Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #197
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
What does that tell you?
Well it appears that many vehicle have some respectable towing capabilities but are limited to a few accessories like alternator or cooling fan size.

Is that what you are seeing as well Thomas??

Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #198

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
My 2009 GMC Canyon, 4 cylinder, 5 speed standard is rated for 2100#s. With an automatic transmission the exact same vehicle is rated for 3100#s.

Frank

Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #199

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Very nice. Welcome all that have bought 2013 Ford Escapes. I love mine and will tow for the first time in 2 weeks. Cant wait to see how it handles.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #200

New York
Rick, did you get the 2 liter ecoboost with the tow package? I bet you'll love towing with it!

Frank
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #201

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Yup got the 2013 SE in Tuxedo Black 2.0 turbo with tow package. And now I find out the 2014 have the backup camera as a standard feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Rick, did you get the 2 liter ecoboost with the tow package? I bet you'll love towing with it!

Frank
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #202

New York
No big deal Rick. I don't know about you, but I been backing up to trailers most my adult life, and will just keep on doing it the old fashioned way. Plus we got a great deal on a 2013. I think ours was an SEL, but not sure, coulda been the same as yours, but Ruby Red!

Frank
Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #203

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

Well it appears that many vehicle have some respectable towing capabilities but are limited to a few accessories like alternator or cooling fan size.

Is that what you are seeing as well Thomas??
It tells me that there is little effort to maximize towing capacity on small suvs and cars.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #204
MC1

Ontario
I tend to agree. There just doesn't seem to be the interest here on this side of the pond.

My view is that the general population has been conditioned to think they need the big heavy vehicle to tow much of anything.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #205

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Possibly what they're rated to tow and what they can tow are not the same.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #206
MC1

Ontario
Yes Norm, the TV parked in our driveway is proof of that.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #207

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Possibly what they're rated to tow and what they can tow are not the same.
Sure, anything can tow anything... poorly. What they are rated to tow and what is stupid to do are often quite different. The challenge: what needs to be done to intelligently tow more than the rating?

This is supposed to be a 2013 Ford Escape discussion. In this case, Ford has provided very different ratings for different equipment levels - they can all tow a few tons, but why would anyone think that Ford assigned a lower limit for what they should tow to some configurations without a reason?

Quote:
It tells me that there is little effort to maximize towing capacity on small suvs...
True... but difference made by what seem like small changes in equipment don't indicate to me a lack of effort, only a recognition that it makes no sense to equip all vehicles with equipment that only a few will use, and testing (or at least educated guessing) to establish what equipment makes a difference to reliable towing.

If changing cooling fans (not likely fan couplings... nothing has a mechanically driven fan in this century) makes a big difference, that means that the manufacturer has established a significant risk of damage due to overheating under sustained heavy load without that fan change. A vehicle without a trailer/anchor behind it will never experience that sustained heavy load, so it has optimal cooling for normal use; if you pull a trailer, the manufacturer has identified the limiting component which needs to be upgraded.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #208
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

True... but difference made by what seem like small changes in equipment don't indicate to me a lack of effort, only a recognition that it makes no sense to equip all vehicles with equipment that only a few will use, and testing (or at least educated guessing) to establish what equipment makes a difference to reliable towing.
It is interesting that Toyota did a lot of testing of the 2005 Sienna in the variable climates of North America. They decided to equip all Sienna's with the tow pkg, and rated them for 3,500lbs. They did that for a year or two. Not sure when or if they backed away from the idea.

Our family mid size sedan has no tow pkg but has a tranny cooler and custom hd hitch. It has had no problems towing our TT. It now has 225,000klm's on it and is 11 years old. Still runs like a new car.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #209

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sure, anything can tow anything... poorly. What they are rated to tow and what is stupid to do are often quite different. The challenge: what needs to be done to intelligently tow more than the rating?

This is supposed to be a 2013 Ford Escape discussion. In this case, Ford has provided very different ratings for different equipment levels - they can all tow a few tons, but why would anyone think that Ford assigned a lower limit for what they should tow to some configurations without a reason?

If changing cooling fans (not likely fan couplings... nothing has a mechanically driven fan in this century) makes a big difference, that means that the manufacturer has established a significant risk of damage due to overheating under sustained heavy load without that fan change. A vehicle without a trailer/anchor behind it will never experience that sustained heavy load, so it has optimal cooling for normal use; if you pull a trailer, the manufacturer has identified the limiting component which needs to be upgraded.
My point is that there is little effort to put together a robust towing package for small SUVs , the Escape being an exception. If one can increase the towing capacity from,say,2000#, to 3500# for several hundred dollars, that is real added value. For an individual to attempt this requires determining the limiting factors, which would probably have to be done by trial and error. The manufacturer would already know these factors based on standard tests that are run as part of vehicle development. I am not suggesting every vehicle come equipped ready to tow, only that a tow package that fully uses the vehicle's towing potential be available.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #210

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Quote:

My point is that there is little effort to put together a robust towing package for small SUVs , the Escape being an exception. If one can increase the towing capacity from,say,2000#, to 3500# for several hundred dollars, that is real added value. For an individual to attempt this requires determining the limiting factors, which would probably have to be done by trial and error. The manufacturer would already know these factors based on standard tests that are run as part of vehicle development. I am not suggesting every vehicle come equipped ready to tow, only that a tow package that fully uses the vehicle's towing potential be available.
And the other question is: why does Ford bury the couple hundred $ of equipment necessary to tow at a higher rating under the weight of a bloated $$$$ package? Part of the reason I went with a Nissan pickup was I could get just the towing package without springing for a bunch of stuff that I didn't need. I was looking at the Ford Escape, but calculated that the 10,000 that I saved would buy a lot of gas.

I'm sure Ford will survive quite nicely without my purchase of their product.

Tags
escape