred $ of equipment necessary to tow at a higher rating under the weight of a bloated $$$$ package? Part of the reason I went with a Nissan pickup was I could get just the towing package without springing for a bunch of stuff that I didn't need.
Odd, it would have cost me $4400 to get the tow package in the titan.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #212

New York
The tow package on our Escape was maybe $400, but it did require the 2 liter ecoboost motor, which I know adds cost. That added cost for the motor also gives you around 240 hp, and that is the primary tow "stuff." And when you're not towing, the Escape will get close to 30 mpg. We've only had ours a few days, and sure do like it!

Frank
Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #213
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Odd, it would have cost me $4400 to get the tow package in the titan.
Wow, that is a pile of money Jared. Do you know what the tow pkg consisted of?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post

And the other question is: why does Ford bury the couple hundred $ of equipment necessary to tow at a higher rating under the weight of a bloated $$$$ package? Part of the reason I went with a Nissan pickup was I could get just the towing package without springing for a bunch of stuff that I didn't need. I was looking at the Ford Escape, but calculated that the 10,000 that I saved would buy a lot of gas.

I'm sure Ford will survive quite nicely without my purchase of their product.
I agree, getting the tow package shouldn't break the bank and additional options actually reduces the maximum towing potential.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #215

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

Wow, that is a pile of money Jared. Do you know what the tow pkg consisted of?
$600 tow package, but it only came with electric mirrors, requiring he power seat/mirror/window/lock package, but that doesn't come in the base model, requiring upgrading from the xe to the se. Just another way to screw you.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #216

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I am curious. Would you new Escape owners mind looking in your owner's manual and seeing if they state any maximum trailer frontal area? I think my old Mountaineer manual specifies something like a 50 square foot limit, if memory serves. So I was wondering if they're saying anything about the Escapes in the manual.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #217

New York
30 square feet for ours. Easy to find, just "googled" it.

Go here: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...scape_oct1.pdf
Old 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #218

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I am curious. Would you new Escape owners mind looking in your owner's manual...
You can also look for yourself - Ford publishes their owners manuals online, at Personalized Vehicle Owner Information. You don't need to own any Ford to use this site.

In the 2013 manual the towing section starts on page 190, and on the next page a table of weight limits are shown, plus a note in the text saying not to exceed 20 sq ft (1.86 m2) without the towing package, or 30 sq ft (2.79 m2) with the towing package.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #219

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Thanks. Hmm, good online resource from Ford, I never knew about the manuals there. 30 square feet.... let's see, for a 6.5' wide trailer, that gives a max height according to their ratings of about 4.6'. Shoot, they must not be putting much of a tranny in there or something. The engine sure has plenty of gumption.

I like the Escape, and it's way way less $$ than an Explorer with 3.5L Eco, but that frontal area rating discourages me. (I tow about 25,000 miles per year.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #220

Kansas
If you were worried about it, I would contact ford directly. There's a big difference between a flat 30' square piece, and a pretty curved 50' square piece.

Tags
escape